1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and neuro-association

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Ðanisty, Mar 2, 2007.

?
  1. Effeminate men/crossdressers

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Men holding hands

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Men kissing

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Men fondling each other

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Men performing oral sex

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Men performing anal sex

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Masculine women

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Women kissing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Women fondling each other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Women performing oral sex

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Radio Frequency X

Radio Frequency X World Leader Pretend

Ratings:
    +223
    What was the first thing?

2. Ðanisty

Ðanisty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +564
    I'm not uncomfortable with effeminate men/crossdressers either. I didn't mean to imply that anyone who voted that was uncomfortable...just that many people are uncomfortable with it. Personally, I'm not uncomfortable with anything on the poll.

3. Mercy Not Sacrifice

Mercy Not Sacrifice Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Wow. I had honestly not even considered this. Sigh, heterosexual priviledge. :(

The effiminate-male, loving-anal-sex, cross-dressing stereotypes of homosexual men drives me nuts, because these are over-generalizations that are largely untrue. Such are the short-hair, men-hating, fetish-loving stereotypes of gay women as well.

We really have to be objective when learning about people that are different than us, for if we are not careful, "different" becomes "bad." It's one of the unfortunate aspects of human nature, yet this is no excuse for choosing to do something about it, for we have the ability of rising up and understanding the truth as well.

*gets off soapbox

4. Ðanisty

Ratings:
    +564
    I think it's a stereotype that drives a lot of people nuts. It also seems to be the first thing that comes to mind for a lot of people. Now imagine that most people when confronted with the word homosexual think immediately of things that make them uncomfortable. I think that's a big problem. I think a lot of people when confronted with the word homosexual immediately think of things like anal sex and since they are put off by anal sex, they then automatically feel put off by homosexuality. It also makes it hard for them to think of homosexuals without thinking of sex. I figure that must be why so many people think that you can't talk about homosexuality without talking about sex. :shrug: That's my guess anyway.

5. Mercy Not Sacrifice

Ratings:
    +264
    You're probably right. Some of the stereotypes, such as the ones you mentioned, are just plain ludicrous; others, such as that homosexuals cannot be safely trusted anywhere near children, are instances of pure ignorance and are simply inexcusable.

6. astarath

astarath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84
    people fear that which they do not understand. If the world could only learn to love what a place this would be truly it would be a Kingdom of Heaven

• Like Like x 1
  7. Quoth The Raven

Quoth The Raven Half Arsed Muse

Ratings:
    +734
    Trout.:sarcastic

8. Bastet

Bastet Vile Stove-Toucher

Ratings:
    +606
    So does that mean those of us who don't automatically think of something physical or a sex act when confronted with the word 'homosexual' aren't being dishonest as someone would like to suggest, but are in fact just more comfortable with homosexuality?

Funny, that.

9. Quoth The Raven

Quoth The Raven Half Arsed Muse

Ratings:
    +734
    I put it to you, that we're just more comfortable with trout.:yes:

10. Bastet

Bastet Vile Stove-Toucher

Ratings:
    +606
    Well, that just goes without saying. :yes:

11. Ðanisty

Ratings:
    +564
    Pretty much. That's my hypothesis anyway. Of course, I think the people who voted for holding hands and kissing are pretty comfortable with homosexuality as well as people who said they couldn't vote. I'm most concerned with people who picked a blatantly sexual choice. That's why the poll included those things, but not things like going to the grocery store.

I do tend to think that everyone thinks of something even if it's pointless. For example, I asked a friend last night what came to mind and she said "just the word homosexuality in a blue beveled font that was backlit." What she thought of really didn't mean anything, but she did think of something.

12. Mercy Not Sacrifice

Ratings:
    +264
    Now I kinda wish you had an option that said "gay agenda," so that I could have picked it and made one of those "Breakfast at 7, work at 8, lunch at 12" etc. spoof lists.