• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy Sophia

gnosisofthomas

Gnostic Deacon
I'm just curious if any Christian witches here honor the holy Sophia (Wisdom) as their prefered form of the Divine Feminine. I do, but then I'm religiously Gnostic... I don't really identify as Wiccan, but I do practice witchcraft. :)

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Gnostic witchcraft? I'd like to know more. I feel there is a lot of wisdom in many of those texts. Particularly my favorite "Thunder Perfect Intellect". I have been to Hagia Sophia in Istambul and despite its shoddy "conversion" into a Mosque remains an inspiring and beautiful building. Do you have any idea what level of popular worship Sophia as a spirit of wisdom received in the Byzantine era? Was she petitioned in magical operations and so forth? She must have to have recieved such an enormous and beautiful ediface in her honor.

ed: seems I am mistaken:
There is a common misconception that the capital city of Bulgaria, Sofia, is named after Saint Sophia the Martyr, and so the city's holiday is on September 17. Sofia is in fact named after its ancient cathedral church of Saint Sophia, consecrated not to the early Christian martyr but to the Divine Wisdom of God (Aghia Sophia in Greek). There are several icons of St. Sophia the Martyr and her daughters in that church, though.

Last edited: