• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homophobia (politics vs real life)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is more of a rant.

I'm not an activist but I do see how LGBTQ politics is in unintentionally creating and confirming stereotypes that is just not true or budged among people who identify as LGBTQ as a whole. While activism helps gay (LGBTQ) invidual obtain the same level of service, same benefits, etc as our straight peers on the other hand the method of doing so is highly miscued because of the flamboyancy (no pun) in nature.

1. Defining us by your experiences and political leanings
2. Religious influences
3. The Gay Agenda and The real world
4, Anywayz
5. Disclaimer

I went to PRIDE last year and this year. Thank gosh I didn't see what you see on the news women with no shirts. Men in things (yuck), etc. Not like the bigger cities where, in my view, sexual expression is used to gain awareness for equal rights.

But, how does that help is gain equal rights? This shows that people who wants these rights do so at the expense of public inappropriateness. That's like me as an African American in the K. Luther days (I'm younger than that) painting myself pitch blank to prove Blacks shouldn't be discriminated against. Making myself look blacker as to make an emphasis on skin color when skin color is just a scapegoat of what we are denied despite the colors of our skin.

Same with sexuality. There are sooo many ways to fight for our rights without being overly entertaining. It puts a stigma in homophobic head that the gay community acts This Way when a lot of us don't. It causes unfair generalizations based on that person's personal experience with "gays", to their political leanings. We are defined by other people's experiences and political and religious views and not as individuals.

Since there is so much sexual expression among non-activist, there is a lot more stereotypes that just do not need to be confirmed by being Too Out. Im speaking about politics, media, etc and how what people see is how they interpret gay people in their religious books.

For example, in christianity, it says homosexuality is a sin. They define it as an act between two people of the same gender. It has nothing to do with the person but with the action. But many christians see otherwise. They cant tell the difference between the two.

On RF I dont know how many years ago there was a homosexual conversation, out of hundreds, most likely, where the RF member, say Jane, mentions because homosexuals are homosexual they have more tendency to act on our sins than her straight peers. As if those who are pedophiles (crude context comparision, I know: case in point) who are pedophiles have a predesposition to commit child abuse. As if attract to a given person wil automatically (and subocnsciously like a potoguaist or something) draw us to the victim of prey.

At PRIDE I almost cried when I saw LDS booths supporting us. Not in the full way we would hope but they were there regardless. Now THAT was a blessing.

But hoping around in spedos doesnt quite get the picture that we are beyond our sexual external expression. Sexuality just means a lot more than that.

Stereotypes such as the Gay Agenda. What exactly is the gay agenda. Im gay, why havent I heard about this long time ago? Here is a nice talk on The Gay Agenda. Since this is a rant, you can watch it whenever you feel.

But there is a stereotype that all gay (LGBTQ) people act the same when promoting gay rights. My father in his late early sixties told me almost recently after my telling him how I feel as a gay individual, he says "oh, you are one of them.". Stuff* like that. Not all gay people are activist. Not saying activist is bad, just saying we are not all outspoken about geting rights to be ourselves.

a. Which means, no one is trying to influence your children on being gay. Thats silly. We have different personalities that can influence peers. Say if one litle girl wears glitter so does her friend. But glitter isnt gender specific. I never saw when I went to the store "this product is only used by women". Stuff like this is a cultural construct not a moral one.

b. No one is forcing their lifestyle on you. I find this funny, really, when you guys generalize all gay people. In this specific case, its not just generaizing, its totally false. Im siting at my desk, watching TedTalks, about to go exercising, I can CARE LESS what you straight people do. I gotta loose weight. Gay people like to loose weight to. We have children. We are christian.

In cognitive behavor pyschology, Im learning that the things we experience, when it affects us, our thoughts can either keep with that thought (he hates me), address it (I feel you dont like me, is that true?), change it (Oh. It was because I said this. Thats why.) It isnt about me, it was just what I said. I can chose to react and make it personal or let it be.

Those who feel the gay community is pushing our lifestyle on them is really not asking us if this is true. Its a knee jerk reaction that their bias and religious views are being challenged. Thats totally different than just disagreeing.

