• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hopes for the new Hymn Book

SoyLeche

meh...
Are there any songs you are specifically wanting to see kept or gone from the new Hymn Book?

Looking at the spreadsheet I kept when I was in charge of choosing the Sacrament Meeting music (yes, I kept a spreadsheet and I'm not ashamed), in 2 1/2 years there were more than half (187 out of 341) of the songs I never touched - moslty because I had no idea what the song was like and had no real interest in trying to figure it out. For referece, in the time I was in charge we sang a total of 260 songs, so we didn't have time to sing all of them anyway - but my spreadsheet helped me know that I wasn't just missing some songs that I knew :)

Anyway - There are several very popular songs that will hopefully stay (The Spirit of God, High on the Mountain Top, etc). I'd like to keep most of the Sacrament Hymns (maybe just pick a tune for While of These Emblems We Partake and 'Tis Sweet to Sing the Matchless Love and go with them...). The Christmas songs are fine - maybe we can get a couple good new ones in there.

It would be nice to have something other than "Ring Out Wild Bells" to sing around New Year's, and we could stand for a few more specific Easter hymns.

Get rid of the Patriotic songs, and any that are pretty much exclusively about Utah (Our Mountain Home So Dear, and In Our Lovely Deseret needs to go for many, many reasons).

Come Thou Fount will probably be put back in, although in my opinion that's a better choir piece than a congregational one. I've heard people say that they'd like to see "Amazing Grace", but I hope not - it's pretty and all, but there really isn't much to that song and I think we can do better.

There were several thousand new songs written and submitted, so hopefully we'll see some really good new stuff. My mother-in-law wrote a couple new ones, and I think one of them has a chance, but probably not.

A friend on facebook posted these, which I got a kick out of...

39176340_10218869377152374_2521194666594926592_o.jpg

38878152_10218869376872367_863912588323323904_o.jpg

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

dianaiad

Don't care, as long as "If you should Hie to Kolob" stays and the 'you hoo" song remains fixed....Mind you, more Christmas carols would be good.

dianaiad

I have a feeling you will be disapointed, but I guess we'll have to wait and see

I'm not sure which song you are referring to here

You are too young. Unless you remember the song that contained "You who unto Jesus, You who unto Jesus, You who unto Jesus for comfort have fled?"

True. Although, it's already tough to get through them all at 2-3 per week for 4-ish weeks.

Not possible. Not possible for there to be too many Christmas carols.

dianaiad

Ah, gotcha. Never thought of it that way. Now I’ll never be able not to :)

Well, that tells me that you are not a native of Idaho, Utah...or California. ;)

Come to think of it, every Mormon in England I met referred to it that way, as well. It's why they changed the words.;)

SoyLeche

meh...
Well, that tells me that you are not a native of Idaho, Utah...or California. ;)

Come to think of it, every Mormon in England I met referred to it that way, as well. It's why they changed the words.;)

I grew up in Utah. Haven’t lived there for 20 years or so though.

If a job comes through we might be moving to Idaho. It won’t come through though...

SoyLeche

meh...
A couple contentious ones from the Children's songbook:

I'd like to see Book of Mormon Stories go away. The song in and of itself is okay, I guess, but I think the native american theme of it is a bit offensive (especially with the feather finger stuff in the actions we used growing up).

I'm also not a big fan of Follow the Prophet. I know they were going for an Old Testament kind of feel, but the minor key of it makes it sound like it's trying to make a bunch of mindless drones (imagine the kids singing it with their hands raised in front of them and their heads cocked to one side...)

Although, if they keep Follow the Prophet, they need to include the verse about Elisha:

Elisha was a prophet, didn't have much hair.
So the children teased him, said his head was bare.
Then out came the grizzlies, ate them through and through.
If you mock the prophet, bears will eat you too.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Very telling if they get rid of “If You could Hie to Kolob.”

How about some Michael McClean tunes?