• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hold your breath

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
President Trump will sign an executive order today curbing federal regulations combating climate change, in a major reversal to another Obama policy. That will free up a lot of money in expensive environmental protections so there'll be more profit.

Unfortunately, of course, the progeny of those profiteers will choke to death on the air left to them by their rich ancestors....

BSM1

What? Me worry?
President Trump will sign an executive order today curbing federal regulations combating climate change, in a major reversal to another Obama policy. That will free up a lot of money in expensive environmental protections so there'll be more profit.

Unfortunately, of course, the progeny of those profiteers will choke to death on the air left to them by their rich ancestors....

Up to this point why have you not been raising Cain against the true air polluters in the world-China, Russia, and India? The US is probably the most 'environmentally regulated" country on this planet. These regulations increase the price of all goods made in our country, and this increase is passed on to you and me. This allows other countries to laugh up their sleeves as they make gazillions off their usually inferior products while pumping tons of pollutants into the air. This affects the middle class by forcing them to settle for less or pay more (artificially) for quality. It seems you are more interested in punishing the US then really doing anything about this imaginary 'Climate Change' apocalypse.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Up to this point why have you not been raising Cain against the true air polluters in the world-China, Russia, and India? The US is probably the most 'environmentally regulated" country on this planet. These regulations increase the price of all goods made in our country, and this increase is passed on to you and me. This allows other countries to laugh up their sleeves as they make gazillions off their usually inferior products while pumping tons of pollutants into the air. This affects the middle class by forcing them to settle for less or pay more (artificially) for quality. It seems you are more interested in punishing the US then really doing anything about this imaginary 'Climate Change' apocalypse.
I don't believe the US is anywhere near the "most 'environmentally regulated" country on this planet." Europe (certainly the EU) is far ahead in tackling global warming and other environmental issues.
Prior to the EU getting involved my local river varied between being red or blue depending on which works was discharging that day; now I catch fish in it.
The sea in my area used to be awful, walking through mud which was actually solidified sewage; then swimming in diluted sewage.

Trump is taking America back to the 1950's - was that when America was great?

jonathan180iq

Each Country's Share of CO2 Emissions

Because there's nothing wrong with being a global economic powerhouse, a first world country known from excess wealth and prosperity, and the greatest military in History while also being environmentally responsible and nation consistently dedicated to global leadership on all fronts... It's what should separate us from the rest of the world. Our ability to do those things in combination is what makes us great - and unlike everyone else.

indicator7_2013_top5.PNG

See how we are changing the trend in this chart while still expanding prosperity? Why would anyone want to undo that?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Actually, this is all moot because there is no global warming and no catastrophic climate change.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Taking a few band-aids off of the gaping bullet wounds riddling your body won't really make any appreciable difference one way or the other.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Actually, this is all moot because there is no global warming and no catastrophic climate change.
Ya, but that's fake news. Rush, Fox and RW media aren't climatologists. We have thousands of experts in the field across the world who don't believe what RW media says.

But you can post your source for global warming being unchanged by carbon emissions. (human activity)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
To begin with, how do you rate my ability to be heard in China, Russia or India? Or the US, for that matter, but one has to start somewhere. At least we in the west have established the habit of political dialogue and political protest -- and have shown that it can be at least a little effective.

Also, you seem to be saying that having cheaper goods is more important than having breathable air and perhaps catastrophic losses due to climate change. I have no doubt that life will continue on earth (at least until the sun begins its inevitable demise), but it may well not be human life -- and even if it is, it could be such a dystopian future that cause future generations to curse us all to hell.

Finally, I'm not "punishing" anyone. But be careful what you call "imaginary." Climate change is very real, and it will change this planet. It is doing so now, and the pace is increasing. There are many ways in which some gradual change may reach a "tipping point" beyond which things get truly out of control. And that could well be a very real apocalypse. One of the things that saddens me is that US is one of those countries that actually does have the scientific savvy to understand. But you're not being led by those with scientific savvy. You're being led by the religious and rich hypocrites.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
To begin with, how do you rate my ability to be heard in China, Russia or India? Or the US, for that matter, but one has to start somewhere. At least we in the west have established the habit of political dialogue and political protest -- and have shown that it can be at least a little effective.

