• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy Spirit - Gift of Interpretation

Zorro1227

So I have always wondered why it is that all "christians" feel they have an ability to interpret the scriptures because of the holy spirit. If this were in fact true, wouldn't all christians have the same interpretations? If there is one holy spirit, then why would this spirit give all people different interpretations? I honestly feel like if I hear another christian tell me "Well, that is because you cannot interpret the scriptures", I am going to scream!

Let's discuss!

cardero

Citizen Mod
As you may know Zorro1227 that there are some people who have contact with a “holy” spirit that does not resort to written scriptures but does make claims to their followers that closely resemble what they are taught from their “holy” books.

If I were to prescribe an answer, I would probably use an example that most Christians would readily understand and that is either GOD does not care how one interprets its Scriptures (in other words, if it was important enough to GOD, you will never hear of GOD truthfully correcting any of these misunderstandings) or that many are being misled by an entity who is not truthful but is rather elusive and possibly "unholy".

Last edited:

Zorro1227

As you may know Zorro1227 that there are some people who have contact with a “holy” spirit that does not resort to written scriptures but does make claims to their followers that closely resemble what they are taught from their “holy” books.

If I were to prescribe an answer, I would probably use an example that most Christians would readily understand and that is either GOD does not care how one interprets its Scriptures (in other words, if it was important enough to GOD, you will never hear of GOD truthfully correcting any of these misunderstandings) or that many are being misled by an entity who is not truthful but is rather elusive and possibly "unholy".

I would have to say that I agree with you. It's just always interested me. I feel like the holy spirit is just an excuse to "interpret" the scriptures any way someone wants to.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I would have to say that I agree with you. It's just always interested me. I feel like the holy spirit is just an excuse to "interpret" the scriptures any way someone wants to.

A sure way for me (personally) to tell if someone is not in contact with a "holy" spirit is that they do not have (the capacity of) truth but are rather (content with) practicing faith.

Last edited:

Dunemeister

The gift of interpretation has nothing to do with interpreting scripture. It is a partner to the gift of tongues. A person who speaks in tongues does not know what she is saying; a person with the gift of interpretation has the ability, under the right conditions, to interpret what someone else says in tongues. That way, the community is edified rather than just the tongue-speaker. See 1 Corinthians 12 - 14 on this.