• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexual Adoption

I do not think they should be allowed to adopt...Marriage is between a man and a women, not a male and a male or a female and a female. The world is very perverse today. God sees homosexuals or sodomy as an abomination. I don’t care whether you're a Christian or not, there is no such think as a "gay marriage." One of my Uncle's best friends died from AIDS just a few days ago and he would probably change his ways if he had another chance. Read Romans chapter 1, you’ll see that it is wrong and wicked.

true blood

My question may be off topic if so I'm sorry. I'm curious since this topic is relative to homesexuals does anyone know any homosexual persons or groups that are christians? Are there gay christians?

There is no such thing as a gay Christian. It's an oxymoron and it goes against the Bible. I know of people who were gay and became Christians but I know there is no such thing as a gay Christian. Yes...you may have heard of gay ministers but you can't believe in Jesus Christ and be a homosexual or believe homosexuality is ok.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Redeemed of God said:
I do not think they should be allowed to adopt...Marriage is between a man and a women, not a male and a male or a female and a female. The world is very perverse today. God sees homosexuals or sodomy as an abomination. I don’t care whether you're a Christian or not, there is no such think as a "gay marriage." One of my Uncle's best friends died from AIDS just a few days ago and he would probably change his ways if he had another chance. Read Romans chapter 1, you’ll see that it is wrong and wicked.

This thread is about adoption, not marriage, please stay on topic.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
true blood said:
My question may be off topic if so I'm sorry. I'm curious since this topic is relative to homesexuals does anyone know any homosexual persons or groups that are christians? Are there gay christians?

Yes, there are. And you're right, this is off topic for this thread. If you would like to start another thread about this, I would be more than happy to address your question more fully there.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Redeemed of God said:
There is no such thing as a gay Christian. It's an oxymoron and it goes against the Bible. I know of people who were gay and became Christians but I know there is no such thing as a gay Christian. Yes...you may have heard of gay ministers but you can't believe in Jesus Christ and be a homosexual or believe homosexuality is ok.

You're off topic again. If this is an issue you want to discuss, please start another thread and I would be MORE than happy to address your statements there.

Now, please get back to the issue of gays being allowed to adopt children in need of a home. Any further posts not on topic will be deleted. Thank you.

Runt

OctoberTheHottie said:
Runt you didn't say why?? Not that you need to answer but I was just curious why??

Sorry, my bad (class was about to end so I wrote a quick... kinda incomplete response).

My reasons:

1. Adoption is about providing children with a stable, loving household. Parenting is about producing a "good", "useful" human being. I don't think there is anything to indicate that the homosexual population AS A WHOLE is unable to give a child these things. Yes, there are exceptions... some homosexual households might NOT be stable... but the same can be said for heterosexual households as well.

2. The arguement that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to adopt children because they wouldn't be able to provide a "stable" household or raise a child in an "ideal" parential environment is bunk. In my opinion a household with TWO parents is always more "stable" than a household with only one, homosexual couples are equal to heterosexuals in providing that two parent household, and a homosexual couple should be given preference over a single heterosexual invididual because two people would be able to support a child together better than one. Yet there are many instances in society where it is a-okay for children to be raised in a "less than ideal" environment with only one parent: A single man or woman can adopt (though it is harder than if they are married) and yet a homosexual couple cannot? A mother is allowed to keep her baby even if she does not have a husband despite this being a "less than stable" environment and a husband can keep his child even if his wife dies, and yet a homosexual couple cannot raise a child together in a more "financially secure" household? A man or woman can raise a child alone if they gain sole custody of their child despite this being a "less than ideal" environment... yet two homosexuals cannot raise a child as a couple? This seems very stupid to me. I don't even think the issue is about a stable environment. I think that is just the excuse the opposition uses because their real fear, that a homosexual couple could not provide a MORAL household, is not a valid enough excuse to prevent homosexuals from adopting... which brings me to #3.

3. My belief is that homosexuality is not "immoral". Therefore, raising children in a "homosexual household" would not be threatening their moral development. Therefore, once again, there is no reason why homosexuals should not be allowed to adopt.

