• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope it's alright I came back

Just_me_Mike

I am curious about anyone on the forum that has erased the idea of a God or power or force or source of life, in that there is no possibility left in the persons mind that everything was created intentionally.

If you feel this way what exactly has prompted you or gotten you to this point?

Regards

linwood

I am curious about anyone on the forum that has erased the idea of a God or power or force or source of life, in that there is no possibility left in the persons mind that everything was created intentionally.

I have not "erased" this idea, I`ve never held this idea.

I simply have never seen any evidence to support the idea.

I have however seen a lot of evidence that points to purely natural systems being responsible for everything.

Just_me_Mike

I have not "erased" this idea, I`ve never held this idea.

I simply have never seen any evidence to support the idea.

I have however seen a lot of evidence that points to purely natural systems being responsible for everything.

You know I never believed in anything until I was about 18. However I can't remember a time in my whole childhood that I did not have a vague notion of infinity or eternal or God or something out there unseen.

You are unique. Have you ever looked for evidence to support the idea? Just curious.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm with linwood.
As soon as I see convincing evidence for intentionality, God, or the Easter bunny I'll be happy to believe. No problem.

Just_me_Mike

I'm with linwood.
As soon as I see convincing evidence for intentionality, God, or the Easter bunny I'll be happy to believe. No problem.
I see that you place the idea of a source of power (an intentional source) with the idea of the Easter Bunny.
I suppose I narrowed my OP to much, because you are not saying you don't leave open the idea, just as of now everything you have been exposed to in regard to an intentional source of power behind everything is no more convicing than the Easter Bunny.

Do you think you are easily convinced on matters? I can't imagine living without the belief there is nothing devine out there.

Thanks for the reply.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
I'm open minded. I don't deny that there could be a god, but quite frankly, I don't let that question keep me up all night.

If there is a god, he doesn't care whether or not I believe in him. So... *shrugs*

Just_me_Mike

I'm open minded. I don't deny that there could be a god, but quite frankly, I don't let that question keep me up all night.

If there is a god, he doesn't care whether or not I believe in him. So... *shrugs*

I would agree, that God's will is just that, God's will. In that will I suppose he has use for individuals, but they can't take credit for any of it, because God would have been the chess player and us all just pons.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Possibility is a worthless threshold: all manner of nonsense is conceptually possible. So what?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Power I have no problem with. Intentionality, on the other hand, I don't see much evidence of.
Easily convinced? I think I'm pretty open to new ideas and discoveries.

As far as your stated lack of imagination, I don't see how that would have any bearing on reality. Reality is what it is even if it's disturbing or 'incredible'. Incredulity isn't an argument for anything.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have simply moved beyond a need for a god concept. I no longer find the need for god to be compelling enough to be worthy of my support. Too many questions are glossed over by the concept that "god did it" for my comfort and I much rather prefer to say, "I don't know" than "God did it". At least with one perspective I can keep an open mind and look to what are perhaps better answers than to settle for incomplete answers, that in truth, answer precious little.

linwood

Not even as a kid?

Before the age of four I have no coherent memories so I suppose it is possible I held such a belief.

However, I remember myself at a Catholic Sunday school hiding out in the back of the bus with a couple other kids avoiding the days end mass and having the revelation that the grown ups actually believed there was a real god person and wondering why they held such a belief.
Until then I assumed god was indeed like the Easter bunny for grown ups.I thought it was a game.
I must have been around 4-5 years old.

Other than that Sunday school I didn`t have much religious influence in my life as my family were Easter Catholics who went to mass only for such special events.

Have you ever looked for evidence to support the idea? Just curious.

Extensively.

I`ve studied mysticism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and the veracity of other paranormal phenomenon.

I`ve found nothing to convince me.

Just_me_Mike

I have simply moved beyond a need for a god concept. I no longer find the need for god to be compelling enough to be worthy of my support. Too many questions are glossed over by the concept that "god did it" for my comfort and I much rather prefer to say, "I don't know" than "God did it". At least with one perspective I can keep an open mind and look to what are perhaps better answers than to settle for incomplete answers, that in truth, answer precious little.

Understood, as I share in your view. Though I believe in God for some reason, I know there is not anything to put on a table and say here, look at this.

It doesn't sound like you are against the idea, just as you say moved on.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
linwood is not that unique (at least not in this respect). I also have never held a belief that everything was intentionally created (not even as a kid). When I was a child I use to believe in ghosts and monsters all kinds of stuff, but I never believed in “God”. It wasn’t until I was a teenager that I considered the idea seriously, but I never came to a point where I accepted it as truth. I have never encountered any evidence, argument, or reason compelling enough.

But I have considered the idea and continue to consider it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Before the age of four I have no coherent memories so I suppose it is possible I held such a belief.

However, I remember myself at a Catholic Sunday school hiding out in the back of the bus with a couple other kids avoiding the days end mass and having the revelation that the grown ups actually believed there was a real god person and wondering why they held such a belief.
Until then I assumed god was indeed like the Easter bunny for grown ups.I thought it was a game.
I must have been around 4-5 years old.

Other than that Sunday school I didn`t have much religious influence in my life as my family were Easter Catholics who went to mass only for such special events.
Well, that makes sense.

fantôme profane;1570329 said:
linwood is not that unique (at least not in this respect). I also have never held a belief that everything was intentionally created (not even as a kid). When I was a child I use to believe in ghosts and monsters all kinds of stuff, but I never believed in “God”. It wasn’t until I was a teenager that I considered the idea seriously, but I never came to a point where I accepted it as truth. I have never encountered any evidence, argument, or reason compelling enough.

But I have considered the idea and continue to consider it.
OK. :)

themadhair

Even when I was a kid and believe in god I thought the whole thing was rather arbitrary. The idea of god intentionally interfering in our lives never appealed to me. Since, as a kid, my experiences of my immediate vicinity were all I really had I don’t think I have thought of anything attributed to god as being ‘intentional’ in that way.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

If you feel this way what exactly has prompted you or gotten you to this point?

Education, experience, reason, and wisdom.

Just_me_Mike

Education, experience, reason, and wisdom.

So are you saying it is a part of enlightenment to realize there is no intentional power source.

There are many within the words you subscribe to your direction that went the opposite direction.
So, are you closed to the idea of this power source?
Have you moved on?
Are you still seeking for it?
Would you like there to be one?

thanks for sharing