• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality Outlawed in Burundi

Stellify

StarChild
I haven't seen any threads on this yet...but it broke my heart.
It's one thing to be against it because of religious beliefs. Another to push those beliefs on others. But it's worse to make it illegal outright.

FORBIDDEN: Gays and Lesbians in Burundi | Human Rights Watch

VOA News - Burundian Homosexuals Suffer Under New Anti-Gay Law

Homosexuals in Burundi say that their lives have been marked with increased discrimination and fear following the East African country's move to ban homosexual practices. Burundi officially passed the law criminalizing homosexuality in April this year.

The interviews conducted by the advocacy group Human Rights Watch documents the difficulties of being a gay or lesbian in Burundi, including instances of sexual violence, family rejection, police intimidation, and now the daily possibility of imprisonment.

well atleast straight men now have an extra reason for wanting to stay out of jail

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

What a shame :( Im glad I live in a place where you're not forced to live in fear because of the way you feel. How sad...

GhK.

MissAlice

Sorry to hear that.

I never will understand why homosexuality is so hated if it's between two consenting adults. To me, it's none of my business on what goes on behind doors as long as there's no abuse involved.

Unfortunately I don't think much progress has taken place even though most people would like to think so. There is still stigmas attached to homosexulity equating to something bad like pedophilia, rape, and other negative attributes that you will often find in heterosexuals as well. I know because my cousin is a good person. He didn't choose his sexual preference and has had to be careful about it.

I think it's true what they say, ignorance is pure bliss and denial.

JamieA1A

Sorry to hear that.

I never will understand why homosexuality is so hated if it's between two consenting adults. To me, it's none of my business on what goes on behind doors as long as there's no abuse involved.

Unfortunately I don't think much progress has taken place even though most people would like to think so. There is still stigmas attached to homosexulity equating to something bad like pedophilia, rape, and other negative attributes that you will often find in heterosexuals as well. I know because my cousin is a good person. He didn't choose his sexual preference and has had to be careful about it.

I think it's true what they say, ignorance is pure bliss and denial.

Homosexuality isn't a lifestyle that is limited to life behind closed doors. I know that you are trying to be accepting here, but until gay people are able to share the same social freedoms that hetrosexual people can with open doors (such as kissing in public) they will remain second class citizens.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Sorry to hear that.

You know, I hear/see things like this a lot and it really makes me wonder why people say it. I mean, I don't care what they do behind closed doors either.

However:

The only way that I, or society, or any one else for that matter would find out about their being homosexual is if THEY take what goes on behind closed doors and air it out in public...And I think that should be illegal (not just for gay people, but for straight people as well). It appears that no one believes in modesty anymore.

JamieA1A

You know, I hear/see things like this a lot and it really makes me wonder why people say it. I mean, I don't care what they do behind closed doors either.

However:

The only way that I, or society, or any one else for that matter would find out about their being homosexual is if THEY take what goes on behind closed doors and air it out in public...And I think that should be illegal (not just for gay people, but for straight people as well). It appears that no one believes in modesty anymore.

So you have a problem with people kissing in public? If so, where do you suggest we draw the line? How about the groom kissing the bride at their wedding? Is that too much for you? :facepalm:

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
So you have a problem with people kissing in public? If so, where do you suggest we draw the line? How about the groom kissing the bride at their wedding? Is that too much for you? :facepalm:

When is a wedding done in public?

From my perspective, a kiss is a sexual act (seeing as how the only difference between it and others acts of sex is the level of pleasure received--and that's only sometimes).

I think that couples should avoid going beyond a hug/holding hands in public view of other people. If they're at a private event (like a wedding) then that'd be fine. But there's no reason to allow people to flaunt their sexuality in public.

I recognize that homosexuals are being discriminated against. However, I feel that the solution is not to allow them to do what shouldn't be done (public displays of affection beyond a certain point physically), but to stop everyone from doing what shouldn't be done. If I meet you and talk to you, I should not be able to tell immediately that you are gay or straight.

JamieA1A

When is a wedding done in public?

From my perspective, a kiss is a sexual act (seeing as how the only difference between it and others acts of sex is the level of pleasure received--and that's only sometimes).

I think that couples should avoid going beyond a hug/holding hands in public view of other people. If they're at a private event (like a wedding) then that'd be fine. But there's no reason to allow people to flaunt their sexuality in public.

I recognize that homosexuals are being discriminated against. However, I feel that the solution is not to allow them to do what shouldn't be done (public displays of affection beyond a certain point physically), but to stop everyone from doing what shouldn't be done. If I meet you and talk to you, I should not be able to tell immediately that you are gay or straight.

So if two grown men were holding hands in public and one wasn't blind, wouldn't that give you a clue as to their sexual orientation?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
So if two grown men were holding hands in public and one wasn't blind, wouldn't that give you a clue as to their sexual orientation?

No. Holding hands does not necessarily imply a sexual relationship. To use that as a justification to hate is to take a neutral harmless act and declare it meaning that it does not have. Parents hold the hands of their children, friends hold each others' hands, people praying together hold hands, couples hold hand, etc etc etc. Holding hands is not necessarily sexual.

Although, if it came to voting between holding hands and not holding them, I'd probably vote for not holding them, just to be safe.

Last edited:

JamieA1A

No. Holding hands does not necessarily imply a sexual relationship. To use that as a justification to hate is to take a neutral harmless act and declare it meaning that it does not have. Parents hold the hands of their children, friends hold each others' hands, people praying together hold hands, couples hold hand, etc etc etc. Holding hands is not necessarily sexual.

Although, if it came to voting between holding hands and not holding them, I'd probably vote for not holding them, just to be safe.

Yes, I can see your point. If you got two men holding hands then they may start moving their feet and the next thing you know you got dancing going on. :rolleyes:

So when do you think this totalitarian state of yours is going to come about?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Yes, I can see your point. If you got two men holding hands then they may start moving their feet and the next thing you know you got dancing going on. :rolleyes:

So when do you think this totalitarian state of yours is going to come about?

In what way is it totalitarian? Oh wait, I forgot. Advocating that people should have self-control and modesty when they're in public IS totalitarian. Silly me, I should have known better than to have standards.

[/sarcasm]

JamieA1A

In what way is it totalitarian? Oh wait, I forgot. Advocating that people should have self-control and modesty when they're in public IS totalitarian. Silly me, I should have known better than to have standards.

[/sarcasm]

No, silly you, advocating that your standards that prohibits a mother from kissing her child in public because someone else that you don't approve of might get the same idea is what I call totalitarian.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
No, silly you, advocating that your standards that prohibits a mother from kissing her child in public because someone else that you don't approve of might get the same idea is what I call totalitarian.

I don't believe in Freedom of Expression. In fact, I don't really believe in rights. Rights are not necessary in a legal system that is designed appropriately.