• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honoring our returning soldiers

Melody

I'm sitting here watching the 11:00 news and one of the stories was of a Michigan man who returned from serving in Iraq for the last two years and applied for admission as an in-state resident at one of the universities. Unfortunately for him, university officials decided that instead of paying $500 as a state resident, he would have to pay over $2000 as an out of state resident....because he was in Iraq and, therefore, not actually a resident of the state.

Gotta love it.

Melody

Jensa said:
Do you lose residency while serving overseas? Have I missed something?
Most of my mom's side of the family has served in the military and while stationed anywhere, even in the U.S., kept their original state driver's license as it was considered their official "residence".

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I can't see why on earth they wouldn't consider him a resident unless there's a rule about having to have been in the state for the past x months/years... in which case that's kinda wonky.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
:( I hope that school does the right thing and gives him the in-state rate. I'm sure he's paid taxes in Michigan, and has earned it.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Arrrrghhh, that's horrible! As you said, Captain, I hope it does the right thing.

I offer free chair massages for our local soldiers, and their families. People who are going through enough stress as it is don't deserve to have it added to.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I think I am right in saying, that here in England, soldiers are regarded as being at home (in the way that their mail is addressed to BFPO (british forces posted overseas) - I would have thought that they qualify for anything that would be available to them, wherever their English base is.:)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I thought military personal could get in-state status in any state. I guess I was misinformed about that. :confused:

I hope they reconsider their decision for that man. That's just wrong.

Ori

Angel slayer
What an abnormal situation, and this is supposed to be the greatest nation on Earth? Oh please...

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Yet another sad story about our soldiers being slighted...

And liberals are the one not supporting our troops? :confused:

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
jamaesi said:
And liberals are the one not supporting our troops? :confused:
Did I miss something? What does liberalism have to do with this case?

The story seems very weird to me. There would have to be more to it. If a service man or women declares residency in a particular state and is then sent oversees, the residency of that state is kept as long as that person keeps the residency laws of the state. This usually pertains to tax laws. If this person had the residency established prior to being deployed, there shouldn't be a problem. If this person has just returned and has not filed for residency before, it can be left to the discresion of the school whether or not to grant in state tuition. This happened to me when I moved to Texas and started school after coming off of active duty in the Marine Corps. While I initially did not receive in state tuition, I appealed the decision to the Texas Department of Education and was granted the discounted tuition. I am sure they will make this right....or at least I sincerely hope so.