1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and neuro-association

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Ðanisty, Mar 2, 2007.

?
  1. Effeminate men/crossdressers

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Men holding hands

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Men kissing

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Men fondling each other

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Men performing oral sex

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. Men performing anal sex

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Masculine women

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Women kissing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Women fondling each other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Women performing oral sex

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,275
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I'm glad I asked. :) Well said.

2. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,535
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Normal people who happen to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex. But that isn't a poll option.

Options from that poll though, the second thing that would come to mind, would be the last three options.

3. Flappycat

Flappycat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Holding hands, and one of them is a major Anglophile.

4. opensoul7

opensoul7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +67
    none of your options is what came to mind first ." People of the same sex attracted to each other " is what I think when the word homosexual is said.

5. Mike182

Mike182 Flaming Queer

Ratings:
    +1,389
    i voted holding hands, but teh scenario i imagine two gay people holding hands is two people of the same sex holding hands walking down the street, or in any other "couple" situation.

Edit: sorry, i saw the "holding hand" option and voted it, without taking real note of it saying "two guys". the first thing that comes to my mind is holding hands, but it is not explicit to gay men - it comes to mind when i think of any couple, two men, two women, man and woman.

6. lizskid

lizskid BANNED

Ratings:
    +474
    Ditto, sorry! I guess I don't see an action, but specific people situation of which I am aware.

I guess if I could only vote for an action, it would be of some same sex couple holding hands or some other innocuous/everyday show of affection.

7. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,868
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    When I think of the word, homasexl, I think of two people salaciously ogling each others garden gnomes. That is just SO… so… gay. Infidel freaks, I tell ya. There really should be laws about this sort of thing ya know. Heavens, next thing ya know they will be demandin’ to have Science taught in Intelligent Design class… and that could lead to … dancing!!! GeeZuzz, give me strength!!! :sarcastic

• Like Like x 1
  8. Quoth The Raven

Quoth The Raven Half Arsed Muse

Ratings:
    +734
    That being the case, my immediate association should be my sister...isn't though. Sorry, I have no immediate gut association with 'homosexuality'. If I ponder on it for maybe 30 seconds or so, my mind will actually wander in the direction of a bar I used to go to that was near where I worked.Three Faces...fun place,fun crowd, just happened to bear the classification of 'Gay Bar'. But I have to reach for that association, it doesn't immediately pop into my head. But I don't immediately associate the word 'gay' with homosexuality, either...maybe that's where we're all going wrong. We don't all immediately go 'homosexual=gay=show tunes and an abiding love for Liza Minelli=men in thongs dancing down the street singing,'I Love A Parade'.
    And 'none of the above' is a valid answer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. darkpenguin

darkpenguin Charismatic Enigma

Ratings:
    +153
    None of the above.
    The first thing that comes to mind for me is 2 people of the same sex loving each other!

10. Green Gaia

Green Gaia Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +1,925

Dude, I just answered the best I could. You have no right to say I'm lying. When someone says 'homosexual' I do not automatically think of a sex act, or any of the things mentioned in the poll.

11. Fluffy

Fluffy A fool

Ratings:
    +1,007
    Heya Radio Frequency X,
    I am very concerned about your posts in this thread. You have discussed your argument but it does not appear to justify your previous conclusion that Green Gaia is dishonest. She may have genuinly forgotten the associations that her brain must make. Her brain might work in a different way to yours. Your generalisation might be false. Perfectly plausible possibilities and no justification for the unsupported characterisation of a fellow human being.

You could have just stated your argument. What normally happens when people make personal assumptions about another's motives is that person gets hurt. Therefore, these sorts of characterisations are not only unnecessary, they are counter productive and potentially hurtful.

12. painted wolf

painted wolf Grey Muzzle

Ratings:
    +1,653
    I'm going to have to say none of them.
    Two normal people in love... the fact that they are of the same gender is inconsiquential.

wa:do

13. Tigress

Tigress Working-Class W*nch.

Ratings:
    +189
    Again, none of the above. Simply two people that love each other who happen to be of the same sex.

14. Jaymes

Jaymes The cake is a lie

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'm kind of surprised that there's only one vote for women at all, and that vote is for women having oral sex.

15. Radio Frequency X

Radio Frequency X World Leader Pretend

Ratings:
    +223
    Everything is associated with something. You cannot have a thought without it pertaining to some idea which gives the thought meaning in the first place. Homosexuality is not an idea in a vacuum. It relates to homosexuals, homosexual acts, political oppression/repression, civil rights efforts, and so forth. If I say, "baseball", the word will be associated with any number of ideas and concepts related to baseball, be it a ball, a player, the game, a stadium, a fat man with a hotdog, etc.

If your immediate association is your sister, then that is valid and None of the Above would apply. But for someone to remark that they only think about people, just people, with no context or association, is simply impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mercy Not Sacrifice

Mercy Not Sacrifice Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264
    Just the word "gay," which is basically the same thing. Since there wasn't really anything over-encompassing here, I settled for the second option.

BTW, if this thread is designed to do what I think it is, this should be a pretty good discussion. :)

17. Quoth The Raven

Quoth The Raven Half Arsed Muse

Ratings:
    +734
    I said my immediate association ISN'T my sister...she's about 40,000 other things before she's gay, as has been every other homosexual person I've ever known.

18. Bastet

Bastet Vile Stove-Toucher

Ratings:
    +606
    Ooh, who'da thunk I'd be so complex! :p

My answer is also "None of the above". That makes the tally 10 now, by my estimate.

19. Ðanisty

Ðanisty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +564
    There is nothing wrong with your answer not being on the poll. It wasn't designed to include an option for everyone. I just wanted to see the outcome for those who do have an immediate association for the things I listed. It's not that your opinion doesn't matter. It just doesn't address any of the questions I have.

The fact that there is only one vote for lesbians kind of confirms what I thought...that most people don't really think of lesbians first when confronted with the word homosexual. Most people tend to think of gay men. I noticed a lot of people voted for effeminate men/crossdressers. I have to thank Victor for suggesting that option for the poll. Honestly, I chose men kissing. I'm sure I associate homosexuality with men kissing because it's something I like to see.

I'm curious how many people first associated the word homosexuality with something they are comfortable with (like the image of men kissing for me) and how many people associated homosexuality with a scenario they are uncomfortable with.

So far:
    We've got 5 votes for effeminate/men crossdressers. I wonder how many of the people who voted for that are uncomfortable with that image? It's nice to see so many people voting holding hands and kissing. I'm willing to bet that most of the people who voted that way are probably pretty comfortable with homosexuals...just a guess.

We've got a total of 6 people who first thought of sexual acts...things you wouldn't see in public.

20. MaddLlama

MaddLlama Obstructor of justice

Ratings:
    +771
    I picked that option, but I'm not uncomfortable seeing it at all, and I to me it isn't a negative image. I think it's just my gut reaction because I went to a theater school for "behind the scenes" theater things. A made friends with a lot of the costume designers, most of which happened to be gay, and either effeminate, or drag queens.
    With women, for me, it's a little bit different. From what I have experienced, gay men are more often than not feminine in their dress and mannerisms, while I personally see more lesbians that look like "normal" women (as in, they don't dress or act like men).