Also, you seem to be saying that having cheaper goods is more important than having breathable air and perhaps catastrophic losses due to climate change. I have no doubt that life will continue on earth (at least until the sun begins its inevitable demise), but it may well not be human life -- and even if it is, it could be such a dystopian future that cause future generations to curse us all to hell.

Finally, I'm not "punishing" anyone. But be careful what you call "imaginary." Climate change is very real, and it will change this planet. It is doing so now, and the pace is increasing. There are many ways in which some gradual change may reach a "tipping point" beyond which things get truly out of control. And that could well be a very real apocalypse. One of the things that saddens me is that US is one of those countries that actually does have the scientific savvy to understand. But you're not being led by those with scientific savvy. You're being led by the religious and rich hypocrites.

But if you cannot stop the major polluters in this world what difference does it make what we do?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wonderful, how does that help the middle class again?
ROFL!
The middle class -- bunch of arrogant troublemakers. They want too much of the pie, they have too much time on their hands and are constantly annoying everyone with demands for social change. Just look what happened in the '60s, after Roosevelt's New Deal created a whole generation of 'em.
What we need is a small, stable pool of prosperous patricians, bankers and industrialists, and a large, hungry, compliant pool of cheap labor.

Back to the Roaring '20s has been the goal of the economic royalists (koch, koch -- 'scuse me...) for 84 years now.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
But if you cannot stop the major polluters in this world what difference does it make what we do?
What proof do you have that global warming being influenced by man is a hoax? All nations are recognizing the problem and curbing their emissions. The fossil fuel corporations, some of the wealthiest corporations in the world, are lying to the public about the problem. They have plenty of republicans in congress lobbied to repeat the talking points.
These people are at the bottom of the morality barrel.
Once the temperatures start rising, it's gonna get ugly. I'd hate to see what 50 years from now is temperature wise. +5 degress above where we are today?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That's about as defeatist as you can get -- the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach.

First, you seem to have missed some of the graphs above. No, the U.S., Canada and other western nations aren't the biggest polluters -- but still add a whole whacking lot to the mix. Getting rid of 30% of a bad problem still leaves a bad problem -- but not as bad. And if you can then not only show others that it can be done, but also what it can achieve, then perhaps you get buy-in. Change is hard, doing nothing is easy. But if change leads to life and doing nothing leads to death, it might be worth considering whether hard work is worth it.

All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (Edmund Burke). I suspect that might have some relevance on this topic, too.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What proof do you have that global warming being influenced by man is a hoax? All nations are recognizing the problem and curbing their emissions. The fossil fuel corporations, some of the wealthiest corporations in the world, are lying to the public about the problem. They have plenty of republicans in congress lobbied to repeat the talking points.
These people are at the bottom of the morality barrel.
Once the temperatures start rising, it's gonna get ugly. I'd hate to see what 50 years from now is temperature wise. +5 degress above where we are today?

Sooo...how much has the GLOBE warmed up in the last twenty years? Ten years? Last year?

That's about as defeatist as you can get -- the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach.

First, you seem to have missed some of the graphs above. No, the U.S., Canada and other western nations aren't the biggest polluters -- but still add a whole whacking lot to the mix. Getting rid of 30% of a bad problem still leaves a bad problem -- but not as bad. And if you can then not only show others that it can be done, but also what it can achieve, then perhaps you get buy-in. Change is hard, doing nothing is easy. But if change leads to life and doing nothing leads to death, it might be worth considering whether hard work is worth it.

All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (Edmund Burke). I suspect that might have some relevance on this topic, too.

There is a marked difference between being a "defeatist" and simply facing facts. If you have a dam that's breaking and you think sticking your finger in one of many holes is going to stop anything then you might want to rethink your position. If it's that bad to where your life and/or the life of the entire planet is threatened then you might want to do more than pointlessly argue with faceless adversaries on a time wasting social media platform ( no offense, RF).

tytlyf

Not Religious
Sooo...how much has the GLOBE warmed up in the last twenty years? Ten years? Last year?
Where's your source showing how global warming is a hoax?

Concerning your question on warming, I'd say the last 2 decades the rate of temperature increase hasn't been seen for hundreds of thousands of years. Climate change is normal, but not at this rate. The warming is happening very fast, it's not natural.