• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holding a crucifix tight

Spiderman

Veteran Member
images (1).jpeg

I find that when I'm tempted to drink or use or commit a sin that goes against my conscience, tightly clutching a crucifix in one hand and rosary beads in the other, while begging for the grace to not feed depravity or vice can make the temptation go away.

According to scripture, God can work miracles through simply gazing at an inanimate object. When the Israelites were bitten by snakes, they had to gaze at the bronze serpent for healing.

The crucifixion and cross really speaks to me, because I see a very sick world where everyone has to carry a heavy cross and endure some sort of crucifixion.

What are some of the things that you do to avoid falling into errors that go against your conscience?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's the feast day of Saint John of the cross. He was always suffering or persecuted, but he learned that his cross brought him much grace + blessings, and he believed the cross (suffering) is the tree of life which leads to great blessings + grace from heaven and growth in holiness.

To each their own. I'd love to have his views and strength for the battle.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
View attachment 25991
I find that when I'm tempted to drink or use or commit a sin that goes against my conscience, tightly clutching a crucifix in one hand and rosary beads in the other, while begging for the grace to not feed depravity or vice can make the temptation go away.

According to scripture, God can work miracles through simply gazing at an inanimate object. When the Israelites were bitten by snakes, they had to gaze at the bronze serpent for healing.

The crucifixion and cross really speaks to me, because I see a very sick world where everyone has to carry a heavy cross and endure some sort of crucifixion.

What are some of the things that you do to avoid falling into errors that go against your conscience?

I totally get you with the crucified. For me, it was the Eucharist and prayer to Mary. I can see how you'd see that profound.

Now, I look straight to my ancestors. I set up an altar with my recently deceased aunt. I give offerings and gratitude through that. I come back to the altar and build prayer through physical means. Reflection and conversation helps. Yes. Physical things work wonders.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Its like I have been saying in the "Quitting smoking" threads. At some point I start to realize that feeding a craving is a placebo, actually. This is more true with some things than others, but its especially true with tobacco. I compare all other addictive behaviors to cigarette smoking, since it is the one that is most obviously a useless activity. I used to wish for another cigarette while I was already smoking a red. While I was quitting for the last time I hallucinated and saw myself smoking, but the craving then was no different from what I always felt even while smoking. The craving just never let up no matter what, no matter how much I wanted to believe that it did. It wasn't like food. With food I could get full.

Even so food is a little like cigarettes, sometimes. When I get full I wish I wasn't full, so that I could eat more. I can totally understand vomiting. It makes sense, because I love eating. Fortunately I hate vomit more.

When I feel down its true that once in a while I can get out of a deeply depressive hole by having a drink, but generally I am better off skipping alcohol. I easily get sick of alcohol and worry about dying. There is a resulting irritability a couple of days later. If I get a very good buzz I will be weakened for several days. Alcohol should only be used as an occasional medicine in my opinion, although I would love to have it every day. I use it sometimes to help me relax around other people, but there is a cost. Like I said, I get some irrationality and irritability within 2 days of drinking along with changes in digestion.

Its the same with other things that I crave. Even getting what I want does not satisfy. What I truly believe is that we are each a ball of pure craving, and we endlessly seek to find a solution to that craving which can never, ever be resolved. Therefore satisfaction is pointless, because it is impossible. There are moments of anesthesia, and there are moments of self deception. At these times we are basically avoiding life. Its like the turtle says "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." That is, pleasure is deceptive if it promises anything but a moment of rest; and if it promises no cost its lying twice.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I totally get you with the crucified. For me, it was the Eucharist and prayer to Mary. I can see how you'd see that profound.

Now, I look straight to my ancestors. I set up an altar with my recently deceased aunt. I give offerings and gratitude through that. I come back to the altar and build prayer through physical means. Reflection and conversation helps. Yes. Physical things work wonders.
That's great. Your ancestors are indeed looking out for you. I keep a shrine to some deceased Souls that I feel close to as well. I burn candles and frankincense and honor + venerate them.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That's great. Your ancestors are indeed looking out for you. I keep a shrine to some deceased Souls that I feel close to as well. I burn candles and frankincense and honor + venerate them.

Haha. look don't tell anyone I use candles in my apt. My property manager wouldn't like that...no really. I have a votive candle in a little cute candle holder. I light it when I pray. It's interesting many cultures use candles. It didn't dawn on me the connection until I thought about the light at The Church. They cut it on when jesus is present and off when he isn't.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
View attachment 25991

White knuckle pacifier.