• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home Grown Terrorists

Neutral Name

The latest shooting in the U.S. in 2019. This time a garlic festival in Gilroy, CA. I don't think we have as many problems with people coming over the border as with home grown terrorists.

Three dead, suspect killed in shooting at Gilroy Garlic Festival in California

Here's the Wikipedia list of mass shootings in the U.S. in 2019.

List of mass shootings in the United States in 2019 - Wikipedia

Scroll down for the numbers. Notice that the numbers don't yet include July. So, actual numbers:
Mass Shootings 239
Killed 232
Injured 954

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The latest shooting in the U.S. in 2019. This time a garlic festival in Gilroy, CA. I don't think we have as many problems with people coming over the border as with home grown terrorists.

Scroll down for the numbers. Notice that the numbers don't yet include July. So, actual numbers:
Mass Shootings 239
Killed 232
Injured 954

I guess they still haven't figured out the motive for the garlic festival shooting. I saw one article where someone asked "why are you doing this?" and the shooter replied "because I'm angry." But no word as to what he was angry about. Apparently, the shooter was killed, but they're looking for a second suspect.

Neutral Name

I guess they still haven't figured out the motive for the garlic festival shooting. I saw one article where someone asked "why are you doing this?" and the shooter replied "because I'm angry." But no word as to what he was angry about. Apparently, the shooter was killed, but they're looking for a second suspect.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm waiting to see why he was angry. The police are checking out his friends, family and social posts to try to figure it out. I don't know how long that will take.

I do hope that they find the other suspect. That might help figure it out.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You are correct but we have many more home grown terrorists than foreign terrorists in this country.

Yes, not a good state to be in. I am assuming those killed by home grown terrorists help make up the numbers of those killed by gun homicides

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They identified who the gunman was, shot and killed at the scene.

3 killed, 15 wounded in shooting that left gunman dead at Gilroy Garlic Festival in San Francisco Bay Area

• 3 killed, including a 6-year-old boy, and 15 others wounded in a shooting at the popular Gilroy Garlic Festival some 80 miles southeast of San Francisco
  • Gilroy police quickly shot and killed a gunman
  • The deceased gunman has been identified as Santino William Legan, 19, CBS News has learned
  • Manhunt on for possible accomplice

Santino William Legan: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Audie

Veteran Member

Mass Shootings 239
Killed 232
Injured 954

terrorist?

Neutral Name

a) depends on what is a "terrorist"
b0 how do you know
c) islamist sleeper cells dont self identify

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines terrorist as "an advocate or practitioner of terrorism as a means of coercion". Terrorism is defined as "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".

How do I know? Let me use it in a sentence. In the early to mid 1980s when I lived in London, the Irish Republican Army kept blowing things up to bother the English. They were trying to coerce the English into seeing things their way through the use of terror. TRUE STORY.

It isn't just extremist Islamics who are terrorists. Anyone who is violent against a group of people with a purpose of killing or terrorizing them is a terrorist. That includes Americans who go on spree killings. It is the same thing, just different people doing it.

No terrorist identifies himself/herself. They just get caught.

Darkforbid

terrorist-group-al-ikea-al-ikea-customer-ordering-anrl-cnllartinn-nnint-14857157.png

Neutral Name

Yes, not a good state to be in. I am assuming those killed by home grown terrorists help make up the numbers of those killed by gun homicides

You win an award. I am very upset with most gun homicides. I especially hate that young people are killing each other at an alarming rate. It is very disturbing to me. Why are Americans so violent? Yes, there are other violent places in the world but I thought that America had good police protection, etc. Not true, I would say.

Audie

Veteran Member
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines terrorist as "an advocate or practitioner of terrorism as a means of coercion". Terrorism is defined as "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".

How do I know? Let me use it in a sentence. In the early to mid 1980s when I lived in London, the Irish Republican Army kept blowing things up to bother the English. They were trying to coerce the English into seeing things their way through the use of terror. TRUE STORY.

It isn't just extremist Islamics who are terrorists. Anyone who is violent against a group of people with a purpose of killing or terrorizing them is a terrorist. That includes Americans who go on spree killings. It is the same thing, just different people doing it.

No terrorist identifies himself/herself. They just get caught.

So, to my point, we have no idea what this
guy had in mind. Coercion, to do or be or change
what?

You quote a definition and then insist
that something that does not fir the
definition is terrorism.