Anywayz.

It just innardles me that religious bias and disagreement can judge a whole set of people. I will bring up this crude example again. It is not just religious people who see this. Take RF on pedeophilia. Just because someone is attracted to children doesnt mean that person is set out to abuse children. Just because you are a priest, doesnt mean you will child molest. Just becaue we are gay doesnt mean we will go out wild and have gay-sex with you or push it on you.

Life just doesnt work that way. We all have biases. Just when you acnt see how much it kills people, that, is the problem. Opinions are fine just I wonder where you guys get all of this mentality from.

Why am I so gay?

Just because

Cooky

Veteran Member
What bothers people, I think, is not the part where LGBT promotes equality and anti-discrimination towards individuals. That's a good thing.

What bothers people is that LGBT simultaneously creates a new subset group of individuals who actually identify themselves based solely on their sexual inclinations...

...I think people frown on that, because sex is seen of as more of a luxury, or at least as a low priority in the grand scheme of our earthly survival.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
b. No one is forcing their lifestyle on you. I find this funny, really, when you guys generalize all gay people. In this specific case, its not just generaizing, its totally false. Im siting at my desk, watching TedTalks, about to go exercising, I can CARE LESS what you straight people do. I gotta loose weight. Gay people like to loose weight to. We have children. We are christian.

I'm not sure what your post really wants to paint. As a Christian, I believe all people should have the right of free will.

I happen to highlight what I seem to find so often, but no always, your pointing out of "generalization" while you then generalize with "you guys" as if there is only one position.

Just an observation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what your post really wants to paint. As a Christian, I believe all people should have the right of free will.

I happen to highlight what I seem to find so often, but no always, your pointing out of "generalization" while you then generalize with "you guys" as if there is only one position.

Just an observation.

It's a rant, though. Everyone generalizes say with the pedophilia thing or just in general. Thats human nature (or by culture. Americans generalize by sex and race mostly. ) When the generalizations harm people, that's totally different.

I never did like love the sinner and hate the sin. It's more of an identity thing. As for homosexuality and actions etc that's totally different.

It's biblical. Take the church. I love the church but some things get on my nerves. They love the sinner and hate the sin. The program they have is to help gay individuals turn from their sin to be creatures of god. The manner and intent is fine but the idea there is something wrong with a person that needs changing is totally different.

Take scripture. Unless you believe homosexuality is not a sin, it's inflected on people who are perceived as homosexuals and thus who will sin. Kinda like all murderers have a predisposition to murder. Which is weird because it seperates the people making the statement from the person doing the action.

But I don't know about other faiths. Buddhism is more about cultural norms. The Dharma does speak of marriage between male and female. So, in that respect, scripture is fine. But, yeah, unless homosexuality is not a sin, many christians do take up that view. Ideally, we hope that view isn't placed on homosexuals but in reality, it is.

Someone on RF mentioned if someone murders why not call him a murderer. Same mentality. I was never indoctrinated with all of this. It became so in my face after going to Pride and really conversing with people off line and other places. It's really sad that to see a christian support gay anything is a blessing.

They don't support as in say it is not a sin. So there is only but so many ways you can support without going over your own morals in by what nature you are supporting a person.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
A few years ago I went on vacation in New Orleans and walking around the city it just happened by chance that there was also some gay pride event/march going on in one part. I remember distinctly two guys wearing nothing but sneakers and diapers with their hands down the rear of each others walking down the street, if they were two attractive lesbians it would still be strange with the whole diaper thing but panties would be fine. Overall it reminded me of what one might see on the streets of Las Vegas pretty much any night.

gay-blade-swscan09548-copy.jpg

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What bothers people, I think, is not the part where LGBT promotes equality and anti-discrimination towards individuals. That's a good thing.

What bothers people is that LGBT simultaneously creates a new subset group of individuals who actually identify themselves based solely on their sexual inclinations...

...I think people frown on that, because sex is seen of as more of a luxury, or at least as a low priority in the grand scheme of our earthly survival.

