• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy Light

No*s

Captain Obvious
The miracle of the Holy Light is a miracle unique to Orthodoxy. It doesn't occur with any other group.

Every Pascha, the people gather to commemorate Christ's resurrection from the dead. On Holy Saturday, they have a procession, the authorities search the tomb for combustables and the like, and they seal it. This is done under the observation of the authorities, the Armenians, and other groups in schism. After this, they seal the tomb.

On the morrow, there is another procession to the Sepulchre, and the Patriarch is again searched, again in front of his rivals. If he fails or is shown to be taking part in fraud, then their churches get a chance at bringing the Holy Fire out. They have every interest for it to fail, for the heterodox and the Orthodox don't get along well there.

After this search, the Patriarch is stripped of his vestaments and brought in with the minimal set of undergarments. Once inside the tomb, the people chant kyrie eleison for an extended period of time. After an indeterminate amount of time, the Holy Fire descends. Sometimes, the Patriarch's candle just lights up, and sometimes it floats about the air before lighting things up. The fire can be touched, and even held. Indeed, to us, this is the very fire of Pentecost.

Other bishops have received the oppertunity to call fort the miraculous fire. They are never successful. The Turkish overlords have tried to stop it that way. When it was done, the people left disappointed, but the Greek Orthodox patriarch was outside atop a column.

After seeing their disappointment, he proclaimed "One is the true faith, and one is the true Church!" and lept down from the column. The column split open, and the Holy Fire proceeded from it.

The Turks tried to inhibit on other occasions, but with similar success (like trying to replace the Patriarch's wick with copper, but it still lit). Today, skeptics try and explain it in a varity of ways. However, they all fall short. One says they cause it with a lighter, but the miracle is at least 1400 years old. There were no lighters there. Others fail in other ways. Why can the fire be held? Why does it float about the air sometimes?

Other churches also have grounds to rebuke the Greek superstition and thus remove its support for Orthodoxy's claim to be the One Church, but they haven't explain it either.

In the end, the Holy Fire and the Eucharist are pretty much the only clockwork miracles.

For some more information:
http://www.holylight.gr/
http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Orthodox_Miracles/Pascha_Holy_Light/index.shtml

Joannicius

This was one of the most facinating facts I also found out after comming to The Church.
God is on the Throne and many will not admit it.
I pray for them.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Yes, this was like a bombshell for me also. I hope now, one day, to be able to go see the Holy Light. That would truly be a blessing.

Joannicius

It may sound strange to you, but I think knowing the facts that encompass all the years that it has taking place and the confirmations that it has given are more exciting than experiencing it.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Joannicius said:
It may sound strange to you, but I think knowing the facts that encompass all the years that it has taking place and the confirmations that it has given are more exciting than experiencing it.

Not at all. If I went to a Benny Hinn crusade, I could see "miracles" done, and later find they were frauds. The Holy Light, without other information, would be the same. However, knowing what I know...even without experiencing it, it is a very powerful witness.

Now, combine that with experiencing it, and that would be great. If I can ever make the trip I will, but it would be a hard thing as opposed to going to Alaska to New Valaam to see where St. Herman was. He was a wonderful man.

Joannicius

I saw another thread where you used the word "prelest" so I know you understand some of what is out there in the "miracles" world.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Joannicius said:
I saw another thread where you used the word "prelest" so I know you understand some of what is out there in the "miracles" world.

Yes, I've seen some pretty freaky stuff myself. It's not pretty :(.

A

angellous_evangellous

Thanks for the thread, No*s. I have never heard of this stuff. It is very interesting. I would love to see it for myself as well.

Joannicius

Stick around a little while and we'll take you for quite an excursion!

The journey into what the Orthodox Church has as history alone is enough to occupy one for a few lifetimes plus.

I found more answers in Orthodoxy than I have found questions, but it was a very difficult paradigm shift for me. In God's providence I rented an apt. from an Orthodox family, the man was a priest.

I knew NOTHING of Orthodoxy. Around a year later I became one.

That was eight years ago and I love it and our Lord more every day.

I had many years of experience in various churches, mostly being non-denominationally minded. At one point I was offered a Baptist church to pastor and told them if they would become non-denominational I would accept.

I spent a few years as a youth minister and many positions in quite a few churches, looking for one that was consistent in their doctrine and had a history I could trust. All this time there was a scripture that wouldn’t let me rest for I couldn’t get a satisfactory answer for how it could apply to any church I was in or could find. Until the Orthodox Church.

That scripture is: EPH 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism;

I said all that (which for the most part started at my re-dedicating myself to Christ in 1966) to let you know that I’ve “been around the block a couple of times). I am an old man and enjoying life more now than I ever have.

A

angellous_evangellous

I had many years of experience in various churches, mostly being non-denominationally minded. At one point I was offered a Baptist church to pastor and told them if they would become non-denominational I would accept.

I am going through the same thing right now! I am refusing Baptist pastorates although I am ordained. I am requiring non-denomenational status or at least full cooperation with everyone who confesses Jesus Christ as Lord.

I spent a few years as a youth minister and many positions in quite a few churches, looking for one that was consistent in their doctrine and had a history I could trust. All this time there was a scripture that wouldn’t let me rest for I couldn’t get a satisfactory answer for how it could apply to any church I was in or could find. Until the Orthodox Church.

I too was a youth minister. I am not uncomfortable in the least with our history. However, it is frustrating that each non-denomenational pastor has his own systematic theology, and each denomenation has their own views (if they are able to unite). In spite of this, we value that freedom and seek together to continue to unite under Christ.