• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honest opinion about the Israeli -Palestinian conflict?

I'm currently doing a project on this conflict in school and I have been asking various people in their opinions on it. I would be very thankful if you could share with me your own views too: so I might get a greater insight and knowledge on one of the most controversial issues of modern times!

Anthem

That is vague.

Essentially. Palestinians are the oppressed, israelis are terrorists.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
IMO this is an extremely complex situation. I'm suspicious of anyone who thinks that there are clear good guys and clear bad guys in this conflict.

However, zooming out, it strikes me that regional leaders have been callously using the Palestinians as cannon fodder for decades. For example, what could justify the fact that in Jordan there are now 4th generation refugees living in camps?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Might be a good shout to meet Palestinians and Israelis to talk to about it.

You'd think, wouldn't you? But as I understand it, their leaders have long since stopped representing the wishes of the people, who - I'm pretty sure - want a two state solution.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm currently doing a project on this conflict in school and I have been asking various people in their opinions on it. I would be very thankful if you could share with me your own views too: so I might get a greater insight and knowledge on one of the most controversial issues of modern times!

The Jews were oppressed and are afraid of becoming oppressed again. The Palestinians are oppressed and there's no one really wanting to help them to get out of their situation. They are a convenient poster child of oppression used by the anti-semites.

No help from the West, no help from the Middle-East. Their oppression provides some folks with power but it's not the Israelis benefiting from it.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Though the state of Israel has only been around since 1948 I'd say we have to also consider the fact that Muslims and Jews have been fighting off and on since about the sixth or seventh century, lot's of blood on everyone's hands. The first forty of fifty pages of the Koran has many not so pleasant references to Jews, I am pretty sure the Jews have something similar about Muslims. I do not believe I will see any lasting peace while I am alive.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Before the Six Day War in 1967 there is a different political mindset in Israel and in the surrounding territories. It was not only that Israel had been attacked but that the war reflected certain Bible passages and seemed miraculous to many. It was a sign to some that Israel was not merely a secular refuge for Jews. This created a new religious mindset on all sides.

In 1967, Israel's Six-Day War Changed Religion - The Atlantic

Six-Day War | Causes & Summary

In addition this site (foreignaffairs.com) is maintained by scholars and diplomats: Israel This will give you the kind of current information that Congress and the US President receive, minus immediate military info and sensitive material.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I would be very thankful if you could share with me your own views too
For what it's worth, there are already any number of threads, here on RF, on this subject you could explore.
Rather than having a bunch of people repeat themselves to save you the trouble of research.

Jus' sayin....
Tom

Tumah

Veteran Member
The first forty of fifty pages of the Koran has many not so pleasant references to Jews, I am pretty sure the Jews have something similar about Muslims.
That would be odd, wouldn't you think? Judaism's holy books were written before Islam became a thing. It'd be great if you can point me to some mainstream Jewish sources that talk about Islam in a similar fashion as the Qur'an speak about Jews. Or at all really.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The longer this conflict continues, the longer the ministers can milk it. I have been through such sermons about how Israel this and that and how its evidence Jesus is about to return. It goes on and on and on. For me this is not really about 'Israel' the country but about how long am I going to keep seeing the same vicious arguments about Revelation and Jesus flying down, landing barefoot on the Mt. of Olives and about how important it is that Jesus returns, physically. Even so I empathize with Israel. It actually is a refuge for Jews who actually have been driven from many countries, and so I hope that things go well and the conflict ends for their sakes, too. I would also like to believe that the folks in Gaza and in West Bank have a chance to restore their dignity, however I think that can only begin with a peace treaty.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That would be odd, wouldn't you think? Judaism's holy books were written before Islam became a thing. It'd be great if you can point me to some mainstream Jewish sources that talk about Islam in a similar fashion as the Qur'an speak about Jews. Or at all really.
Some refreshments while you wait, Sir? I'm afraid you may be here a while.

Shaul

Premium Member
The Israelis and Palestinians are not the main cause of the conflict. The root cause is outsiders exploiting the situation for their own purposes.

Why do you say this conflict as is most controversial? There are many other conflicts within more fatalities and casualties. Take the Syrian conflict for example. Or what about the conflict between India and Pakistan? There have been millions of deaths in that conflict, and it continues. A conflict between two nuclear armed nations. Why does the Israeli-Palestinian conflict cause more controversy that’s that? The suffering in South Sudan is terrible. There is a proxy war in Yemen between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

So why do you think the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is more controversial?

Kirran

Premium Member
You'd think, wouldn't you? But as I understand it, their leaders have long since stopped representing the wishes of the people, who - I'm pretty sure - want a two state solution.

I agree with you on that point re the leaders and the people's wishes, but stop short in agreeing with you that they want a two state solution!

Jumi

It's a conflict that wouldn't exist if people put people before religion. Extremism from one side feeds extremism on the other. It's only about how low can one go before international community has to step in.