• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Why do some people in society say gay people are trying to force ourselves on them, just because we feel we deserve the equal right to marraige benefits? Is it not pushing to gay people for straight couples to hold hands and kiss in public?

Kerr

Why do some people in society say gay people are trying to force ourselves on them, just because we feel we deserve the equal right to marraige benefits? Is it not pushing to gay people for straight couples to hold hands and kiss in public?

Some people view it as equal rights that two of the same sex can´t marry... they regard it as an institution between a man and a woman to get children. Or something like that. And that anyone is free to marry the opposite sex. Personally, I don´t hold such a narrow view on marriage and do not agree.

The other reason I can think of is that they consider it abnormal and that they don´t think anything abnormal should be accepted. Which i of course do not agree with, abnormal is closely tied to norms and if the norms accept it then it is not abnormal. And I am not sure why it matters if it is abnormal anyway...

Kerr

Because it is abhorrent for people of conscinece to have to view sexual perversion.
It is not a perversion. It is just different.

As long as marriage is a legal recognition of a sexual partnership, no self respecting Christian can approve of it because it would legitimize sin. I wouldn't give anyone a license to steal either.
Marriage is not a Christian institution.

Whatever innapropriate reactions homosexuals have to straight couples can't determine that appropriate actions by straights are innappropriate.
And the other way around, of course.

Mr Cheese

Because it is abhorrent for people of conscinece to have to view sexual perversion.

As long as marriage is a legal recognition of a sexual partnership, no self respecting Christian can approve of it because it would legitimize sin. I wouldn't give anyone a license to steal either.

Whatever innapropriate reactions homosexuals have to straight couples can't determine that appropriate actions by straights are innappropriate.

I think your font is abhorrent...

I have known and do know many self respecting non homophobic christians

statistically of course....anal sex is of course performed by far more hetero couples than homosexual ones....(in USA)

sadly for homophobes, people's bedroom habits have moved on since the 19th century

A

angellous_evangellous

1) Stupidity

2) Lack of compassion

A

angellous_evangellous

Plato, Symposium, 192a

Some say they are shameless creatures, but falsely: for their behavior is due not to shamelessness but to daring, manliness, and virility, since they are quick to welcome their like. Sure evidence of this is the fact that on reaching maturity these alone prove in a public career to be men. So when they come to man's estate they are boy-lovers, and have no natural interest in wiving and getting children, but only do these things under stress of custom; they are quite contented to live together unwedded all their days. A man of this sort is at any rate born to be a lover of boys or the willing mate of a man, eagerly greeting his own kind.

Baydwin

Rather, it is abhorrent to those so sexually repressed and mentally infantile that they can't appreciate love for being love.

Although apparently sticking a fish on your bumper gives you a license for arrogant bigotry.

Let's all bow down before the lawgiver, lest his moral superiority should cascade upon us like a wave of fetid carrion.

Rainbow Mage

Easy for you to call it sexual perversion. You don't have to live with it. It's not your problem. You don't understand

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Homosexuality is not perversion. If you want to feel differently privately, that's your business, but you do not have the right to impose this view on others by restricting their legal rights.

With full legal rights for homosexual people, they're free to live as they see fit and you're free to believe whatever offensive things you want; everybody wins.

Would you consider legalized freedom of religion license to commit "idolatry"? I sense a double standard.

soleil10

Yosef, your post is very cleverly written :rainbow1:
Let me give you my take on this.
A lot of people know intuitively that when you redefine the basic institution of marriage, it will redefine the whole society because the union of a man and woman has the potential to procreate children which are the fruit of their love. Marriage connects it all together in the basic unit, we call a family. Many people add a spiritual dimension to it. As Obama said, they bring God into the mix. Many other people see it as a secular institution. Marriage is such a unique union that brings forth the net generation.
It protect the most important human right for a child, which is to have be raised by a father and a mother
I think that you will agree with me that redesigning such fundamental intitution will redesign our society.
Now, we know that there are different types of household, broken families with single parents, single people unmarried, etc..etc. where people legally depend form each others. For these types of household, there are legal arangements like domestic partners and in some states civil unions.

