• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home improvement thread

Greyscale

How does your house look, I mean in case of furniture, design and all other stuff? How much did you invest in all this? Feel free to share with pics.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Those kind of things is not a big part of my life, so even i have sofa, tables, chairs and a few things, it is nothing fancy or expensive. they do the purpose so its ok :)

Evall

Recently, I moved to a new place, moving to a proper house is pretty good. I have a garden and a stunning view from my window. As for furniture, it was made to order and of course, it's not cheap but I'm delighted with the result. By the way, our furniture manufacturer has a blog about his experience. Check it out, there are many useful articles about furniture furnishingsmaster.com

WalterTrull

Godfella
home1.jpg
home5.jpg
home4.jpg

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
"Sitting is the new smoking".

We moved about a year ago and left our chairs and sofas behind. We're now doing the "low furniture" thing. In the living room you can sit on the carpeting or on a cushion. In the dining room the table is low and you sit on a cushion. I use a standing desk. All of this because a lot of new research is concluding that too much sitting is really bad for you.

If you're interested, search for Katy Bowman's books and blogs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We've been in our compound for about 30 years now.
The shack home is extensively remodeled & updated, but only 2500 sq ft.
We like comfortable furniture, & ca 1800-1840 Ameristanian antique furniture.
Our 2nd house (rental) on the property is a renovated carriage house (@700 sq ft).
We have almost 5 acres which I landscape as a large informal garden.
The frog pond (formerly a much hated swimming pool) sports many water plants,
goldfish, & frogs with occasional toads. Numerous outbuildings are filled with
antique machinery & tenants (gotta pay the bills).

This isn't my place, but it shows an effect I try to achieve....
th

p10194991.jpg

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We moved about a year ago and left our chairs and sofas behind. We're now doing the "low furniture" thing. In the living room you can sit on the carpeting or on a cushion. In the dining room the table is low and you sit on a cushion. I use a standing desk. All of this because a lot of new research is concluding that too much sitting is really bad for you.
Too much anything, be it activity or being sedentary, is bad for you. Sitting is sitting, changing the height doesn't change that. Stand up desks also aren't showing to really make that big of a difference, because you're still not moving around (but still putting weight on the knees).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My apartment is a mixture of things I had before I moved, a few things given to me, and a few things bought from a thrift store. And my computer desk is severely massively oversized (it looked much smaller in the store), and overall my apartment is pretty bland, dull, meh, and in dire need of a make over (though I've noticed peeking around no one seems to have a well groomed apartment around here).

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Too much anything, be it activity or being sedentary, is bad for you. Sitting is sitting, changing the height doesn't change that. Stand up desks also aren't showing to really make that big of a difference, because you're still not moving around (but still putting weight on the knees).

I didn't mention that, but yes - one ought to move one's DNA when one is working at a stand up desk.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Raising 5 kids got us into a larger house. Downsizing was an option when they grew up, but we decided it was too much hassle. Instead we rent two rooms. It's a standard middle of the road bungalow in a middle class city. Nothing special either way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Raising 5 kids got us into a larger house. Downsizing was an option when they grew up, but we decided it was too much hassle. Instead we rent two rooms. It's a standard middle of the road bungalow in a middle class city. Nothing special either way.
There is much to be said for renting out extra space.
It covers my property taxes & then some.

My plans for retirement didn't go as planned.
A major shortfall means work'n them assets.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is much to be said for renting out extra space.
It covers my property taxes & then some.

Indeed it does. We like to travel, and it means a trip or so a year. The house needs a new roof though ... within a couple of years. But for me, the communist that I am, it means utilising assets, not just wasting them needlessly. We also like the back yard. Small garden, some roses. The front yard is a mess cause one tree takes all the water you can pour on it.

Your yard, I'm sure, is beautiful.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For half of the year.
Although....when covered in snow, it looks OK.

Both commies & capitalists can hate waste.
There are still remnants of snow here ... anywhere it piled. The gardener in me decided to turn the garden the other day. Stupid spade only went in about half an inch before it hit hard ice. But we're mudjackin' the concrete pad out back ... get it level, so the renters don't slip on the slope and sue us.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are still remnants of snow here ... anywhere it piled. The gardener in me decided to turn the garden the other day. Stupid spade only went in about half an inch before it hit hard ice. But we're mudjackin' the concrete pad out back ... get it level, so the renters don't slip on the slope and sue us.
Our snow piles are mostly gone.
I planted pansies I bought today in planters....planter pansies promptly planted.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Our home has been around longer than some countries, stone built the walls are over a metre thick, the front door was carved from a tree felled over 200 years ago.

When we bought it the place was sound but was last decorated in the 1960s. With dark brown corduroy wallpaper and a single shower the size of a coffin

We have tried to bring it to modern living standards while keeping the french country character. I think we have succeeded.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
They must be the first annuals arriving at the store.

They are this year :D

We bought some dragon begonia, carnations and some lavender plants to replace those showing their age.

Only a tiny courtyard garden but we try to keep it green (and red and yellow and blue and ... )

Today i noticed the buds on the grape vines were bursting. As is the apple and fig trees.

Spring has well and truly sprung and i love it