• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honor Killings

Marble

Rolling Marble
Okay, I did a web search in honor killings outside Islamic contexts and found some interesting stuff.

'Honor' Killing of Wives Is Outlawed in Brazil, that article was written in 1991!
Brazil's Supreme Court has ruled that a man can no longer kill his wife and win acquittal on the ground of "legitimate defense of honor."

The ruling ends a 10-year legal battle. "It's a historic decision," said Jacqueline Pitanguy, a Brazilian women's rights leader.

Although never part of the legal code of Brazil, the "defense of honor" strategy has been used by lawyers to win acquittals in thousands of cases of men on trial for murdering their wives.
According to a study in Sao Paulo State for the period 1980-81, 722 men claimed defense of their honor as justification for killing women accused of adultery.

Rallying under the slogan "Lovers Don't Kill," Brazilian women campaigned in the 1980's against tolerance of the defense and against violence against women.

In India, there are cases of dowry death and bride burning.
Dowry death is, when a family tortures and harrasses a daughter-in-law in order to make her family pay more dowry.
Bride burning is, when a wife is killed to give a man the possibility to remarry and get dowry again from the family of his new wife.

Haiti: Article 269 of the penal code states "in the case of adultery as provided for in Article 284, the murder by a husband of his wife and/or her partner, immediately upon discovering them in flagrante delicto
in the conjugal abode, is to be pardoned."
source

sadhak

Okay, I did a web search in honor killings outside Islamic contexts and found some interesting stuff.

'Honor' Killing of Wives Is Outlawed in Brazil, that article was written in 1991!

In India, there are cases of dowry death and bride burning.

source

Dowry deaths or bride burning probably do not fall under the category of honor killing. No matter what the reason killing can never be justified. What is called as bride burning is rare in India(Yes it happens:eek: ) and i am glad the Indian society looks down upon those perpetrating these crimes.

cablescavenger

LOL way to use an anti-Islamic website as your source for Hadith. :facepalm:
I'm not denying that these horrible honor killings occurred, but I personally believe those Hadith cited are against the spirit of the Qur'an and the Prophet's treatment of women...and are not advocating honor killings.

I haven't claimed it to be the preserve of just Muslims. I posted the link on Muslims because of the denials on the thread, yet denying there is an issue in the faith doesn't help anyone. It is better to own up to rogue elements and poor Hadiths and confront them.

Islam watch is run by apostates, people who know the religion and it's teachings well. Not really Anti-Muslim in the racist sense, just in the rejection sense.

If you don't accept that here is another you might since it also separates and includes other religions.

I understand what you say about the spirit of Islam, and understand it to be a low percentage of Muslims, but it still happens, and there are Hadiths that support violence toward women, which is all I was saying.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Dowry deaths or bride burning probably do not fall under the category of honor killing.
I think they could be reagarded as honor killings for these reasons:
When the family of a girl cannot afford to marry her or to marry her with a good dowry, the family feels dishonord.
Likewise, when a family cannot afford to satisfy the wishes of their daughter's in-laws, they migt feel ashamed.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dowry deaths or bride burning probably do not fall under the category of honor killing. No matter what the reason killing can never be justified. What is called as bride burning is rare in India(Yes it happens:eek: ) and i am glad the Indian society looks down upon those perpetrating these crimes.

Call them what you will, but they are horrible killings of women for twisted reasons. I'm glad Indian society frowns upon this practice as well.

I haven't claimed it to be the preserve of just Muslims. I posted the link on Muslims because of the denials on the thread, yet denying there is an issue in the faith doesn't help anyone. It is better to own up to rogue elements and poor Hadiths and confront them.

Islam watch is run by apostates, people who know the religion and it's teachings well. Not really Anti-Muslim in the racist sense, just in the rejection sense.

If you don't accept that here is another you might since it also separates and includes other religions.

I understand what you say about the spirit of Islam, and understand it to be a low percentage of Muslims, but it still happens, and there are Hadiths that support violence toward women, which is all I was saying.

I know it still happens, and it makes me ill. My hope is that this practice, as well as all violence towards women, stops.

sadhak

I think they could be reagarded as honor killings for these reasons:
When the family of a girl cannot afford to marry her or to marry her with a good dowry, the family feels dishonord.
Likewise, when a family cannot afford to satisfy the wishes of their daughter's in-laws, they migt feel ashamed.

Its bit of difficult for me to explain but you can't get an idea unless you live in a Hindu joint family. Anyways whatever the case, killing any person with selfish motives is never justifiable.

cablescavenger

Call them what you will, but they are horrible killings of women for twisted reasons. I'm glad Indian society frowns upon this practice as well.

I know it still happens, and it makes me ill. My hope is that this practice, as well as all violence towards women, stops.

Mine too.