• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home canning

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Anyone else here do home canning?

How far have you taken it?

We sometimes get windfalls of certain produce and fruit like one time we were given a whole case of blueberries and another time a dozen mangoes. We were stuck with what to do with them all before they went off (they were already near expatriation or just past)... we didn't want to gorge on them so we started canning.

So far my spouse and I have canned four pints of blueberry jam, three pints of mango/apple/blueberry jam, four pints of peach mango jam and two quarts of applesauce, one quart of apple juice.

We had a pint more of apple juice, but that didn't make it to canning. :drool:

Next we plan on steam packing carrots and onions and maybe splurging on some pickles.

Proud pictures of our products.

Our first batch of blueberry jam!
Our mango peach jam and a pint of apple juice!
Our applesauce and pint of juice!

wa:do

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It's something I'd consider getting into. But I know nothing, nothing at all, about how it's done.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
We can and pickle a fair bit, but it's typically just what comes out the garden.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
We have done some canning, but only fruits with high acidity. I haven't done pressure canning, just hot water canning.

Canned goods from fresh food is awesome for if/when the power goes out and you can't refrigerate your food.

It looks good, PW! Well done!! :)

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
We can over 800 jars a year.

Green beans, tomatoes, pickels, banana peppers, blackberry jam, baked beans, peaches, pears, apple sause both regular and cinnamon.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
We freeze bell pepper rings and measured zucchini ran through the food processor ready for baking bread. Also some of our black berries for pies.

We also grow grapes for wine

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
We freeze bell pepper rings and measured zucchini ran through the food processor ready for baking bread. Also some of our black berries for pies.

We also grow grapes for wine

I had fresh zucchini bread for breakfast.....ohh so good.

I'm hoping to build trellis for grapes and berries this fall. We have plenty of wild blackberries around the house already.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just in case Mrs Revolt ever wises up & leaves me, I'm composing personal ads.
=== Lazy man who likes eating canned food seeks wealthy woman who likes to can food ===
Whaddaya think?

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I grew up in a family of four. Because of canning our fruit and veggies grown and meat that was hunted, my Mom used to spend around $35$40 (1981-2000) every 2 weeks at the grocery story to feed us all, and we ate WELL.

Now she is more recreational about it/not trying to make it 85% of her diet or anything now, but she still goes at it.

Man, I remember husking truck loads of corn to freeze, butchering several deer a year for us and others, and turning the crank on that juicer for tomato sauce/juice and jams!!!!

Oh Lord and all the trips with scrapes taken back to the compost pile next to the garden!!!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I grew up in a family of four. Because of canning our fruit and veggies grown and meat that was hunted, my Mom used to spend around $35$40 (1981-2000) every 2 weeks at the grocery story to feed us all, and we ate WELL.

Now she is more recreational about it/not trying to make it 85% of her diet or anything now, but she still goes at it.

Man, I remember husking truck loads of corn to freeze, butchering several deer a year for us and others, and turning the crank on that juicer for tomato sauce/juice and jams!!!!

Oh Lord and all the trips with scrapes taken back to the compost pile next to the garden!!!

Yeppers, that is exactly the routine. It's not just the money however, the food is more pure, you know what you got, it tastes better and you have a stored food supply.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yeppers, that is exactly the routine. It's not just the money however, the food is more pure, you know what you got, it tastes better and you have a stored food supply.

After we started growing tomatoes in our early years of gardening (and of course canning the sauces), I now have a family of tomato snobs. Even the organic tomatoes at the store just don't compare to what we grow, and we tend to turn our noses at store-bought anymore.

I mean, we'll eat them, but it's not the same. And canned home-grown diced tomatoes? It's like sunshine in a can. :)