• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality / Marriage

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Mr_Spinkles said:
...Well, if that's the kind of world you want to live in, then go ahead--make gay marriage and mayo consumption legal. Just don't say I didn't warn you.
Ice water just came out my nose.:biglaugh: I'm out of Frubals for a few hours or some would be headed your way. Consider this an IOU.

OK...here goes, my opinions, beholden to no one but me.:p

Homosexuality - inborn trait, we cannot control to whom were are attracted. IMHO, one day science will prove this conclusively. Some societies embrace an 'openly gay lifestyle' while others do not, but I think your research will reveal that every society has had homosexual members.
Gay Marriage - I support it because I cannot find a cogent argument against it.
Government role - We could talk on this all day. Short version -> Government got into the 'business' of recognizing marriage to protect make sure children were taken care of. Now there are so many societal and economic factors surrounding marriage not limited to children such as health care, end-of-life decisions, and property rights, that denying this recognition to any 2 people who wish to participate is unfair.
Religious Affiliation - Disciples of Christ. Start with Maize's description of UU and add 'believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God, and accept him as Lord and Savior.' Disciples website. Please note that I am not proselytizing with this link but rather offering Seeker of Solomon more information about my religious affiliation.:)

RetroRich - Love ya' man, but ya' gotta' stop with the blanket shots at Christians if you expect me to pick up a round. ;)

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
CaptainXeroid said:
RetroRich - Love ya' man, but ya' gotta' stop with the blanket shots at Christians if you expect me to pick up a round. ;)
I'll try, Glen--but it won't be easy :rolleyes:

Make mine a dry Beefeaters gin martini, up with an olive, shaken, not stirred.

(SONG)

Sacred Agent Man...they've given you a Bible...and take away your sin. :biglaugh:

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
CaptainXeroid said:
Don't worry, Glen. My reply was deleted by a moderator. See you in June! :)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Hi, my name is Jamaesi. I'm agnostic, bisexual, and completely for gay marriage for the reasons everyone stated before. XD

It's also getting harder and harder to convince me that being gay is a choice.

How would you define sexual harrasment? How would this evolve?
Sexual harassment will not change. Many girls who dislike homosexuality claim that me just looking at them or waving and saying "hi", fully clothed, in public, as we pass each other on the street is me sexually harassing them.

How much faster would STDs be spread? This includes acceptance of more Bi-Sexual members of society.
It's not like straight people are immune to them.

How would the Military change for both men and women who want to serve? Dont ask, dont tell wont last forever.
I'll just rephrase your question for you. "How would the Military change for both whites and blacks who want to serve? Seperate but equal won't last forever." The military has changed before, I doubt this will completely destroy it.

With the amount of prejudice that will occur, how would homosexuals in general raise their children to seek their life partner?
I'd bet they'd let them be attracted to whoever they wanted to be attracted to. Novel, eh? You can't force a sexuality on someone, it's not a choice.

Would the new traditions brought on by marriage change the way straight couples pass on family last names?
... Why is this such a big deal? Straight people could keep passing on their names however they want. Shake a stick at male dominance and everyone just gets up in arms... >:{

How would society seperate geographically? Will people that are public about their orientation be pushed away from diffrent areas of a city? And if so, would this cause violence?
If they weren't discriminated against this wouldn't happen. Don't blame the gay people for being discriminated against.

Would children become store bought products since you would have to find sprem donors or seragent mothers?
People now use sperm donors and seragent mothers and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Since aboptions rates would rise, will society find this to be a solution to individual responsibility to disband their children quicker? Also could this increase the abortion rate or decrease it?
People give up their children no matter what. At least there will be more homes for them to go to now.

Many people believe that AIDS came about because of Homosexuality, I wouldn't say this is particularly true, but as we see in the bible that this practice is sinful.
No, AIDs came from Africa from chimps. Heterosexual people get AIDs. AIDs is not a gay disease. The Bible also says plenty of other things are sinful like eating pig or a woman speaking in church, but those happen.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Crystallas said:
So to those who favor sexual prefrence, shouldnt bestiality be legal?
Sure. Just as soon as beastiality involves the mutual consent of two adults, it should be legal.

I don't know why it matters whether people choose to be gay or not. Even if it wasn't biological, and people did choose to be gay, that should be their right.

Crystallas

Its not a right(or considered a right legally)because of religious arguments, not supporting procreation, and that their is no proof that sexual prefrence is a choice or not, only heavy debate. Plus many other reasons that come from hate, but I dont want to mention those because that will overshadow the other issues, as it has been in this debate for a long long time.