Some people are not happy with that and want to move to a new society beyond marriage for different reasons. Same sex marriage is only one step in that direction.
The legal arguments used to achieve ss "marriage" like: It is about love. It is about long term commitment. It is about equality, It is about being inclusive. It is a civil/human right. It does not change your marriage. Marriage has been redefined before. All these arguments if approved by the courts can be used and will be used to redefine marriage again. It is a trojan horse. Any logical mind can see it.
Already people well connected to our present administration are making that argument to include multiple conjugal partners.

The cat is out of the bag. If you redefine marriage, you are redefining much more. That is what people are afraid and many do not know how to express it.

After 40 years of the free sex culture, our society including marriage is falling apart. At every step, we were supposed to improve and be more liberated. It has not worked that way. For exemple the no fault divorce laws did not help but made it worse. There have been over 40 millions divorces since and 45 millions kids with a broken heart. We created a bigger problem that we solved.

My 2 cents, Soleil10

Why do I say

Rainbow Mage

I think maybe the notion that people should get married should be reconsidered. A mother and father scenario doesn't always produce a good environment for a child. That is a generalization at best

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It protect the most important human right for a child, which is to have be raised by a father and a mother
Baloney.

First off, when it comes to same-sex-parented kids, you're talking about children who would never have a mother and a father. Also, it's two loving parents of either gender that are the thing that really helps children. Study after study have shown that the genetalia of the parents have no bearing on the welfare of the child.

Second, if those opposed to same-sex marriage truly thought this was a right for a child, then they'd be doing all they could to ensure that children have two parents in the home, including things like:

- not shipping thousands upon thousands of mothers and fathers away for months at a time to fight needless wars.

- increasing the minimum wage to the level of a living wage so that even low-income parents can support their families without second jobs that take them away from their families.

- repealing "three strikes" laws and insanely long sentences for minor drug posession, which also take parents away from children needlessly.

Until the "every child deserves a mother and a father" crowd starts doing these sorts of things, I have no problem dismissing them as hypocrites.

stiletto

Naughty But Nice

Because people who make such claims (that gay people are trying to force themselves on others), are typically ignorant, narrow-minded, inbred fools that bully and mistreat minorities, try to force their own warped views on others, and who don't have the most basic understanding of equal rights. :D

MSizer

MSizer
Because people who make such claims (that gay people are trying to force themselves on others), are typically ignorant, narrow-minded, inbred fools that bully and mistreat minorities, try to force their own warped views on others, and who don't have the most basic understanding of equal rights. :D

Are you implying that obnoxious pudgy bible toting white men are not all living the pinnnacle of a moral life?

Duck

Baloney.

First off, when it comes to same-sex-parented kids, you're talking about children who would never have a mother and a father. Also, it's two loving parents of either gender that are the thing that really helps children. Study after study have shown that the genetalia of the parents have no bearing on the welfare of the child.

Second, if those opposed to same-sex marriage truly thought this was a right for a child, then they'd be doing all they could to ensure that children have two parents in the home, including things like:

- not shipping thousands upon thousands of mothers and fathers away for months at a time to fight needless wars.

- increasing the minimum wage to the level of a living wage so that even low-income parents can support their families without second jobs that take them away from their families.

- repealing "three strikes" laws and insanely long sentences for minor drug posession, which also take parents away from children needlessly.

Until the "every child deserves a mother and a father" crowd starts doing these sorts of things, I have no problem dismissing them as hypocrites.

Frubals. I would also add, when the "every child deserves a mother and father" crowd adopts those kids in orphanages (for whatever reason!) then maybe, just maybe I would accept the "its all about the childrenz" argument. When the demand for adoption outstrips the number of available adoptees (regardless of age, sex, race, skin color, national origin, name origin, disability and reason for needing to be adopted in the first place) then the folks that argue that the 1000+ (in the U.S.) federal benefits associated with the word "marriage" can be reserved to those who have mixed reproductive organs. Until then, **** and let my partner make medical care decisions for me when I am incapacitated, and inherit our property without taxation on the estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.