Meanwhile, I'd say in focusing on mass
shootings by psychos, you are missing
on that actual, and far far more common
domestic terrorism that goes on between
rival drug gangs, say. Targeted
assassinations over turf are exactly
terrorism.

You not know how many sleeper cells
there may be. I said "self identify just
to illustrate that you do not know
relative numbers.

People tend to see things as fitting their
ideology,regardless of the availability
of good data.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
You win an award. I am very upset with most gun homicides. I especially hate that young people are killing each other at an alarming rate. It is very disturbing to me. Why are Americans so violent? Yes, there are other violent places in the world but I thought that America had good police protection, etc. Not true, I would say.

The police can hardly be everywhere all the time.

How violent the USA is depends nearly entirely on
where you are. S Side of Chicago, very dangerous.
Small town Iowa, that is another matter.

Obviously no place is 100 percent safe, I was
attacked in a most idyllic setting where nothing
could happen.

Audie

Veteran Member
“Since 9/11, foreign-inspired terrorism has claimed about two dozen lives in the United States. (Meanwhile, more than 100,000 have been killed in gun homicides and more than 400,000 in motor-vehicle accidents.) “

The Terrorism Statistics Every American Needs to Hear - Global Research

"gun homicides" are seldom "terrorism"

My guess would be that the violent repression of
minorities including Chinese,such as went on
in the past was far more frequent form of
terrorism than anything going on now.

Neutral Name

The police can hardly be everywhere all the time.

How violent the USA is depends nearly entirely on
where you are. S Side of Chicago, very dangerous.
Small town Iowa, that is another matter.

Obviously no place is 100 percent safe, I was
attacked in a most idyllic setting where nothing
could happen.

I'll try not to get long winded, Audie lady. No where is safe. My granddaughter wants to ride her bike places by herself because she lives in a very small town and thinks that she is safe. Even there, a violent person can show up.

The police are starting to attend activities like this just because of this happening so frequently. A police officer had killed the gunman in one minute after he started firing because the police were there. Unfortunately, police or armed guards need to be wherever there are crowds these days and they often are.

It hurts me to see people taking this for granted. People don't seem very concerned. The police chief said that there were probably warning signs that people did not pay attention to.
"gun homicides" are seldom "terrorism"

My guess would be that the violent repression of
minorities including Chinese,such as went on
in the past was far more frequent form of
terrorism than anything going on now.

I totally agree with you on that but we still need to try to stop this.

Neutral Name

So, to my point, we have no idea what this
guy had in mind. Coercion, to do or be or change
what?

You quote a definition and then insist
that something that does not fir the
definition is terrorism.

Meanwhile, I'd say in focusing on mass
shootings by psychos, you are missing
on that actual, and far far more common
domestic terrorism that goes on between
rival drug gangs, say. Targeted
assassinations over turf are exactly
terrorism.

You not know how many sleeper cells
there may be. I said "self identify just
to illustrate that you do not know
relative numbers.

People tend to see things as fitting their
ideology,regardless of the availability
of good data.

I care very much about gang violence. I hate to think of kids growing up in that atmosphere and of young people, again, killing each other. I even think that people who grow up in that situation wind up with PTSD because they are traumatized and have greater problems in life due to having gone through it. I definitely think that needs to be made a priority.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'll try not to get long winded, Audie lady. No where is safe. My granddaughter wants to ride her bike places by herself because she lives in a very small town and thinks that she is safe. Even there, a violent person can show up.

The police are starting to attend activities like this just because of this happening so frequently. A police officer had killed the gunman in one minute after he started firing because the police were there. Unfortunately, police or armed guards need to be wherever there are crowds these days and they often are.

It hurts me to see people taking this for granted. People don't seem very concerned. The police chief said that there were probably warning signs that people did not pay attention to.

I totally agree with you on that but we still need to try to stop this.

I did go out of my way to say I had been
attacked in an idyllic place, and I know
far better than I wish to know, that no place
is 100% safe.

Guards and sometimes trained armed
citizens are an unfortunate necessity
these days, it seems

Now, gimme something for use to argue
about!!!! :D

Audie

Veteran Member
I care very much about gang violence. I hate to think of kids growing up in that atmosphere and of young people, again, killing each other. I even think that people who grow up in that situation wind up with PTSD because they are traumatized and have greater problems in life due to having gone through it. I definitely think that needs to be made a priority.

The USA has exactly the drug problem that it is
willing to tolerate.

Not that I am a member of his fan club as some
of my family members were, but Mao did a bang up
job as a drug counselor, best the world ever saw.