• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and the Church

Pah

Uber all member
FerventGodSeeker said:

"as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." Jude 7

Where is the word "homosexual". Don't suppose it is there show it to me.

Genesis 13 only mentions Sodom in passing saying, "But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the LORD." I don't know why you singled out that reference of Sodom among the numerous ones found throughout Scripture.

Sodom was destroyed as an example, because there was not a single righteous person in the city (see Gen. 18-19). The Judges instance which occurred in Gibeah was a one-time event; it does not necesarily characterize the actions or attitudes of the city of Gibeah as a whole.
Sodom had a righteous man until the decision to destroy the city was made and then he and his family was warned to leave. His daughters, by the way, should have been kept behind for they showed their unrighteousness later.

You just made a conclusion regarding Gibeah that is not supported by scripture. It is this flagrant misuse of apologetics that rankles. Gibeah became the "poster boy" of unrighteousness when the pieces of the concubine were sent to the tribes. Yet all that city suffered was shame.

You're talking as though only Christians like myself oppose gay marraige. On the contrary, lots of people oppose gay marraige
.Numbers of people beliveing something do not provide proof of it being wrong - they do not have truth in "numbers". It is a formal fallacy you make here.
I once spoke to an ardent atheist who opposed it. Changing the legal definition of marraige in the US to incorporate same-sex unions is a legal issue here as much as it is a religious/moral one, and for you to try to claim that me opposing gay marraige is "forcing my religion on you" ignores an entire aspect of the issue.
What aspect would that be? It is a legal issue - it IS prompted by specific religious thought.
I also oppose adultery on religious grounds, but I don't suppose you would consider my support of making laws against adultery "forcing my religion on you", would you?
Yes, I would. It goes against nature, the nature of evolution.
The fact that my opinions in a democratic society where my voice can be heard, are formed based on religious convictions of mine, does not mean that if my voice is the majority that I am "forcing my religion on you",
Yes it does. If contaceptives were remove from legal use by the work of the Catholic Church, it would be messing with my life and for religious reasons.
it simply means my views happen to be the accepted legal position at the time.
The time has come for them to change just as the laws of contraception, slavery, suppression of women, and adultry have changed. It is time to repair the wall of separation that gives you the freedom to worship as you see fit - a personal freedom and not in the public square.
As for weakness in my faith, I'm not out to impress you; you may think whatever you want about my faith. If you consider taking a stand aganst something immoral to be "weakness", then so be it.
I am favorablly impressed when articles of faith are held strongly. Strongly held codes of conduct are good. The problem is why do so many want to force their codes, their faith on the rest of the country. It has no scriptual basis. It has no Constitutional basis. It shows a mistrust of the congregation by the earthly powers of the faith. It is a weakness of faith to require secular enforcement of a private, individual morality of faith

Says who?
I say. You have yet to tell us and cite scholastic authority in the other thread http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30983 "Homosexual practises in Biblical days" that the practises are the same.

Not really. The Church, as the pillar and ground of the truth (1 Tim 3:15), has been doing the same thing for 2,000 years. I am simply following suit as a member of the Church.
I'm certainly glad that the justifications for slavery were ignored before you were born. It is ignorance and a failure to see the message of love that keeps you (plural) in the darknes of hating homosexuality.

The fact that God loves everyone does not mean He condones everyone's acts. He loves us in spite of our sin, but that doesn't make us any less sinful. I never claimed homosexuality needed my personal approval, I don't know where you got that idea. We are discussing what God's Word says about the issue, which by implication means we're discussing whether God approves of it or not. You have yet to provide adequate interpretation (if any at all, in some cases) of the verses in question, where the Bible somehow condones homosexual acts.
Which ones are you talking about? Which practices? When a practise is not condemned it is approved/condoned. You must first show that today's practices are abominable.

Jerrell

Can a Christian be gay? this is a good question let's go to the bible.

Peter writes this.