Yeah. True. When my friend and I are discussing her first date etc we don't stop and remind ourselves we are gay or switch pronouns. It's natural. To tell you honest I never mentioned guys in a way I may be intimate with them. Theyre just not in my worldview of experiencing romantic love. But I've been out for almost fifteen someone years.

I mean, at the mall at one store I talked with one lady around my age and she mentioned she is trans and nonbinary. I never knew what nonbinary meant and would have never until I went online.

I mean, I understand the issue of more Letters. That I only came across online. I don't have a television. But it's highly miscueing the point.

It's sad to see such views on RF. In person you really don't get that much detail of a person's view unless they really know you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Actually, I consider this rant pretty alright. I go to an LGBT support site. There was a comment that if anyone against LGBTQ come to this members property, she has her shot guns ready (real ones).

Some places are worst than others.

PureX

Veteran Member
Gay Pride parades are not about fighting for equal rights. They are a celebration of individual, non-heterosexual lifestyles. And that's why people's sexual preferences are on display. If one finds this sort of sexual flamboyance offensive, they probably should avoid going to these parades. But the point of the parades is that these people ALREADY HAVE THE RIGHT to be who and what they are, and to live accordingly. And they are out celebrating this fact for all the world to see.

David T

Premium Member
This is more of a rant.

I'm not an activist but I do see how LGBTQ politics is in unintentionally creating and confirming stereotypes that is just not true or budged among people who identify as LGBTQ as a whole. While activism helps gay (LGBTQ) invidual obtain the same level of service, same benefits, etc as our straight peers on the other hand the method of doing so is highly miscued because of the flamboyancy (no pun) in nature.

1. Defining us by your experiences and political leanings
2. Religious influences
3. The Gay Agenda and The real world
4, Anywayz
5. Disclaimer

I went to PRIDE last year and this year. Thank gosh I didn't see what you see on the news women with no shirts. Men in things (yuck), etc. Not like the bigger cities where, in my view, sexual expression is used to gain awareness for equal rights.

But, how does that help is gain equal rights? This shows that people who wants these rights do so at the expense of public inappropriateness. That's like me as an African American in the K. Luther days (I'm younger than that) painting myself pitch blank to prove Blacks shouldn't be discriminated against. Making myself look blacker as to make an emphasis on skin color when skin color is just a scapegoat of what we are denied despite the colors of our skin.

Same with sexuality. There are sooo many ways to fight for our rights without being overly entertaining. It puts a stigma in homophobic head that the gay community acts This Way when a lot of us don't. It causes unfair generalizations based on that person's personal experience with "gays", to their political leanings. We are defined by other people's experiences and political and religious views and not as individuals.

Since there is so much sexual expression among non-activist, there is a lot more stereotypes that just do not need to be confirmed by being Too Out. Im speaking about politics, media, etc and how what people see is how they interpret gay people in their religious books.

For example, in christianity, it says homosexuality is a sin. They define it as an act between two people of the same gender. It has nothing to do with the person but with the action. But many christians see otherwise. They cant tell the difference between the two.

On RF I dont know how many years ago there was a homosexual conversation, out of hundreds, most likely, where the RF member, say Jane, mentions because homosexuals are homosexual they have more tendency to act on our sins than her straight peers. As if those who are pedophiles (crude context comparision, I know: case in point) who are pedophiles have a predesposition to commit child abuse. As if attract to a given person wil automatically (and subocnsciously like a potoguaist or something) draw us to the victim of prey.

At PRIDE I almost cried when I saw LDS booths supporting us. Not in the full way we would hope but they were there regardless. Now THAT was a blessing.

But hoping around in spedos doesnt quite get the picture that we are beyond our sexual external expression. Sexuality just means a lot more than that.

Stereotypes such as the Gay Agenda. What exactly is the gay agenda. Im gay, why havent I heard about this long time ago? Here is a nice talk on The Gay Agenda. Since this is a rant, you can watch it whenever you feel.

