• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home grown tech solutions

Mavrikmind

Does anyone have any interesting tech solutions that you have come up with by yourself ? Or does anyone know of any websites that offer info on tech stuff that the average joe can handle on his kitchen table ?

RevOxley_501

solutions to what problems?

i like to make Flat IDE cables into rounded cables by slicing between the wires and zip tying them and heatshrinking them? does that count?

i build computers though---so thats tech to me

btw..your in GA...you needs a nu computer with all that tax money your getting back dont ya?

XAAX

Mavrikmind said:
Does anyone have any interesting tech solutions that you have come up with by yourself ? Or does anyone know of any websites that offer info on tech stuff that the average joe can handle on his kitchen table ?

I am a computer tech Mavrkmind, if you ever have any questions feel free to ask me.

Mavrikmind

I dabble with building computers myself. I have a HP computer that at this point is just a HP shell with all kinds of goodies I've installed myself. Sorry Rev :p
What I was asking with this thread wasn't for anything in paricular but just trivial idea's that could be interesting to someone who might have a use for that particular solution. Call this a thread for sharing idea's wether they help someone or not.
I like that IDE cable idea. Might have to try that myself :D

RevOxley_501

if you have an HP i highly reccomend it, according to what model, i imagine it is might tight in there, you should do everything you can to increase airflow...and aesthetics

Mavrikmind

Oh yes, I've allready made some changes concerning airflow. I switched out the factory cooling fans with Zalman fans. The case came with only one fan but I've installed two, not to mention that I changed the CPU heatsink with a Zalman model ( along with Artic silver heat sink paste ). So my case is pretty cool. My hard drives are Serial ATA so those cables aren't a bother. I'm gonna try your IDE cable idea on my cd/dvd writer cable. that'll open things up a bit better. thanks for idea :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
My High tech is rather "Low tech".

I dread to think how many miles of cable there are running through this house; from the 2 desktops run cables that go to both other bedrooms, the lounge, kitchen and dining room. They feed sound from the hard drives, but also from the Hi-fi downstairs (which goes up to the computer).

Mixed in with that, there is a cable box downstairs that goes upto the loft, to be split in an amp, and re-distributed to all the rooms. Oh, and the alarm cables.........:cover:

My worst nightmare is when things go wrong after a long spell; I know where things go, but it always takes me a good few minutes to remember which lead is which. What can happen is that I finish plugging everything in, and suddenly find a mini-jack plug loose on the floor! One of my computers is home-made (I dread to touch the motherboard, because the commections are so "iffy"- with age).

edit: I am having trouble with an overclocked Athlon; I am waiting to find the right tubing to water cool the processor.

RevOxley_501

yay for Arctic Silver---Zalman has some out that is pretty good too---...sounds like you have soupped that ole HP up pretty nice...

RevOxley_501

michel said:
My High tech is rather "Low tech".

I dread to think how many miles of cable there are running through this house; from the 2 desktops run cables that go to both other bedrooms, the lounge, kitchen and dining room. They feed sound from the hard drives, but also from the Hi-fi downstairs (which goes up to the computer).

Mixed in with that, there is a cable box downstairs that goes upto the loft, to be split in an amp, and re-distributed to all the rooms. Oh, and the alarm cables.........:cover:

My worst nightmare is when things go wrong after a long spell; I know where things go, but it always takes me a good few minutes to remember which lead is which. What can happen is that I finish plugging everything in, and suddenly find a mini-jack plug loose on the floor! One of my computers is home-made (I dread to touch the motherboard, because the commections are so "iffy"- with age).

edit: I am having trouble with an overclocked Athlon; I am waiting to find the right tubing to water cool the processor.

zalman has a nice cooler that works as well as water cooling , its a pricey heatsink but its what i use on my dual core and it keeps it nice and cold even when OCed

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If it doesn't work, slap it. If it still doesn't work, hit it harder. Keep this up until something is shaken back in place to make it work.