• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

holy spirit

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
In Islam the gender less Angel Gabriel is the Holy Spirit., peace be upon Him. We say Him, out of respect.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Depends on who you ask I suppose, but as the Abrahamic god is assigned a male gender, most would say male. JWs believe the HS to be an impersonal force I believe, so presumably they would not ascribe a gender to it. Does it really matter unless you believe it exists?

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Depends on who you ask I suppose, but as the Abrahamic god is assigned a male gender, most would say male. JWs believe the HS to be an impersonal force I believe, so presumably they would not ascribe a gender to it. Does it really matter unless you believe it exists?
Assigned male gender out of respect, nothing more. God is gender less.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In Islam the gender less Angel Gabriel is the Holy Spirit., peace be upon Him. We say Him, out of respect.
Are you suggesting that referring to a hypothetically genderless being as Her would be disrespectful? Seriously?

PureX

Veteran Member
is the holy spirit male? female? or neither?
Spirit is spirit. It's not a biological entity. The spirit of "holiness" is the spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity, within each of us. It's not an 'invisible being' with a sexual personality.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Spirit is spirit. It's not a biological entity. The spirit of "holiness" is the spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity, within each of us. It's not an 'invisible being' with a sexual personality.
So, realistically, should be referred to as IT.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
So why do you still use the term if your are living in a more enlightened society and era?
Simply not to fall into confusion. She is the Almighty <<<<< She?? Does she give birth? Does she have parents? Does she have a start and end etc etc

This is why He, ALLAH is a perfect usage for the Almighty:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Simply not to fall into confusion. She is the Almighty <<<<< She?? Does she give birth? Does she have parents? Does she have a start and end etc etc

This is why He, ALLAH is a perfect usage for the Almighty
Nice work at promoting the infantilization of women from a misogynistic patriarchal mindset, and that's coming from a right wing Canadian conservative, LOL.

You're not going to "win" this one. I'd drop it now while you still have a tiny measure of credibility left.

Last edited:

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
In another thread you used YHWH, to refer to deity. Are you not aware that YHWH, is not in the koran?
Do you know where to place the vowels on the Letters Yod He Wav He, so we can hear what the name sounds like spoken out aloud?
Is YHWH found in the New Testament? No but 'I am' is. Are the words 'I am' found in the Qur'an? yes

Aramaic Christians use Elahi, Allahu, AaLah etc. Why don't they use Yahweh or ilah?

Perhaps it's not the same Allah, as the Allah swt of the Qur'an has no son? If that's going to be your line of argument, then yes you have a valid point. I would counter and say the Christians have 'added' this son to the throne of Allah swt, unless you are able to show me where the God of Abraham pbuh has a son using the Jewish Scriptures.

PureX

Veteran Member
So, realistically, should be referred to as IT.
Yes. And especially among religious Christians, I think. Because in the trinity they already have a semi-anthropomorphized God in "God the Father", a fully anthropomorphized God in "Jesus the Christ", so they do not need yet another anthropomorphized version of God as the "Holy Ghost". Too much anthropomorphization of God leads to self-projection, regressive superstition, and religious authoritarianism.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
is the holy spirit male? female? or neither?

in judaism it is called the shekinah descending and filling the temple; which is feminine. in genesis 1:2 ruwach is a feminine as well.

in the NT it is neutored but when it's described as a dove, its feminine.

all babies in utero start out as female phenotype

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

This is why He, ALLAH is a perfect usage for the Almighty:.

almighty can also be substituted with the Absolute. If then you believe Allah is separate from his creation then God is not Absolute because there is Allah and something besides Allah, or separate from Allah.

this is called disconnection. this is what hell is. it is a disconnection and confusing from not knowing Allah

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
I might. Generally, Jehovah, is how I write that, but I 'm not sure what you're trying to argue. We use approximations for JHVH.
so it could sound like ALLAH if someone knew how to say it out correctly.

Do a search, in many places, 'I am' with you, 'I am' the etc etc It's also used by numerous people in the NT:
“I am” (Acts 26:29). “I am he”—Mark 13:6; Luke 21:8; John 13:19; 18:5, 6 and 8. “It is I”—Matt. 14:27; Mark 6:50; John 6:20. “I am the one I claim to be”—John 8:24 and 28.). It is obvious that these translations are quite correct, and it is interesting that the phrase is translated as “I am” only in John 8:58. If the phrase in John 8:58 were translated “I am he” or “I am the one,” like all the others, it would be easier to see that Christ was speaking of himself as the Messiah of God

Ego eimi [“I am”] does not identify Jesus with God, but it does draw attention to him in the strongest possible terms. “I am the one—the one you must look at, and listen to, if you would know God.”

Except it isn't Allah. It's Elohim.
Elohim is not the name of God though is it?

Of the names of God in the Old Testament, that which occurs most frequently (6,823 times) is the so-called Tetragrammaton, Yhwh (
V09p160002.jpg
), the distinctive personal name of the God of Israel. This name is commonly represented in modern translations by the form "Jehovah," which, however, is a philological impossibility (see Jehovah). This form has arisen through attempting to pronounce the consonants of the name with the vowels of Adonai (
V09p160003.jpg
= "Lord"), which the Masorites have inserted in the text, indicating thereby that Adonai was to be read (as a "ḳeri perpetuum") instead of Yhwh. When the name Adonai itself precedes, to avoid repetition of this name, Yhwh is written by the Masorites with the vowels of Elohim, in which case Elohim is read instead of Yhwh. In consequence of this Masoretic reading the authorized and revised English versions (though not the American edition of the revised version) render Yhwh by the word "Lord" in the great majority of cases.

In fact Elohim is said to come from the Arabic word ilah:

The most common of the originally appellative names of God is Elohim (
V09p161016.jpg
), plural in form though commonly construed with a singular verb or adjective. This is, most probably, to be explained as the plural of majesty or excellence, expressing high dignity or greatness: comp. the similar use of plurals of "ba'al" (master) and "adon" (lord). In Ethiopic, Amlak ("lords") is the common name for God. The singular, Eloah (
V09p161017.jpg
), is comparatively rare, occurring only in poetry and late prose (in Job, 41 times). The same divine name is found in Arabic (ilah) and in Aramaic (elah). The singular is used in six places for heathen deities (II Chron. xxxii. 15; Dan. xi. 37, 38; etc.); and the plural also, a few times, either for gods or images (Ex. ix. 1, xii. 12, xx. 3; etc.) or for one god (Ex. xxxii. 1; Gen. xxxi. 30, 32; etc.). In the great majority of cases both are used as names of the one God of Israel.

Those following the Abrahamic Faiths ALL worship the same ilah, ALLAH, Exalted and Majestic is He (swt)

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
in the image of god he created them male and female. they are a reflection of God's dual gender. God is not genderless.
I speak from the perspective of the Abrahamic faiths. You are free to believe what you like.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I speak from the perspective of the Abrahamic faiths. You are free to believe what you like.
i was raised in the abrahamic faith. God is not a abrahamic faith. we're all free to believe what we will. God is not disconnected from her/his creation. men who assign limits to the Almighty are just men. The Almighty is greater than islam, judaism, christianity. she created all these things and men simply found them in their searching.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
i was raised in the abrahamic faith. God is not a abrahamic faith. we're all free to believe what we will. God is not disconnected from her/his creation. men who assign limits to the Almighty are just men. The Almighty is greater than islam, judaism, christianity. she created all these things and men simply found them in their searching.
Ok that's fine, Abraham pbuh traces his lineage back to Adam and Eve pbut, the first humans of our age. What evidence have you to support God is duel gender?