But there is a stereotype that all gay (LGBTQ) people act the same when promoting gay rights. My father in his late early sixties told me almost recently after my telling him how I feel as a gay individual, he says "oh, you are one of them.". Stuff* like that. Not all gay people are activist. Not saying activist is bad, just saying we are not all outspoken about geting rights to be ourselves.

a. Which means, no one is trying to influence your children on being gay. Thats silly. We have different personalities that can influence peers. Say if one litle girl wears glitter so does her friend. But glitter isnt gender specific. I never saw when I went to the store "this product is only used by women". Stuff like this is a cultural construct not a moral one.

In cognitive behavor pyschology, Im learning that the things we experience, when it affects us, our thoughts can either keep with that thought (he hates me), address it (I feel you dont like me, is that true?), change it (Oh. It was because I said this. Thats why.) It isnt about me, it was just what I said. I can chose to react and make it personal or let it be.

Those who feel the gay community is pushing our lifestyle on them is really not asking us if this is true. Its a knee jerk reaction that their bias and religious views are being challenged. Thats totally different than just disagreeing.

Anywayz.

It just innardles me that religious bias and disagreement can judge a whole set of people. I will bring up this crude example again. It is not just religious people who see this. Take RF on pedeophilia. Just because someone is attracted to children doesnt mean that person is set out to abuse children. Just because you are a priest, doesnt mean you will child molest. Just becaue we are gay doesnt mean we will go out wild and have gay-sex with you or push it on you.

Life just doesnt work that way. We all have biases. Just when you acnt see how much it kills people, that, is the problem. Opinions are fine just I wonder where you guys get all of this mentality from.

Why am I so gay?

Just because
Oh a gay person with depth now thats rare!!!

Kenny

Premium Member
It's a rant, though. Everyone generalizes say with the pedophilia thing or just in general. Thats human nature (or by culture. Americans generalize by sex and race mostly. ) When the generalizations harm people, that's totally different.

I never did like love the sinner and hate the sin. It's more of an identity thing. As for homosexuality and actions etc that's totally different.

It's biblical. Take the church. I love the church but some things get on my nerves. They love the sinner and hate the sin. The program they have is to help gay individuals turn from their sin to be creatures of god. The manner and intent is fine but the idea there is something wrong with a person that needs changing is totally different.

Take scripture. Unless you believe homosexuality is not a sin, it's inflected on people who are perceived as homosexuals and thus who will sin. Kinda like all murderers have a predisposition to murder. Which is weird because it seperates the people making the statement from the person doing the action.

But I don't know about other faiths. Buddhism is more about cultural norms. The Dharma does speak of marriage between male and female. So, in that respect, scripture is fine. But, yeah, unless homosexuality is not a sin, many christians do take up that view. Ideally, we hope that view isn't placed on homosexuals but in reality, it is.

Someone on RF mentioned if someone murders why not call him a murderer. Same mentality. I was never indoctrinated with all of this. It became so in my face after going to Pride and really conversing with people off line and other places. It's really sad that to see a christian support gay anything is a blessing.

They don't support as in say it is not a sin. So there is only but so many ways you can support without going over your own morals in by what nature you are supporting a person.

The problem with singling out "homosexuality" is that it bypasses lying, anger, wrath, hatred, evil speaking, bitterness, adultery, etc etc etc. which basically includes everybody "for all have sinned".

I find that "hate the sin and love the sinner" is quite appropriate. I did that with my children and now do that with my grandchildren.

But again, I always find interesting: Why is what you say some Christians think about homosexuality any different from what you said?

"Thank gosh I didn't see what you see on the news women with no shirts. Men in things (yuck), etc."

Is that statement any less judgmental?

Last edited:

sealchan

For me I think that if I see someone different feeling comfortable to express their difference then my own breathing space of difference just got bigger. I think that this benefits everyone. Those who fear perhaps fear because they have also "covered" something wrong inside them their whole life. We all, in fact, do this in some respect. Homophobia may offend some people because they are not ready to "come out" about some secret they have inside them.

sealchan

The problem with singling out "homosexuality" is that it bypasses lying, anger, wrath, hatred, evil speaking, bitterness, adultery, etc etc etc. which basically includes everybody "for all have sinned".

I find that "hate the sin and love the sinner" is quite appropriate. I did that with my children and now do that with my grandchildren.

But again, I always find interesting: Why is what you say some Christians think about homosexuality any different from what you said?

"Thank gosh I didn't see what you see on the news women with no shirts. Men in things (yuck), etc."

The problem with hating the sin is that there is a person attached to that sin. Calling out, holding accountable and setting limits...these block sin. Hate only vents the hater's fear and anger.

Kenny

Premium Member
The problem with hating the sin is that there is a person attached to that sin. Calling out, holding accountable and setting limits...these block sin. Hate only vents the hater's fear and anger.
I agree but I think your definition of hate, is too limited. As I mentioned... I hate lying but that doesn't mean that I hate my son because he lied. Hate can vent a hater's fear if you hate the person or live in fear but you can hate a sin but love a person for love cast out all fear. (As noted in my sentence)

Another example: There is a XXX Church made up of people who were in the porn industry. They hate what the porn industry did to them... but still love the people and go to XXX Conferences to reach those who want out.

(edited)

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The first part, it highly depends on how you define homosexuality. A lot of thr gay community do not define it by action like the bible; so, it is not a sin. A good amount of us don't soley make it about attraction, so it's not a temptation towards sinning anymore than straight attraction is. Just for some reason homosexuals have more influence than straight people who both experience the same biological attraction regardless of who the person is.

The latter is about the nature of how the person dresses. I don't care for How many gay people present themselves. It bothers me a lot. What I dont do is tell them they are wrong nor do I feel they are "pushing their flamboyancy" on me. So, it doesn't affect me. Those christians I speak of in person they really do inwardly believe homosexuals are sinners based on their actions. Like a murder to a murderer. It's not described as everyone sins. Each person's sin is distinct to that person. Child abuse to their child abuser. Murder to their murderer. Lying to their lier.

Homosexuality to their homosexuals. That's the general consensus. As for christians themselves, it highly depends. I meet one or two that understands the difference. A lot of older people like my father don't. And my father isn't religious just he grown up in a highly Christian family.

But, yes, I'm being judgemental. Just as christians as a whole belief is judgemental on those who they feel are sinners for whatever reason. My issue is that the political nature and method gay people (keeping it simple than saying many, some, few, etc) activist portray themselves to get equal rights is highly ineffective. It confirms stereotypes that is just not true of the gay community.

As for love the sinner and hate the sin, I'm speaking of people who refer to homosexuals as sinners distinct from being sinners in general. I love John but I don't love "his" homosexuality is different than "I love John and I don't care for homosexuality" a bit better to get not to associate ones activity with their sexual orientation.

Of course people can't change their language overnight. Many don't know how offensive these associations are. Like: "I love black people but I don't like African American John." It sends a bad message.

On the flip side, it sends a bad message with straight christians because the majority views and biblical views on homosexuality automatically paints a murder to her murderer. So gay community allies are the minority.

It's hard to see that when scripture says otherwise. I just don't care for how the gay community activist presents themselves to address equal rights. It's really confirming the stereotype they (intentional, scriptural, subconsciously or not) see about gay people. Works the same with race and gender. I wasn't raised within Black Culture Community so my views on that are bias. The difference is I don't see others pushing their "blackness" on me just because I'm not apart of that worldview growing up.

Kenny

Premium Member
Just to narrow it down

Those christians I speak of in person they really do inwardly believe homosexuals are sinners based on their actions. Like a murder to a murderer. It's not described as everyone sins. Each person's sin is distinct to that person. Child abuse to their child abuser. Murder to their murderer. Lying to their lier.

Ok... I can't argue against that. There are Christians of all types and sizes, so to speak, even as the Bible talks about baby, children, youth, mature and carnal Christians.

But, yes, I'm being judgemental. Just as christians as a whole belief is judgemental on those who they feel are sinners for whatever reason.
OK... my point was simply you can't be judgmental if you don't like people being judgmental. The reason why I like "hate the sin but love the sinner" (as applied with my children) is that it leaves out judgmental and simply corrects the act.

My issue is that the political nature and method gay people (keeping it simple than saying many, some, few, etc) activist portray themselves to get equal rights is highly ineffective. It confirms stereotypes that is just not true of the gay community.
Agreed.