1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Homosexuality and religious.

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Seeker of White Light, Sep 21, 2022 at 12:17 AM.

1. Goldemar

Goldemar A queer sort

Ratings:
    +141
    Religion:
    Gnosticism
    In what way(s) are the relevant laws for people's benefit? I identify as queer and polysexual. If I was a Baha'i, how would I benefit from the Baha'i laws on homosexuality?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Goldemar

Goldemar A queer sort

Ratings:
    +141
    Religion:
    Gnosticism
    The God that I refer to as God is not the creator of the material world in my belief system. I believe it was the creator of the material world, who is referred to as God by your average Jew, Christian, Moslem, and Baha'i (to reference four Abrahamic religions), who introduced these harmful, hateful laws against homosexuality.

3. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    No, I do not have to, I choose to.
    That is what I have said all along so there is no flip-flop.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,635
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    It's my coined word for the Bahai echo chamber. Once upon a time, I had the stupidity to engage with adherents of the Baha'i faith for a longer period of time, like almost 2 years I think. It was like talking to one person with 5 different names, and after getting used to the commonalities in the language, answers, and all that, I coined a new word for it.

#744 Vinayaka, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:48 PM
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022 at 6:03 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    That is not what I said.
    Trailblazer said:

I do not have a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality.
    I agree with the Baha'i Laws regarding homosexuality, that is all.

The fact that I agree with the Baha'i Laws does not mean that I have negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I was fully aware of the passages in question, but as I have said from the very beginning, those are not homophobia.

homophobia: dislike of or prejudice against gay people.
    what is homophobia - Google Search

7. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    No, I do not accept that. The passages do not indicate dislike of or prejudice against gay people, only disapproval of gay sexual behavior.

homophobia: dislike of or prejudice against gay people.
    what is homophobia - Google Search

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    That is correct,

26: O SON OF BEING! How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busy thyself with the faults of others? Whoso doeth this is accursed of Me.
    The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 10

and it might be nice if some nonreligious people followed suit. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    There is no contradiction whatsoever.

The quote about not accepting His statements and His tokens blindly (see below) refers to what we are supposed to do while we are investigating His claims in order to determine if they are the Truth, what we are supposed to do BEFORE we become a Baha'i. It does not refer to what we are supposed to do AFTER we become a Baha'i. After we become a Baha'i we are not to question what God has revealed, we are to obey it.

“Bahá’u’lláh asked no one to accept His statements and His tokens blindly. On the contrary, He put in the very forefront of His teachings emphatic warnings against blind acceptance of authority, and urged all to open their eyes and ears, and use their own judgement, independently and fearlessly, in order to ascertain the truth. He enjoined the fullest investigation and never concealed Himself, offering, as the supreme proofs of His Prophethood, His words and works and their effects in transforming the lives and characters of men.”
    Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, p. 8

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    It is against the Law of God.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I can only answer that from a Baha'i perspective. I believe you would benefit because you would be adhering to the Law of God, which would be in your best interest.

Aside from that, Baha'i Laws are for the benefit of society collectively and they stress the importance of marriage and family. Individuals are part of society since they make up society.

“The Bahá’í teachings on sexual morality centre on marriage and the family as the bedrock of the whole structure of human society and are designed to protect and strengthen that divine institution. Bahá’í law thus restricts permissible sexual intercourse to that between a man and the woman to whom he is married.”

The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, p. 223

12. Goldemar

Goldemar A queer sort

Ratings:
    +141
    Religion:
    Gnosticism
    That doesn't really answer my question - how exactly do people benefit? Why is adhering to the Law of God in someone's best interest exactly?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I cannot say why I feel this way about sex out of wedlock. I was not raised as a Christian and I do not remember anyone ever talking about sex when I was growing up, at home or in school.
    I believe these ideas about sex originate from the Bible, and they have been carried forth in Islam and the Baha'i Faith. If you are nonreligious they might not make sense or serve a purpose for you, but for those who believe in the scriptures they are the Laws of God. We believe that God knows what is best for humans since God created us, thus the Laws are for our own benefit.
    No, I am not endorsing the Baha'i teachings for anyone else. I am only saying I believe they are good and moral, and I explain why I believe that.
    No, I was just wondering why a Christian would not be following what the Bible says. I am not judging anyone.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +11,372
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Simply put, I believe that God knows what is best for humans since God created humans.
    We benefit because we are doing what is in our best interest.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +7,234
    Religion:
    Judaism
    But to be fair, it is homophobia per Wikipedia.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Goldemar

Goldemar A queer sort

Ratings:
    +141
    Religion:
    Gnosticism
    Ah, the 'God knows best' argument. I don't think that's a very strong argument, but you are entitled to your belief.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. KWED

KWED Scratching head, scratching knee

Ratings:
    +5,125
    Religion:
    None
    :tearsofjoy:

18. KWED

Ratings:
    +5,125
    Religion:
    None
    Utter nonsense.
    People get married so they can get visas, work permits, etc, and they have no intention of having a committed relationship with the person they marry.
    You have been sadly misinformed.

What country is that, where married people don't get a marriage certificate?

"Ending commitment" does not depend on anything other that a person's willingness to end that commitment.

19. KWED

Ratings:
    +5,125
    Religion:
    None
    But "marriage" is not required for a legally binding contract between two people.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Policy

Policy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,987
    Religion:
    none
    Yep. If we cannot agree on what morality is, then we certainly cannot have a discussion on common ground.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1