1 Peter 4:2-That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

Paul writes this:

1 Timothy 1:10-For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind(homosexuals), for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Moses Writes this:
Le 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.**Notice the Word abomination**

Re 21:27 - And there shall in no wise enter into it (The New Jerusalem) any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination (Performs an Abomination), or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

1Co 6:9 - Show Context Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Re 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable (Homosexuality), and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers(Drug Addicts), and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death

1Co 6:9 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate (Men who take on role of women), nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

When Christ calls you he calls you to give up your sin, Give it up and Live for him. How long will you deny him just to keep living a life of sin?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Pdoel said:
Not true. I prayed, cried, etc., for YEARS. Constantly. I hated myself. I hated the feelings I had. I too felt that if I prayed hard enough and worshiped the Lord, that I'd "find my way".
and
I was praying. Asking God why he did not help me.
and yet you say:
How long will you deny him just to keep living a life of sin?
So here you have someone who hated the way he felt. He did not want to feel that way and he prayed to God to fix it. It didn't happen. And yet you sit here in judgement and chastize him :bonk:

How "Christian" of you :rolleyes:

Maybe you should go back and read what Jesus says about that type of attitude

Pah said:
Because the specific word has to be found in the Bible for the concept to be discussed......oh, wait, no it doesn't. Please give your interpretation of the sexual immorality of "going after strange flesh" described in this verse, if it is not a reference to homosexuality. Also keep in mind that a reference such as this could refer to more than one type of "strange flesh", so even if you come up with something, it doesn't mean that this verse does not refer to homosexuality.

I just said that Gen. 13 is an extremely poor place to go in Scripture to discuss Sodom, as it is only mentioned in passing...Did you actually read what I posted?

Sodom had a righteous man until the decision to destroy the city was made and then he and his family was warned to leave. His daughters, by the way, should have been kept behind for they showed their unrighteousness later.
:eek: How DARE you judge someone else! God is all about love, you can't say something like that! ;)

You just made a conclusion regarding Gibeah that is not supported by scripture. It is this flagrant misuse of apologetics that rankles. Gibeah became the "poster boy" of unrighteousness when the pieces of the concubine were sent to the tribes. Yet all that city suffered was shame.
Who ever told you that something has to be explicitly supported by Scripture in order to be true? I don't know where you arrived at this idea. I made a logical inference about a potential reason that Gibeah was not desttoyed. I didn't say that my example was a fact, I said it was a possibility....note that I said, "does not necesarily"...you even highlighted the phrase when you quoted me.

.Numbers of people beliveing something do not provide proof of it being wrong - they do not have truth in "numbers". It is a formal fallacy you make here.
I never said that homosexuality was wrong because lots of people believe it is. I was simply stating that it is not just Christians who oppose it, and it is not opposed solely on religious grounds.
It is a legal issue - it IS prompted by specific religious thought.
Pah, EVERYONE'S opinions are based at some level on their religious thoughts (or lack thereof). The way you view God and religion shapes your worldview, and thus in a democratic society the views you express are religiously based at some level. However, that doesn't mean everyone is "forcing their religion" on everyone else when they go to the polls and vote. Those who oppose gay marraige are not forcing anyone to follow their religion. Rather, those who wish to change the definition of marraige to include same-sex couples want to force US to accept THEIR moral code and the lifestyles THEY support.
Yes, I would. It goes against nature, the nature of evolution.
Making laws against adultery goes against nature? So then you support adultery as acceptable?
Yes it does. If contaceptives were remove from legal use by the work of the Catholic Church, it would be messing with my life and for religious reasons.
By that reasoning, every time a law is passed, it is somehow "forcing someone's religion" onto someone else, as all (or at least most) of the views we support (and thus laws we wish to pass) are based on our religious outlooks.
The time has come for them to change just as the laws of contraception, slavery, suppression of women, and adultry have changed. It is time to repair the wall of separation that gives you the freedom to worship as you see fit - a personal freedom and not in the public square.
If they don't want freedom in the public square, then why are they forcing us to give them publicly recognized weddings and marraiges?

I
am favorablly impressed when articles of faith are held strongly. Strongly held codes of conduct are good. The problem is why do so many want to force their codes, their faith on the rest of the country. It has no scriptual basis. It has no Constitutional basis. It shows a mistrust of the congregation by the earthly powers of the faith. It is a weakness of faith to require secular enforcement of a private, individual morality of faith

If we're dealing with private, individual morality that shouldn't be enforced, then homosexuals and those who support them have no right to enforce their private lifestyles and morality in the public and force the rest of us to recognize their unions which many consider immoral and which defies the defition of marraige in this country.

Really? And how do you know that your interpretation of Scripture is infallible and accurate?

You have yet to tell us and cite scholastic authority in the other thread http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30983 "Homosexual practises in Biblical days" that the practises are the same.
I'm sorry I don't jump every time you post a new thread, Pah. ;) We're talking on this thread right now...some day I may get to that thread, but I make no promises.
I'm certainly glad that the justifications for slavery were ignored before you were born.
They weren't ignored, slavery existed in this country for the first 100+ years of its existance. I think it was horrible, and I oppose slavery. What does that have to do with homosexuality?
It is ignorance and a failure to see the message of love that keeps you (plural) in the darknes of hating homosexuality.
And it is ignorance and a failure to see the message of perfect righteousness that keeps you (plural) in the darkness of accepting immorality for the sake of "tolerance" or "love". It is not loving to condone a lifestyle which will lead someone to eternal condemnation.

Which ones are you talking about? Which practices? When a practise is not condemned it is approved/condoned.
I was referring to any sin in general. God can love someone and still condemn their actions, just as a parent loves their child but does not approve of everything they do. The fact that God doesn't strike all homosexuals dead with thunder and lightning doesn't mean He approves of their lifestyle.

You must first show that today's practices are abominable

I have, with multiple verses in multiple literal translations and explanations. You have yet to provide any adequate counter-exegesis.

FerventGodSeeker

Pah

Uber all member
Jerrell said:

Peter writes this.

1 Peter 4:2-That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
Got any overweight men or women in your congregation?

Paul writes this:

1 Timothy 1:10-For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind(homosexuals), for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
Ever let seen your father naked? Anyone? You and he have defiled yourselves with mankind or is that humankind - what DOES the original Greek say?

Moses Writes this:
Le 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.**Notice the Word abomination**
Moses never wrote anything - but that's a different debate. Do you know exactly what position a man and woman used in those days? I'll bet some of it was face to face. No homosexual does that so what is the REAL meaning of the verse.

Re 21:27 - And there shall in no wise enter into it (The New Jerusalem) any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination (Performs an Abomination), or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Are you assuming gay sex? Shame on you. There is nothing in that that specifically mentions gay sex

1Co 6:9 - Show Context Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Think all "effeminates" are gay? Think all gays are effeminate?:biglaugh:
Re 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable (Homosexuality), and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers(Drug Addicts), and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death
Ever cut your beard? THAT is an abominable pracitise. Nobody in RF has shown that the homosexuality that is unpure is the homosexuality of a loving committed couple.

1Co 6:9 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate (Men who take on role of women), nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Think all "effeminates" are gay? Think all gays are effeminate?:biglaugh:

Jerrell

I myself went through the same thing and guess what. God Changed me, i asked and asked he answered....Do the same and he will answer.Pray right do right think right. Try to help yourself. Dont ask for God to help you and then go off and not help yourself.

Squirt

Jerrell said:
Can a Christian be gay? this is a good question let's go to the bible. When Christ calls you he calls you to give up your sin, Give it up and Live for him. How long will you deny him just to keep living a life of sin?
Of course a Christian can be gay. A Christian can also be condescending, rude, judgmental, dishonest, proud, selfish, lazy, and a myriad of other things. Becoming a Christian doesn't mean becoming perfect. If we were perfect, we wouldn't need a Savior. That's not to say that we shouldn't strive to obey God's commandments. After all, He didn't just give them to us to hear Himself talk. But just because one particular sin isn't one you personally struggle with, that doesn't make the person who does struggle with it has no right to call himself a Christian. Christians lift one another, they don't trample one another down.

Jerrell

Squirt said:
Of course a Christian can be gay. A Christian can also be condescending, rude, judgmental, dishonest, proud, selfish, lazy, and a myriad of other things. Becoming a Christian doesn't mean becoming perfect. If we were perfect, we wouldn't need a Savior. That's not to say that we shouldn't strive to obey God's commandments. After all, He didn't just give them to us to hear Himself talk. But just because one particular sin isn't one you personally struggle with, that doesn't make the person who does struggle with it has no right to call himself a Christian. Christians lift one another, they don't trample one another down.

First of all you muast understand what Christian means. It means someone who is Christ Like. To be Christ Like u MUST BE SINLESS, the only way u can be sinless is to give up sin, and live for God, if u fall short he is faithful and just to forgive you. There are no rude, judgmental, dishonest, proud, selfish, christians, these actions are not christ like and these poeple are not christian, and if they are they are babies. Now Please understand the Diffrence in Being Homosexual and being rude....there is a huge diffrence....The reason Jesus came is for us to NOT LIVE FOR SIN, Being gay is a sin, If u dont give it up YOU ARE NOT SAVED.
Now Actually read the verses to understnad why i say this:

Peter writes this.

Paul writes this:

Moses Writes this:

When Christ calls you he calls you to give up your sin, Give it up and Live for him. How long will you deny him just to keep living a life of sin?

** I am not here to trample you down. I am here to tell you to flee from your sin. Dont live in it as if God approves of it. You can't ignore the Bible verses that call your actions abomidable to God, and that God shall have no abominations before him and still sin the abominations and call yourself christian.That is not Christ Like, It's time to change.

Squirt

Jerrell said:
First of all you muast understand what Christian means. It means someone who is Christ Like. To be Christ Like u MUST BE SINLESS, the only way u can be sinless is to give up sin, and live for God, if u fall short he is faithful and just to forgive you. There are no rude, judgmental, dishonest, proud, selfish, christians, these actions are not christ like and these poeple are not christian, and if they are they are babies. Now Please understand the Diffrence in Being Homosexual and being rude....there is a huge diffrence....The reason Jesus came is for us to NOT LIVE FOR SIN, Being gay is a sin, If u dont give it up YOU ARE NOT SAVED.

1. I do understand what "Christian" means, but I'm kind of starting to wonder about you.

2. A Christian is someone who is a disciple of Christ. I am a Christian, but I am by no means sinless. Are you saying you are sinless? Are all "true" Christians sinless?

3. I also understand the difference between being homosexual and being rude. I may not agree with everything you say, but I'm not exactly stupid.

4. Incidently, I'm not gay, so that's not something I'm going to need to give up.

5. Who gave you the right to say who is saved and who is not? Don't you think that's just a bit presumptuous on your part? When all of my gay friends on this forum stand before God to be judged, do you honestly think God's going to ask your opinion as to whether or not He's going to welcome them into Heaven?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
First of all you muast understand what Christian means. It means someone who is Christ Like. To be Christ Like u MUST BE SINLESS,
Are you sinless? No. Therefore, you're not Christ-like. You fail by your own definition.

There are no rude, judgmental, dishonest, proud, selfish, christians,
Ahh yes. Ignorance is bliss.

I myself went through the same thing and guess what. God Changed me, i asked and asked he answered
And so did Pdoel. But you seem to keep ignoring that fact.

Pray right do right think right.
Just because someone did not get the same results as you, doesn't mean they didn't do it right. He tried for YEARS. HE DID NOT WANT TO BE THAT WAY. But you STILL keep ignoring that.

Try to help yourself. Dont ask for God to help you and then go off and not help yourself.
Gee, ya know the whole reason people ask God for help with something IS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T DO IT THEMSELVES!!

Jerrell

The BIble Declares Homosexuals wont get into Heaven. My opnion does not MAtter, but God's Word Matters If he says Gays wont Go to heaven, they wont, wethere they call themselves Christian or not.
1Co 6:9 -Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: ... abusers of themselves with mankind..." shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Now I am not sinless, but also we should not practice sin, that is my point. We are to try to be perfect, to not willingly Sin against God.

Heb 10:26 -For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Read this whole Context____________
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God

I love this. Because he said YOu ONCE WERE, but now you are cleansed, washed Changed. My POint is God came to Wash us to Change us. We ought to not remain in sin if Jesus saves us, there is always a change.

Jerrell

Mister_T said:
Are you sinless? No. Therefore, you're not Christ-like. You fail by your own definition.

Ahh yes. Ignorance is bliss.

And so did Pdoel. But you seem to keep ignoring that fact.

Just because someone did not get the same results as you, doesn't mean they didn't do it right. He tried for YEARS. HE DID NOT WANT TO BE THAT WAY. But you STILL keep ignoring that.

Gee, ya know the whole reason people ask God for help with something IS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T DO IT THEMSELVES!!

I was not pointing any Direct Person out, do not presume i was.

Now What do i mean by sinless?

1Jo 1:8 -If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.1Jo 3:5 - And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin
Jesus died to take away our sins. Now If we are saved, in God's eyes we are sinless, that is my Point. God wants you to be sinless. Saved and Washed in the Blood of the Lamb.

Heb 8:12 - For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Jerrell said:
The BIble Declares Homosexuals wont get into Heaven. My opnion does not MAtter, but God's Word Matters If he says Gays wont Go to heaven, they wont, wethere they call themselves Christian or not.
1Co 6:9 -Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: ... abusers of themselves with mankind..." shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Now I am not sinless, but also we should not practice sin, that is my point. We are to try to be perfect, to not willingly Sin against God.

Heb 10:26 -For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Read this whole Context____________
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God

I love this. Because he said YOu ONCE WERE, but now you are cleansed, washed Changed. My POint is God came to Wash us to Change us. We ought to not remain in sin if Jesus saves us, there is always a change.
I'm quite familiar with those verses.

And I can spit out scripture to avoid answering a question whose truth totally contradicts what I believe and what I've stated on this thread.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Jerrell said:
Mister_T said:
I was not pointing any Direct Person out, do not presume i was.

Now What do i mean by sinless?

1Jo 1:8 -If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.1Jo 3:5 - And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin
Jesus died to take away our sins. Now If we are saved, in God's eyes we are sinless, that is my Point. God wants you to be sinless. Saved and Washed in the Blood of the Lamb.

Heb 8:12 - For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more
Thanks for the clarification ;)
But you still have't adressed Pdoel's situation

Squirt

Jerrell,

I'm just curious... Have you noticed that most of the people who are questioning your interpretation of these scriptures are Christians like yourself. Doesn't it make you stop and think at all that your attitude is driving people away from Christ and not towards Him? We are all sinners. There is no getting around that. As one of my favorite Christian authors has said, "God knows who is standing in a hole and who is standing on a chair, and he does not just measure height -- He measures growth." Of course it's important that we recognize our sins and put forth every possible effort to repent of them once and for all. Just from my own perspective, it doesn't appear to me as if you have come to grips with the fact that your own sins are no less serious in God's eyes than the next person's. For your information, the Bible doesn't "declare that Homosexuals won't get into Heaven." The Bible declares that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." All have sinned, Jerrell, and all need to repent. That includes everyone who is in any way unkind towards his fellow man. It's not rocket science. Consider how you are coming across.

Jerrell

A Christian is a Christian. Now I do sin I am not saying my sin is any less...But the BIble declares that Homosexuality is an Abomination and ABominations shall not appear before God.

1Co 6:9 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate(men who take on female Roles), nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Christians are promised Heaven. For they have given up sin, which is the very reason we were seprated from God. Now if you practice sin Willingly, and God says those who pratice this sin would not obtain Heaven...why do u thikn homosexuals are jusfied in sin? You can't justify SIn.

standing_alone

Jerrell said:
\
1Co 6:9 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate(men who take on female Roles), nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

"Effeminate" is not synonymous with "gay."