• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and the Bible...

Fluffy

A fool
lol okay that will teach me for skipping in to the last couple of posts :). Id be interested to know why these commandments are more important than the rest as well, I doubt it says that in the Bible though... just one of those things that is generally accepted.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
pah said:
It seems these words were originally provided by Joltz (Member # 2232), Greekcity Chat Discussion, 29 August, 2004 02:44 PM: - are you the same individual, t3gah?
If they aren't, isn't that plagarism?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The Voice of Reason said:
He is getting everything except a straight answer.
But why would anyone want a "straight" answer in a thread on homosexuality, Voice?

What gets me most about using the bible to condemn homosexuality is that so very few people follow all the biblical injunctions (such as against eating shellfish) but cherry pick the injunctions against homosexuality. I know that others have raised this very point, but I have yet to see anyone justify why the practice is sound.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Sunstone said:
... but I have yet to see anyone justify why the practice is sound.
Silly Sunstone - it is sound, because someone wants to use religion to perpetuate their ignorance, bigotry, and hatred. See, it's okay to do those things if God says you should. C'mon Sunstone, when will you ever learn that God wants us to persecute others in His name. :sarcastic

TVOR

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Silly Sunstone - it is sound, because someone wants to use religion to perpetuate their ignorance, bigotry, and hatred. See, it's okay to do those things if God says you should. C'mon Sunstone, when will you ever learn that God wants us to persecute others in His name. :sarcastic

TVOR
How foolish of me, Voice! I had completely forgotten that "God conveniently hates and fears the same people we do!" At least, that seems to be in the absence of any other explanation the reason behind the cherry picking that goes on regarding the injunctions against homosexuality. But I will make up for my lapse by assiduously working to cultivate an hysterical homophobia. Doing so can be my New Year's resolution!

linwood

Psst..hey guys..yer killing my debate strategy.
:woohoo:

I guess Dan has more of a life than I, I shall simply be patient.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Sunstone said:
But I will make up for my lapse by assiduously working to cultivate an hysterical homophobia. Doing so can be my New Year's resolution!
Now that's the spirit, Sunstone!! Get out there and spread some hatred of the homosexual community - and remember - God is on our side in this one!! Just a short note - make sure you have a couple of well chosen scriptures in your pocket. You can always recite them to the "****" as you drag them chained to the back bumper of your pickup truck, in an effort to save them from themselves. :sarcastic

Linwood -
My fault for blowing your strategy. I would like to suggest that you switch tactics and throw logic to the wind. Try spouting some inane tomfoolery and demanding that you be respected for it. I've seen this strategem used before, and I'm pretty sure that some people will buy into it. ;)

TVOR

linwood

Linwood -
My fault for blowing your strategy. I would like to suggest that you switch tactics and throw logic to the wind. Try spouting some inane tomfoolery and demanding that you be respected for it. I've seen this strategem used before, and I'm pretty sure that some people will buy into it. ;)

TVOR

I`ve often been told that already is my debate strategy Voice.

:)

Scott1

Sunstone said:
But why would anyone want a "straight" answer in a thread on homosexuality, Voice?

What gets me most about using the bible to condemn homosexuality is that so very few people follow all the biblical injunctions (such as against eating shellfish) but cherry pick the injunctions against homosexuality. I know that others have raised this very point, but I have yet to see anyone justify why the practice is sound.
Far be it for me to interupt the theist bashing..... but I might have a "straight" ;) answer:

From Catholic Answers www.catholic.com
"...some have argued that moral imperatives from the Old Testament can be dismissed since there were certain ceremonial requirements at the time—such as not eating pork, or circumcising male babies—that are no longer binding.

While the Old Testament’s ceremonial requirements are no longer binding, its moral requirements are. God may issue different ceremonies for use in different times and cultures, but his moral requirements are eternal and are binding on all cultures.

Confirming this fact is the New Testament’s forceful rejection of homosexual behavior as well. In Romans 1, Paul attributes the homosexual desires of some to a refusal to acknowledge and worship God. He says, "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct. . . . Though they know God’s decree that those who do such things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve those who practice them" (Rom. 1:26–28, 32).

Elsewhere Paul again warns that homosexual behavior is one of the sins that will deprive one of heaven: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor. 6:9–10, NIV).

All of Scripture teaches the unacceptability of homosexual behavior. But the rejection of this behavior is not an arbitrary prohibition. It, like other moral imperatives, is rooted in natural law—the design that God has built into human nature.

For the record.... I can't say that I agree with this, but.... it's an answer.
You may now resume your mockery.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Actually, Scott, that's a well reasoned distinction between ceremonial and moral law. But I would disagree with the notion that homosexual behavior goes against the design God has built into human nature, and therefore against natural law. Homosexuality is too prevalent in nature for it to go against any design that God has built into human nature.

linwood

All of Scripture teaches the unacceptability of homosexual behavior. But the rejection of this behavior is not an arbitrary prohibition. It, like other moral imperatives, is rooted in natural law—the design that God has built into human nature.

We`ve had this discussion before Scott.

You`ve seen me ask this question many times in many threads in many different ways.
I believe you`ve also seen the plethora of different answers I`ve gotten from Christians.

From Mr. Emus idea that the statement of the law is moral and the punishment for it is ceremonial to Dans assertion that the ten commandments are the moral laws and everything in between.

Please understand my confusion.

I am willing to accept that Pauls words in Romans are evidence of the law against homosexuality for the sake of this discussion.

I will ask why however that Christians are to pay attention to the law but not the punishment.

I believe the verse Paul is refering to in Romans is in Leviticus 20:13

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination:
they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them."

Please explain to me why Christians today are supposed to honor the blue part of the law above but disregard the red part.

If the law still stands why do Christians today only pay attention to the blue part and ignore the red part?

The verse even says "SURELY be put to death" not just "put to death" But "SURELY"
As in that is what must be done...no questions asked.

Why?

Scott1

Well, thank you fella's for the questions.

Sunstone said:
But I would disagree with the notion that homosexual behavior goes against the design God has built into human nature
As do I.
linwood said:
Please explain to me why Christians today are supposed to honor the blue part of the law above but disregard the red part.
Well.... you're gonna get a wide range of answers from Christians..... because there seems to be a different "denomination" popping up every 10 minutes.

My point? Well..... the answer to your question lies in your question itself. Most of the issues people have with the Bible are really issues about something else. “Please explain to me why Christians today are supposed to honor the blue part of the law above but disregard the red part." is not a question about Biblical interpretation, It’s a question about the validity of Sacred Tradition and the authority of the Church.

What Christians today should do? I don't know..... but I can tell you why a Catholic should.... because the Church says so.

To use an ancient phrase: "Rome has spoken, case closed".:D

linwood

What Christians today should do? I don't know..... but I can tell you why a Catholic should.... because the Church says so.
That I can accept, that actually makes some sense to me.
Thats all I wanted.

I can`t reply to anymore of your posts Scott, sometimes you make Catholicism sound sensible to me.
Lord knows I can`t have that.
:)

I`ll now continue with the "non-Catholic" theist bashing

1Lawrence

painted wolf said:
yeah, and practicing Christians persicute others while claming to follow Jesus' example.
Jesus condemed such actions in the Bible yet people still do it.
what do you make of that?

anyway, this issue has been covered many times on the fourms.
check out: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5871&highlight=homosexuality
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3561&highlight=homosexuality
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3045&highlight=homosexuality
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3094&highlight=homosexuality
just to name a few.

wa:do
You are very negitave in everything you say. Why? Are you a Christian? :jiggy:
Are you a homosexual?:tsk:

Scott1

1Lawrence said:
You are very negitave in everything you say. Why? Are you a Christian? :jiggy:
Are you a homosexual?:tsk:
Hmmmmm... welcome (?) to Relgious Forums...... painted wolf is actualy a wonderful and kind person.... maybe you should get to know the members here before posting.

linwood

I just found this thread again looking for another old one.
Considering some of the recent posts on Christianity and homosexuality I thought it might be of interest to some of the new members.

Bump..

Dr. Khan

FeathersinHair said:
As Lightkeeper said, they had the audacity to actually read the Bible. The Bible also suggests that only he who is without sin cast the first stone. Since the same Bible proposes that everyone is a equally a sinner, and has fallen short of the glory of God, well... looks like those wanting to cast some stones are either gonna have to take a good look at themselves or come up with some sort of boomerang-rock arrangement so that they can lob stones at themselves for sinning.

What you have not comprehended is the new creature. This person does not commit sin. his seed remains in him and he cannot sin for he is born of God. We have the same righteousness that Jesus has. Every man that has this hope in him purifieth himself. We who follow Jesus must quit sin. Since we do every one else has too also. If I have to give up adultery , fornication, the such like then the same is required of all. We see Jesus. If a homosexual would see Jesus as he is he would cease from sin for in him is no sin. The most beloved disciple as he is called John should be read 1John. If a man walks with God he needs appoval from no one else. If a homosexual walks with god he does not need acceptance from othr christains since he is approved by God. Therefore he should considerf his no acceptance his cross. Besides he should concern him self with God's judgment and not man's. seeking approval from man will do him no good if he is wrong about a God that he cannot see.