• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honor Killings

I just watched this show that was talking about the Islamic Honor killing of a young girl and while I'm not Islam I feel this was a disgusting act there is no honor in murdering your child. But I'm not advocating violence just venting. Does the Koran condone this or is it something taken out of context?

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Honor killings have no place in Islam. They are done by evil people who think they are saving the reputation of their families, when in fact they are just being evil.

"Whoever kills a believer intentionally, their reward will be Hell, to abide therein forever, and the wrath and the curse of Allah are upon them, and a dreadful penalty is prepared for them." (Holy Quran, Chapter 4, Verse 93)

"On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone kills a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if they killed all people. And if any one saved a life, it would be as if they saved the life of all people." (Holy Quran, Chapter 5, Verse 32)

"Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor kill lives which Allah has made sacred, except for just cause, nor commit fornication, and any person that does this meets punishment, and their penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled, and they will dwell therein in ignominy, unless they repent, believe and perform righteous deeds, for Allah will change the evil of such persons into good, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Holy Quran, Chapter 25, Verse 68)

More can be found here:

Does Islam Approve Of Honour Killings Of Women?

gnostic

The Lost One
ssainhu said:
Honor killings have no place in Islam. They are done by evil people who think they are saving the reputation of their families, when in fact they are just being evil.

It is not just the honor or reputation of the families they believe they are protecting. Some have the misguided belief of protecting Islam's reputation. The only thing they are ended up doing is tarnishing Islam's image.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not just the honor or reputation of the families they believe they are protecting. Some have the misguided belief of protecting Islam's reputation. The only thing they are ended up doing is tarnishing Islam's image.

This is very true. I can't frubal from my phone, but I owe you frubals. :D

It is often difficult to separate the religion from the act, because how a person from that faith behaves is often our only insight to that faith. It's a shame that honor killings have made their way into any faith or culture. I can only hope that with education and tolerance, we can abolish these senseless killings altogether.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I read not to long ago of a man who tried to burn his daughter for dating a jew. It was a sad story.

But I don't think these are common occurances. For the most part all the muslims iv met, and I go to a school with a large muslim population, are very nice and friendly. Some are even a bit ghetto. Which kills the whole stereotype of muslims being extremly conservative and orthodox. As the type who seem to do these honor killings.

Note; this is just my observation. One coming from someone who before five months ago nevr met a muslim in person before.

gnostic

The Lost One
ssainhu said:
It is often difficult to separate the religion from the act, because how a person from that faith behaves is often our only insight to that faith.

Like you said, it could be due to limited education:

ssainhu said:
It's a shame that honor killings have made their way into any faith or culture. I can only hope that with education and tolerance, we can abolish these senseless killings altogether.

I have to wonder who has been teaching what's right and what's wrong to these people. Did they read or learn the scriptures themselves or did they learned it from clerics or imams?

I find it horrifying that some people (not just Muslims) think they can solve any family problem through bloodshed or violence.

ssainhu said:
This is very true. I can't frubal from my phone, but I owe you frubals. :D

Not to worry, ssainhu. I'll frubal you. :)

kai

ragamuffin
People can use religious scripture to justify anything, cultural influences are involved here, If such acts were "unthinkable" in the culture you grow up in or live in day to day then it would be a lot harder to justify it.

Vultar

"On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone kills a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if they killed all people. And if any one saved a life, it would be as if they saved the life of all people." (Holy Quran, Chapter 5, Verse 32)

Here you see that the Quran allows for people to kill someone if they have killed or for speading mischief, this leaves it pretty open to kill and to try to justify it as mischief from the person who was killed. That is just plain evil, but is how they try to justify honour killings.

kai

ragamuffin
Here you see that the Quran allows for people to kill someone if they have killed or for speading mischief, this leaves it pretty open to kill and to try to justify it as mischief from the person who was killed. That is just plain evil, but is how they try to justify honour killings.

Its like i said some people will use religious texts to justify their own actions be they Muslim or any other religion.

basically you can pull out a text from the bible or the Quran and interpret it as a defense.

A little hard to do though if the society you live in and were brought up in finds that action abhorrent.

Vultar

That's why I don't belive in the death penalty. Any intentional killing of another person is evil.

gnostic

The Lost One
vultar said:
That's why I don't belive in the death penalty. Any intentional killing of another person is evil.

I would accept death penalty for mass murderers and serial murderers. Even serial rapists deserve death.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I would accept death penalty for mass murderers and serial murderers. Even serial rapists deserve death.

One does not "Accept" the death penalty.
One is either part of the system or not.

Honour killings are a real problem in the UK, only second to forced marriages.
Until those societies doing them accept that they are wrong, they will continue. They are already proscribed by law, and religious authority.

gnostic

The Lost One
terrywoodenpic said:
One does not "Accept" the death penalty.
One is either part of the system or not.

I think people who commit honor killing should also be sentence to death. Fathers who killed their daughters or husbands killing their wives don't deserve life prison sentence.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I think people who commit honor killing should also be sentence to death. Fathers who killed their daughters or husbands killing their wives don't deserve life prison sentence.

I agree. Why should society support the existence of a monster in prison? Those funds would be better spent on other projects.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I read not to long ago of a man who tried to burn his daughter for dating a jew. It was a sad story.

But I don't think these are common occurances. For the most part all the muslims iv met, and I go to a school with a large muslim population, are very nice and friendly. Some are even a bit ghetto. Which kills the whole stereotype of muslims being extremly conservative and orthodox. As the type who seem to do these honor killings.

Note; this is just my observation. One coming from someone who before five months ago nevr met a muslim in person before.
When I was stationed as a younger soldier in the main border crossing with Gaza I used to do various things to pass the time. I also used to read a Palestinian daily newspaper, to my surprise it had a pretty liberal perspective, and while I was expecting to read about the woes of the occupation, what I got was an honest criticism of Palestinian society. one of the themes was exposing the honor killings phenomenon, which is apparently widespread in Palestinian society, I read about plenty of girls who are murdered by their familes after they have been raped, because they put the honor of the family to shame. in various cultures around the world, honor killings are high in numbers, for example in Pakistan. it is definitely a problem, a phenomenon I would say.

Vultar

I read about plenty of girls who are murdered by their familes after they have been raped, because they put the honor of the family to shame.

Like it is the girls fault she was raped. What a twisted society....

beerisit

Like so much of the world, I think that religion is used as an excuse for mans atrocities enacted in the name of patriarchy. Men are superior to women and all else, honor killings are merely a symptom of that miss held belief. Religion is just the justification they use, no matter what religion.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Like it is the girls fault she was raped. What a twisted society....
Still, it was a Palestinian newspaper which criticised and exposed the phenomenon, which means that there are plenty of people in the society who wish to eradicate it.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
When I was stationed as a younger soldier in the main border crossing with Gaza I used to do various things to pass the time. I also used to read a Palestinian daily newspaper, to my surprise it had a pretty liberal perspective, and while I was expecting to read about the woes of the occupation, what I got was an honest criticism of Palestinian society. one of the themes was exposing the honor killings phenomenon, which is apparently widespread in Palestinian society, I read about plenty of girls who are murdered by their familes after they have been raped, because they put the honor of the family to shame. in various cultures around the world, honor killings are high in numbers, for example in Pakistan. it is definitely a problem, a phenomenon I would say.

At least there is some liberal drive to change this is Palestinian society. Its very hard to understand such thing which leads to "honor killing". If my daughter or sister (God forbid) was attacked sexually, id rather kill the man. As for who they date, as long as its not a creep or bad company, id be fine.

But