• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holi 2015

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Taxi ride in Varanasi before Holi:
Holi in Varanasi:
Holi in Mathura:

My Holi will be subdued except when my son in law or my brother's son's family visits us. But then, my mother has gone to the hospital because of a nose bleed. I think the doctors should be able to control it. Not really worried (at least at this moment). My wife and son are with her. My brother and few others will reach from their places.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My mother is OK. She has gone to my brothers place, my wife accompanies her. My brother is a doctor. It was high blood pressure. Perhaps she forgot to take her medicines regularly. Does not matter, our Holi is never boisterous. That is for younger people.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
My mother is OK. .

Glad to hear she's alright. :)

our Holi is never boisterous. That is for younger people.

Are we sure about that? :)

Holi%20widows%20Vrindavan%20(4).jpg

7.jpg

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Happy Holi everyone! We're snowed in tonight. The closest temple is 45 minutes away and the roads are bad, but we have colors so me and my husband might through around some tomorrow. =)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's colorful, to be sure, but too messy for my taste.
^^^ It is a chance to apply color to the cheeks of a young girl you like when one is young. As one grows old the fervor diminishes. Holi begins here in half an hours time - Thursday here. After breakfast, around 9 am.

images

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Gosh, due to work I didn't do Holi this year. This Saturday I have a big family celebration, Holi sneek attack may happen at that.

So ... question for those who are throwing colors ....

DO YOU HAVE a Favorite color to throw at another or be colored with?

(mine is light purple and or pink... not common though)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Is it actually today?

Maya
It ses to depend on who you ask. my hindi teacher says it lasts 5 days starting tonight. Well technically last night in india. The puja for holi is tonight at the local temple with colors being thrown on some day during the weekend.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Gosh, due to work I didn't do Holi this year. This Saturday I have a big family celebration, Holi sneek attack may happen at that.

So ... question for those who are throwing colors ....

DO YOU HAVE a Favorite color to throw at another or be colored with?

(mine is light purple and or pink... not common though)
Red or bright green =)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, the preferred colors are yellow, red, pink, green (traditionally Abir - yellow, Gulal - Red. That is with what the Gods are splattered with). The 'haves' generally use organic color these days and avoid chemicals.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So Holi is the Spring festival? Awesome. Happy Holi! :)
Holi is a festival when everything goes. Earlier, one could abuse or be obscene (that is 'Phag' - denoting the month of Phalgun) and no one would mind. Singing the 'Phag' (normally these people were paid some money and given refreshments):

HOLI_CELEBRATion.jpg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Holi is the favorite holiday of laundromat owners throughout the Hindu world.:D
We are smarter than that. Except for my son, we keep Holi clothes, discarded dresses that we will wear every year and then wash at home. .My son, of course, will wear a new white pyjama/kurta, which he will never wear after that day, the spend-thrift. My grandson hugely enjoyed getting wet and throwing water balloons on the road, his first Holi in awareness.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is how the Holi is played in the two villages:
(Nandgaon, Krishna's village, and Barsana, Radha's village)

Mythology says this is the village where Krishna stayed till his mid-teens with his foster father Nanda Baba and forster mother Yashoda. Nandgaon and the adjacent Barsana, the native place of Radha, is where Holi is played in all its multi-hued glory as villagers re-enact the romantic escapades of the two lovers through the Lathmaar (hitting with bamboos, playfully) Holi. The festival is celebrated over three days, almost a week ahead of the festival in the rest of the country.

On the first day, transvestites from Barsana - sakhis (Radha’s friends), according to mythology - come to Nandgaon to invite the men - Krishna and his friends - to come and play Holi. The next day, Nandgaon’s men visit Barsana where the women chase and hit them playfully with lathis (bamboos). The next day, however, the tables are turned when men from Barsana visit Nandgaon and the latter’s women wield the lathis.

Devki Nandan, a young boy in his early twenties who is a priest at Nandgaon’s temple, said that when the men enter Barsana, they tease women by singing passion-filled songs and name-calling. “It’s like a dewar (husband's younger brother) teasing a bhabi (wife of an elder brother),” Devki says. “That’s why the villagers of Nandgaon and Barsana do not inter-marry.”

The narrow lanes are clogged with people right up to the Radharani temple on the top of a hillock. Amidst this crowd, the elderly villagers sit facing each other, drenched in colour and singing 'horis' (ballads) about the love of Radha and Krishna.
(Hindustan Times, March 6, 2015)

That is what happens when an outsider tries to entice a village girl, welcome him with sticks. There are villages in India, where the playfulness is replaced by throwing stones and bows and arrows. But I think such traditions should be abandoned, where people really get hurt.

Last edited: