• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hollywood Movie on the Life of Rama.

There is a new movie coming out on the life of the Lord Rama.

Now my question.

Is this a good thing or just cultural appropriation ?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
First of all, I think "cultural appropriation" is sometimes an over- and misused phrase when (I think) most people mean misappropriation. However, that's another post for another day.

As for the movie? Well, I could barely make out any of it. As such, I can't really give an opinion. However, if Hollywood is going to make it, then I have my reservations.

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Like Starry said, it's hard to form an opinion on it since it's barely shown. I don't have a problem, in theory, with Hollywood (or anyone) doing a version of the Ramayana, but if the laughing stock that was "Noah" and "Exodus" are anything to go by, it's not much to hope for. Epics tend to get over simplified and dumbed down in favor of lots of action and crappy CG. I guess I can't blame anyone for mining the Ramayana for that since it would be really easy to do, but it would just miss a lot.

I'm sort of in limbo about it. I am at the same time hoping for, and deeply dreading a new film version of the Ramayana because there are a lot of concepts that will either get skimmed over or completely misused in order to make it appealing to a western audience. On the other hand, If someone can at least attempt to do the story justice I'm okay with it.

I'd have to find it again but some animation studio (not Disney) was planning a version of the Ramayana from the (and I'm quoting here) "Monkey's point of view". (I assume they mean, Hanuman). I haven't heard anything about it since and it's been a few years. Don't know if it fell through, but judging by the wording I am okay with that.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Hindus. I thought this last Noah movie was pretty interesting and dealt with some of the weirder aspects of the story and wove in lost of extra weird mythology that I hadn't heard of. It was cool and geeky. I've no idea who's doing the Rama movie, but the man seems to be holding the bow properly.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I have a really good feeling about this. At first I knew nothing of it, and the preview link was empty of any preview at all, just Brits praising it.

But I was curious, I started searching around, and they are even taking input from those who are Ramayana fans and devotees to help drive the spirit of the movie. I might even send my suggestions.

They want to have a "Lord of the Rings" cinematic approch to the graphics, schematics, spirit and effect.

I think that is exactly the right approach. Because in "real time", when it happened, it was and is, in my opinion, very much like a Lord of the Rings play of light, sound, personality, and landscape.

A Rudraksha production.

Good choice for a movie production team. This is probably going to be good. And it won't be their last if the money comes in. In 1968, I saw the movie 2001, in San Jose, in a domed cinema. It was fantastic. It had huge impact for it's time. One of the great movies of all time. This might very well... have such impact, let us wait and see more.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Now my question - Is this a good thing or just cultural appropriation ?
The hair-cut is wrong (I only got a glimpse). It should either be a bun at the top or shoulder length. Lord Rama did not have Woodrow Wilson-like haircut (I know that for sure :)). It depends on the film-maker whether it is made into a caricature or presented respectfully. Should they make Rama into a Braveheart or Heracles? No promo, just talk.

images
not like this
Woodrow-Wilson-SC.jpg

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Well, yes, I don"t want Ram to have Julius Caesar haircut, but are you sure? The only "scenes" I saw didn"t show anything or they were from some other movie (seriously).

Anyway, they are collecting input to help from devotees, so I don"t think they are that stupid to have the wrong haircut. The guy might be a potential actor but hasn't grown his hair yet. Generally Hollywood doesn't like to use wigs, they will but prefer to have their heroes with their own long hair and then maybe dye it or add "tails" or puffs.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
They have their head in the right framework, but they are short on money. When I signed up with them, they sought sponsors/donations. I might give some money, this looks like a great venture. These are sharp people, taking this very seriously and very intelligent and wanting to honor Ram.

They have their head in the right framework, but they are short on money. When I signed up with them, they sought sponsors/donations. I might give some money, this looks like a great venture. These are sharp people, taking this very seriously and very intelligent and wanting to honor Ram.
To tell the truth I am skeptical...But.... You give me hope. I would like it if you are right.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Or make him into a red-head or Sandy. I do not think they will do that. But K. Asif did that in his magnum opus 'Mughal-e-Azam' (The Great Moghul). He showed Prince Salim (later Emperor Jehangir) as a red-head (or whatever it is termed as in US). I do not think Indian audience liked that. The story goes that Akbar did not want Salim to wed Anarkali, so he had her entombed alive in a wall.

13FRMUGHSL-E-AZAM3_169776g.jpg
images

Madhubala was a craze, beautiful and energetic. By the time Mughale-e-Azam was released (it took 16 years to make), she was past her peak, Dilip Kumar too. Dilip Kumar (Yusuf Khan) and Madhubala (Mumtaz Jehan) as Prince Salim and Anarkali, the courtesan, in 'Mughal-e-Azam', but the songs were phenomenal. Anarkali Bazar in Lahore (Pakistan).

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
For what it's worth, here is their project portfolio depiction of Ram, I also found part of the script:

350c5175ea9295975403801b2b00a737_original.png

But perhaps their dreams will be shattered for lack of funding. It would be sad, their hearts are in the right place. I hope they succeed.

bc3d4875de3f079ff9c7598dfc0f2a1f_original.png

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am nit-picking just for fun, so do not mind. I wish the makers of the film all success. The Japanese did a nice depiction in their animated film.
However, what kind of bow is Lord Rama is shown to be holding? Were there ever bows like that? I don't think that kind of bow will handle well in practice.

"At the weights more usual for modern amateurs, the greater density of horn and sinew compared to wood usually cancels any advantage of composite construction. For most practical non-mounted archery purposes, self bows can perform as well as composite; "the initial velocity is about the same for all types of bow... within certain limits." Self bow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Peoples living in humid or rainy regions* historically have favoured self-bows, while those living in dry or arid regions have favoured composite bows." Composite bow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* India, for example. :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm genuinely kind of curious to see this pan out, actually. I could definitely see, as was mentioned, a Rama story told as a Lord of the Rings style movie. That would work, imo. If handled correctly, of course.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Bows of Indian (India) tribals (mostly Self-bows, except in case of Naga tribals. They know about cross-bows, probably missionary influence)

5437254942_89b790bce3_m.jpg
bows-and-arrows.jpg
150776401b39d463a8f74a7c554e685b.jpg
adivasi-060.jpg
Bow1.png
Bow2.png
Bow3.png

I encounter a problem while searching Google, whenever I write 'Indian', American Indians (North and South) crop up. :) Boolian search, 'Indian, not American' is not possible in Google.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was a very nice movie. My son when he was little watched it over and over again.
Yes, Wannabe, so does my grandson. He made a request five minutes ago but his mother made him busy in some other thing. Especially Hanuman going to Dronagiri for Sanjeevani and coming back.

The fourth image is interesting. They are from Central India, Santhals/Gonds. They are sharing 'Mahua', the local drink. Mahua leaves, flowers( Wikipedia - Madhuca longofolia):

Madhuca_indica,I_PAO1057.jpg
220px-Mahua_Flowers_1.jpg
Mahua.png

The mahua flower is edible and is a food item for tribals. They are also fermented to produce the alcoholic drink mahuwa, a country liquor. The main ingredients used for making it are chhowa gud (granular molasses) and dried mahua flowers. Tribals of Bastar in Chhattisgarh and Orissa, Santhals of Santhal Paraganas (Jharkhand), Koya tribals of North-East Andhra Pradesh and tribals of North Maharashtra consider the tree and the mahua drink as part of their cultural heritage.

The liquor produced from the flowers is largely colourless, with a whitish tinge and not very strong. The taste is reminiscent of Sake with a distinctive smell of mahua flowers. It is inexpensive and the production is largely done in home stills. Mahua flowers are also used to manufacture syrup for medicinal purposes and jam.

Last edited: