• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and religious.

ppp

Yeah, in theory a person should not think about sex. How's God and religion ever going to enforce that? And again, if they aren't going to enforce it, why obey it? It's going to only be those few very "spiritual" people that do.
I have yet to hear any cogent argument on why casual sex is bad.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
So why is homosexuality "immoral"?
Is this just one of the things that you blindly accept without doubt, even if it makes no sense?

Also, that group of "immoral" things seems a bit odd. Three types of consensual adult sex, and child abuse.
Still not looking good.
Don't Baha'i belief that it is a mental disorder that needs to be fixed? That's why I wonder what scientific research says about it. And I doubt that it will agree with what the Baha'i Faith says. But I'll bet you that if science disagrees with something the Baha'i Faith says, they'll say it is science that is wrong.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
And the fact that you feel the need to pretend they generalities are the same as specifics is doubly so. It is beyond me why would anyone join a religion where it's representatives engage in such deceptive practices.

Because of Baha’u’llah. He is the Promised One of all religions. It’s a beautiful religion that some oppose only because of ignorance,

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I have yet to hear any cogent argument on why casual sex is bad.
Well, it's because of lust. Lust is bad. God hates it. It starts small. First, you're making out with a person, and thinking, "This is so cool." Then you're hooked and slide down that slippery slope of debauchery, and next thing you know you're going to orgies. And God really hates orgies.

So, God is right. Don't think about sex. Don't look upon a man or woman with lust. I hope what I've told you has caused you to stop thinking about sex and fantasying about being with someone other than your spouse. And if you're not married, then to not think about having sex with anyone, ever. That's what God wants and expects. You buy that?

Reactions: ppp

danieldemol

Premium Member
There's no way for us to tell now. I'm not going to pre-judge the Universal House of Justice based on my own opinion. Though my opinion is that homosexual acts would probably have a lesser penalty that adultery, since under Baha'i law homesexuals cannot marry each other, and heterosexuals can marry the opposite sex and have sex within the confines of marriage.

This may sound odd to you, but homosexuals might very well marry heterosexuals. This happened in my case. My wife Sara is gay, and I'm not. Our relationship is based not on sex but friendship and love.
Are you advocating sham marriages between friends?
It sure sounds like it.
I wouldn't marry someone just cause we were friends.

In my opinion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Are you advocating sham marriages between friends?
It sure sounds like it.
I wouldn't marry someone just cause we were friends.

In my opinion.
Marriages generally aren't recognized unless they're consummated, anyway. I know in Catholicism, a marriage can be annulled if it was never consummated, iirc. Having sex with your spouse is seen as "sealing the deal" and that's a big part of the purpose of marriage, anyway.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Why would the Baha'is of the future become an 'indoctrinated bunch of zealots'?
Because if they were in a largely Baha'i society the echo chamber would increase.
As for the 'indoctrinated' part if I recall the Universal House of Justice admits to the use of indoctrination as a valid tool.

In my opinion.

Reactions: ppp

danieldemol

Premium Member
The UHJ will make the rulings when it is the appropriate time to make the rulings.
The current generation of Baha'is has nothing to say about what the UHJ rules on.
Then they are partly responsible for any of its negative future rulings.

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
How are the Baha'is harming anyone?
Haven't you been following your own conversation?

By supporting an organisation which plans on harming homosexuals in the future by handing them out fines for expressing homosexual relations and in the present by loading them up with guilt for calling their practices a shameful sexual aberration.

ETA and currently by depriving them of their Baha'i voting rights.

In my opinion.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Haven't you been following your own conversation?

By supporting an organisation which plans on harming homosexuals in the future by handing them out fines for expressing homosexual relations and in the present by loading them up with guilt for calling their practices a shameful sexual aberration.

ETA and currently by depriving them of their Baha'i voting rights.
Nobody knows what the Baha'i Faith is 'planning to do' to homosexuals in the future although we do know what they are planning to do to adulterers.

Homosexuals don't lose their voting rights unless they are flagrant about their sexuality in public.

If they feel guilty that is on them, not on the Baha'is. They would not feel guilty unless they thought they were doing something wrong.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Marriages generally aren't recognized unless they're consummated, anyway. I know in Catholicism, a marriage can be annulled if it was never consummated, iirc. Having sex with your spouse is seen as "sealing the deal" and that's a big part of the purpose of marriage, anyway.
I have a funny story for you and all the others reading this. My husband always liked telling this story about his great Aunt. As the story goes, on her wedding night she locked herself in the bathroom and said she was not coming out until his Uncle promised that he would never make her have sex. He promised and they lived happily ever after. The sad part is that she loved children and wanted children but she could not bring herself to do the dirty deed.

After waiting 32 years to have sex, I could not make my husband have sex on our wedding night or for a long time after that. All he wanted to do was watch movies. On my honeymoon, when I called my brother from the pay phone at the motel he told me I should have the marriage annulled, but I have the patience of Job so I decided to work on the issue. We kept the sex therapist in business for a long time and the issue was finally resolved. About three years later when we lived in a condo I got a note on the door to stop making so much noise. :D