Lightkeeper

Great reply, Runt. Speaking of a "moral" atmosphere. I wonder how many heterosexual couples are raising children and are not married.

Sorry, a little off topic, but Runt when I read your post I thought you said they SHOULD NOT, and from your other posts I wondered why you would have came to this conclusion, so that is really the only reason why I asked, good reply, BTW, nicely said. It is really scaring me though, I have caught myself several times reading a post the opposite it was written, what is up with that??

Oh, and just out of curiosity, is it in fact against a law for gays to adopt, because I thought Rosie O' Donnell did, so in that case this would just be a personal or religious view debate, correct??

Runt

Lightkeeper said:
Speaking of a "moral" atmosphere. I wonder how many heterosexual couples are raising children and are not married.

A good question. I haven't the slightest clue, or the slightest clue how to find out. In anyone does get that stat, though, I would like to know what you find! :)

OctoberTheHottie said:
It is really scaring me though, I have caught myself several times reading a post the opposite it was written, what is up with that??

LMAO, I've had a problem misreading as well. We're reading the novel Jazz at school and I misread the line "That Violet should not have let the parrot go" as "That Violet DID NOT let the parrot go" (which I interpreted to mean she KILLED it)... changed the context of the next three paragraphs in a really funny way. But this is off topic, so...

OctoberTheHottie said:
Oh, and just out of curiosity, is it in fact against a law for gays to adopt, because I thought Rosie O' Donnell did, so in that case this would just be a personal or religious view debate, correct??

I think it's legal in some states and illegal in others. And then the adoption agencies go through their own screening process and probably have certain qualifications that those wanting to adopt must meet... and some probably discriminate against homosexuals as well as people of different religions, people of different ethnic groups, and people of different socioeconomic statis.

But yeah, I think this is a personal/religious question rather than a strictly legal one.

Runt

But it doesn't tell how many heterosexual unmarried couples are raising kids... it says how many MARRIED couples are raising kids (24% of all households) but does not say which percentage of households have NO kids (so I can figure out how many of those households have kids but the "parents" are unmarried).

Redeemed of God said:

Who in the name of jesus mary and joseph do you think you are to say what people can and cannot beleive. anyone who loves jesus and believes in him is a christian, regardless of their sexual orientation. where do you get off deciding who deserves jesus' love? please give me an answer cause im dying to know. this holier than thou, self righteous bull isn't doing anyone any good. Here's a little bible passage for you : "He then addressed this parable to those who were convinced of their own righteousness and despised anyone else. (am i the only one seeing a connection here???) 'Two people wnet up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, 'O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity -- greedy, dishonest, adulterous -- or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and I pay tithes on my whole income.' But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.' I tell you, the latter went home jusitfied not the former; for everone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 18: 9-14

you tend to use quotes from the bible out of context... that there is pretty straightforward love. Just love everyone. Don't alienate people. Who did Jesus ever alienate??

Lightkeeper

Runt said:
But it doesn't tell how many heterosexual unmarried couples are raising kids... it says how many MARRIED couples are raising kids (24% of all households) but does not say which percentage of households have NO kids (so I can figure out how many of those households have kids but the "parents" are unmarried).

Here are more statistics on unmarried couples with children.

http://www.unmarried.org/statistics.html

Runt

Thanks. Here are the stats from that site:

"41% of unmarried partner households have children under 18 living in them.
- U.S. Census Bureau, America's Families and Living Arrangements 2000

33% of all births are to unmarried women.
- National Center for Health Statistics, 2000 data (report released 2002)

41% of first births to unmarried women are actually babies born to cohabiting couples, not "single" women.
- Bumpass, Larry and Lu, Hsien-Hen(2000). "Trends in Cohabitation and Implications for Children's Family Contexts in the United States." Population Studies, 54: 29-41.

About two-fifths of children are expected to live in a cohabiting household at some point.
- U.S. Census Bureau, 2000"

And yet homosexual COUPLES cannot raise a child together? Doesn't make sense...

Redeemed, it sounds like you can't back up what your saying. You have given no good reasons for your position. So carful about what you say, because it offends me a lot and it offends people i love dearly