If people really felt like it was necessary to make it legal, then they would be fighting church doctrine more than laws. Its not like I have ever heard of any homosexual couple become decriminalized or thrown in jail in recent history. So theres enough loopholes to support what everybody wants as is. I just dont get why gay couples want to take matters to law to change what is allowed in faith based orginizations. Thats where the big cycle of conflict begins, and Im anti goverment rules over church, and this is presicely why most people get hot headed about this argument, not about it being acceptable, its about trying to spearhead the rules, and this is just a generalization, its not true for each couple that is willing to get married. Plus the media blows each situation out of proportion and trys to leech attention by using anything like this in the news.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Where does your information that gay people want to use the law to impose their views on faith based organizations come from?

Crystallas-- I'm not sure what you're saying here. I think gay people want (and deserve) to be able to form a civil contract with their lifetime partners (marriage) with the same benefits and rights as straight couples. I agree with you that the government should not require the Catholic church or any other religious organization to marry homosexual couples, but the real issue here is whether homosexual couples can have the same legal status as married straight couples.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Crystallas said:
So to those who favor sexual prefrence, shouldnt bestiality be legal?
This question is utter garbage. You know that this is simply a red-herring, intended to appeal to the stupidity of people that don't take the time to reason through this issue. It is a shame that someone would post crap like this.

TVOR

Ceridwen018

The Constitution of the United States says that, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Due to the fact that the definition of marriage as being strictly between a man and a woman is purely religious, it is utterly, completely, and quite simply illegal for the Constitution of the United States to adopt it.

That said, bans on gay marriage are also illegal in spirit, even though they might not yet be on paper, although it is only a matter of time before that happens. There are absolutely no arguments against gay marriage which do not contain some form of religious-based prejudice, and the majority of the arguments against gay marriage come from some church doctrine or another. Because we have a separation of chruch and state, as is evidenced by the Constitutional quote from above, these arguments are all invalid.

blueman

God's Warrior
Well I am a Christian as well and although God gives each and every man and woman a free will to choose, it is clearly stated in the Word of God (Romans 1:26,27), (Galations 5:19) how He felt about this lifestyle. It was never God's intent for women and men to be with same-sex partners sexually, let alone be united in holy matrimony. People will continue to make life choices based on their self-will and not the will of God and must be prepared to deal with whatever consequences may come their way as a result.

Ceridwen018

It was never God's intent for women and men to be with same-sex partners sexually, let alone be united in holy matrimony. People will continue to make life choices based on their self-will and not the will of God and must be prepared to deal with whatever consequences may come their way as a result.
And what about those people who don't believe in god, such as the US government? Your rules or god's don't apply there.

blueman

God's Warrior
Ceridwen018 said:
And what about those people who don't believe in god, such as the US government? Your rules or god's don't apply there.
:) At the end of the day, God's (notice the capital G applies) will and purpose does apply. Whatever man's intervention is regarding this issue will be rendered irrelevant when all is said and done. There will be a much harsher judgement that all men/women will have to face and be accountable for their life choices.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
blueman said:
:) At the end of the day, God's (notice the capital G applies) will and purpose does apply. Whatever man's intervention is regarding this issue will be rendered irrelevant when all is said and done. There will be a much harsher judgement that all men/women will have to face and be accountable for their life choices.
It saddens me when people delude themselves into thinking the Invisible Pink Unicorn's will does not apply to them. It is by Her grace that we get through each day, and belief in any other false deity will incur Her punishment, sad as She is to deal it out.

blueman

God's Warrior
Jensa said:
It saddens me when people delude themselves into thinking the Invisible Pink Unicorn's will does not apply to them. It is by Her grace that we get through each day, and belief in any other false deity will incur Her punishment, sad as She is to deal it out.
Jensa,
It was not even worth posting that nonsense.:bonk:

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
blueman said:
Jensa,
It was not even worth posting that nonsense.:bonk:
I could say the same about your post that she was replying to. :) Many here would agree with me.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
blueman said:
Well I am a Christian as well and although God gives each and every man and woman a free will to choose, it is clearly stated in the Word of God (Romans 1:26,27), (Galations 5:19) how He felt about this lifestyle. It was never God's intent for women and men to be with same-sex partners sexually, let alone be united in holy matrimony. People will continue to make life choices based on their self-will and not the will of God and must be prepared to deal with whatever consequences may come their way as a result.
That may be fine for the Christian, but what about the Buddhist, the Hindu, the Atheist, etc.? Why should they be discriminated against because of the "rules" of your religion? That makes no sense.