• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hoping for some thoughts from mormons

benjosh

curiouslyminty said:
Benjosh- Everything you say only works if we assume the BoM to be inspired revelation. I put it against the test of a false prophet, It fails. I see if it trys to persuade me to something different than the God of the bible, and again I see that It does.

I could say the same things to you.

There is to be a test for prophecy,
1 Cor.14:29: "Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge."
l Thess. 5:19-22 "Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil."
Matt.7:16-24 vs.15: "Beware of false prophets that come to you in sheep’s clothing."

The Greek word for “judge” is “diachronic” and means “to doubt, discriminate, or separate thoroughly.

Acts 17:11 tells us that when Paul came to the Berean's, they reacted to his teachings by searching the Word of God to see if Paul was preaching the truth. Paul called them more noble than the Thessalonians because they were concerned with discerning Truth, using Scripture as the standard. Paul did not discourage them from questioning his teaching even though he was an apostle. He approved of it.

Training ourselves to hear the Shepherds voice, his word keeps us from harm. When the Bereans heard what seemed like new truth from Paul, they went directly to the word. Not just prayed, they searched the word. THAT my friend is the ultimate test. And I believe it to fail.

Rom.16:17-18: “Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.”

I say the current mormon apostles dont act like the biblical ones at all. They would say If ANYTHING I say doesn't match up whats already there, Its false. But now mormons believe they have something new, something better. I don't think mormon's clarifyed and expounded, they created something new. A true apostle would not have had to seperate into a different group with a heirarchy setup of the church. He would have brought it, it been tested by the word of God, and found to be true.

I would believe you are the one who is deceived. For God would never leave a billion people who follow his word to a less than perfect ending. I don't see how mormons can believe that they are the only ones with a complete version of the scripture.

Nothing works if you don't have revelation.

You started this thread of hoping for some thoughts from Mormons, well now that you have more thoughts than you can handle. I'll just step out of the picture until you settle down and start talking like a follower of Christ.

BenJosh

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
benjosh said:
You started this thread of hoping for some thoughts from Mormons, well now that you have more thoughts than you can handle. I'll just step out of the picture until you settle down and start talking like a follower of Christ.
I agree. The tone of your remarks has changed significantly since you first opened this thread, CM, and I think benjosh has just about summed it up for all of us. I'm sorry that your found our attempt to answer your questions to be unsatisfactory. I believe we all did the best we could. You have evidently come to some pretty firm conclusions about our beliefs and history. In my opinion, if you get your information from questionable sources, you can pretty much expect it to be less than reliable. If I wanted to learn about your Church (I don't know what it is, but I'm guessing it's maybe Southern Baptist), I would not go to a Catholic-sponsored website for my information. If I wanted accurate information on Catholicism, I would not expect to find it on a website sponsored by Jehovah's Witnesses. To me, that's just logical.

At this point, it definitely doesn't appear as if any of us are going to be able to do anything at all to change your mind, so from here on out, most of the conversation is probably going to be pretty counter-productive and hurtful. Consequently, I'll be bowing out of all future conversations with you about my Church. I guess if you're happy where you are and I'm happy with where I am, maybe we ought to both just try to be happy for one another.

Aqualung

Tasty
curiouslyminty said:
I put it against the test of a false prophet, It fails.
The BoM fails? Then why haven't you brought up those failure in the "Abrahamic-Mormons" thread you posted in a couple times.

curiouslyminty said:
I see if it trys to persuade me to something different than the God of the bible, and again I see that It does.
But again, you have failed to point out where.

curiouslyminty said:
I could say the same things to you.

There is to be a test for prophecy,
1 Cor.14:29: "Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge."
l Thess. 5:19-22 "Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil."
Matt.7:16-24 vs.15: "Beware of false prophets that come to you in sheep?s clothing."
So? The BoM is just another prophet speaking of christ.

curiouslyminty said:
Acts 17:11 tells us that when Paul came to the Berean's, they reacted to his teachings by searching the Word of God to see if Paul was preaching the truth. Paul called them more noble than the Thessalonians because they were concerned with discerning Truth, using Scripture as the standard. Paul did not discourage them from questioning his teaching even though he was an apostle. He approved of it.
Once again, I tell you that if you use the scriptures as a standard, like Paul commended them for doing, you won't find the BoM to be a "false prophet." You should be the one taking Paul's advice.

curiouslyminty said:
Training ourselves to hear the Shepherds voice, his word keeps us from harm. When the Bereans heard what seemed like new truth from Paul, they went directly to the word. Not just prayed, they searched the word. THAT my friend is the ultimate test. And I believe it to fail.
You believe it to fail? You mean you never tried it? I believed it would fail as well, but upon trial, the BoM held up perfectly.

curiouslyminty said:
Rom.16:17-18: ?Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple.?
Here you are again, saying that our gospel is contradictory, yet offering not one little iota of evidence to the same. SEriously, start giving examples.

curiouslyminty said:
I say the current mormon apostles dont act like the biblical ones at all.
Oh? (once again, I find myself searching your replies for actual meat, instead of just baseless accusations.)

curiouslyminty said:
They would say If ANYTHING I say doesn't match up whats already there, Its false.
They also lived in a time when scripture was still at least a bit more pure than it is today, not after it has gone through numerous retranslations and revisions at the whim of rulers and kings.

curiouslyminty said:
But now mormons believe they have something new, something better.
Not. We believe we have the same stuff, not something new. It's the same stuff as teh original apostles had, but stuff that has been lost through the proces I just described.

curiouslyminty said:
I don't think mormon's clarifyed and expounded, they created something new.
Well, ,that's your opinion, but so far you have not given me any reason to belive that this is actually based in studyings of your own.

curioslyminty said:
A true apostle would not have had to seperate into a different group with a heirarchy setup of the church.
REally? INteresting you say taht, because that's exactly what Jesus (not the apostles) did, and which Paul reminded us of in at least one of his epistles. Actually, I'm sure if I even understand what you were saying. :D

curiouslyminty said:
I would believe you are the one who is deceived. For God would never leave a billion people who follow his word to a less than perfect ending. I don't see how mormons can believe that they are the only ones with a complete version of the scripture.
Huh. Yet once again, you just base in on these mysterious "beliefs" that you give no basis for.

My tone has changed only because my opinion has changed. I began by thinking, maybe the BoM is true but the church has just lost its way. But since then I have realized that even that is too much. I know we are done :) So I will not post any more here.

Since you wanted to know my denomination I'll tell you I attend a PCA (presbo) church but do not completely agree with all of the PCA's thoughts. I follow the orthodox scripture to the best of my ability no matter the denomination. Its not a title that saves. (baptism being really the only dispute I have)