• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hobbies and such.

Lorgar-Aurelian

You know in my short time here on RF I've already met some rather wonderful people. Many of whom I like to imagine in funny religious hats. Sometimes religious hats made of cobra ( I can not help but mention @Kirran here) sometimes people made of cobras ( and I mention @1137 because I just got through Sens fortress and with all the references to snakes it has me thinking about him or her as a snakeperson) and even greasy Scottish people @A Greased Scotsman and people I keep imagining as magical rainbow doves @Rival.

With all this in mind I decided I would ask some of these folks I have met and people in general what sort of things keep their interest? You know hobbies and such outside of religious studies. I'd like to build a full picture here for when I inevitably write a comic with all of you in mind and make a lot of money selling it out of the back of my creepy van.

I'll share a bit about myself.

I like to write in my spare time as well as paint and draw. I haven't really posted any art or literature yet but should get around to that eventually. When it comes to subject matter for my writing and illustration I usually like to do religious commentary, morality, science fiction ect.

My favorite books are Starship troopers, Aurelian, The first heretic, the myth of Andalusian paradise, the righteous mind, and a thousand sons.

I do enjoy gaming whether it be something like Pc gaming, tabletop gaming or otherwise. My favorite games are the souls series, Warhammer eternal crusade, dawn of war, xcom , Warhammer 40k , Corvus Belli's infinity and kill team.

I also enjoy weight training and I've been trying to get into running. Honestly though I hate running, I will take walks though and ride my horses from time to time.

I have a particular interest in history and psychology. Pharmacy is my field of study. I greatly enjoy ancient history with a focus on the greeks and the Persian as well as later history like the crusades, colonial Europe ect.

So that Is a little bit about me, so if you wouldn't mind sharing a bit about yourselves i'd love to hear it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm having fun modifying Mr Van, who is getting more attention to day.
But his real function is to haul antique machine tools & engines around the country.
And I live in him when on the road.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
You know in my short time here on RF I've already met some rather wonderful people. Many of whom I like to imagine in funny religious hats. Sometimes religious hats made of cobra ( I can not help but mention @Kirran here) sometimes people made of cobras ( and I mention @1137 because I just got through Sens fortress and with all the references to snakes it has me thinking about him or her as a snakeperson) and even greasy Scottish people @A Greased Scotsman and people I keep imagining as magical rainbow doves @Rival.

With all this in mind I decided I would ask some of these folks I have met and people in general what sort of things keep their interest? You know hobbies and such outside of religious studies. I'd like to build a full picture here for when I inevitably write a comic with all of you in mind and make a lot of money selling it out of the back of my creepy van.

I'll share a bit about myself.

I like to write in my spare time as well as paint and draw. I haven't really posted any art or literature yet but should get around to that eventually. When it comes to subject matter for my writing and illustration I usually like to do religious commentary, morality, science fiction ect.

My favorite books are Starship troopers, Aurelian, The first heretic, the myth of Andalusian paradise, the righteous mind, and a thousand sons.

I do enjoy gaming whether it be something like Pc gaming, tabletop gaming or otherwise. My favorite games are the souls series, Warhammer eternal crusade, dawn of war, xcom , Warhammer 40k , Corvus Belli's infinity and kill team.

I also enjoy weight training and I've been trying to get into running. Honestly though I hate running, I will take walks though and ride my horses from time to time.

I have a particular interest in history and psychology. Pharmacy is my field of study. I greatly enjoy ancient history with a focus on the greeks and the Persian as well as later history like the crusades, colonial Europe ect.

So that Is a little bit about me, so if you wouldn't mind sharing a bit about yourselves i'd love to hear it.

I'm a really big fan of weird fiction, especially Lovecraft. I live reading out and try writing it, and one of my main goals in life is to write a weird fiction novel.

I'm a big gamer, though generally single player only is my style. I love the splinter cell series, halo, souls is my favorite, and I'm incredibly excited for the new mass effect. If your a PC gamer definitely snag the alpha of the Forest, it's the best horror game I've played.

As far as life, I have a degree in psych and am a social worker.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I annoy @Tumah with odd religious questions.

Other than this I write (novels, poetry, diaries), draw (badly), learn languages (I love Latin ones), study and I love walking!
Have you ever posted any of this somewhere we might be able to read or look at them? Do you have a favorite language?

Lorgar-Aurelian

Hey! I am strictly vegan when it comes to hats.

I used to do that! Glad to hear someone's taken my old job ;)
Gotta pass the torch of grand annoyance sometime Kirran. Be carful though as it tends to burn the hand of the person it's being used on and the person holding it. That is why it's just called the torch of grand annoyance.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I'm a really big fan of weird fiction, especially Lovecraft. I live reading out and try writing it, and one of my main goals in life is to write a weird fiction novel.

I'm a big gamer, though generally single player only is my style. I love the splinter cell series, halo, souls is my favorite, and I'm incredibly excited for the new mass effect. If your a PC gamer definitely snag the alpha of the Forest, it's the best horror game I've played.

As far as life, I have a degree in psych and am a social worker.
Teach those kids to be better people using your seitan magic! USE YOUR STAFF OF POWER! Or you know, talk to em whichever works.

I've played through the forest and it was pretty interesting overall.

Do you have any work we might be able to read? I have to admit a lot of my work is within my own little multiverse and or Warhammer 40k fan stuff. I am actually working on a Warhammer 40k fan codex at the moment.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever posted any of this somewhere we might be able to read or look at them? Do you have a favorite language?
Nope.

I love Arabic but it's easier to find Latin language textbooks and as I said I do love Latin. My favourites are Romanian and Old French.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am the biggest nerd here (and I will fight you about it!)

I do 3D modeling and 2d digital graphics, I play Dungeons and Dragons (with about as many minis as your average 40k player), I play a very wide variety of video games, I'm an animal geek and have enough animal trivia (especially birds, non-avian dinosaurs and reptiles) to fill a book, I read a lot (sci-fi, fantasy, historical fiction, non-fiction science reference and pop science), and I love to hike and racewalk. :)
I work at a wellness clinic doing PT and massage, and teach anatomy and physiology in their programs.

I also don't sleep much.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I like reading though I don't do it enough and I like collecting books of various awesome editions. I like video games but usually stick to single player story campaigns unless I'm at a friends place. Right now I'm fascinated by classical myths so I'm delving into Irish, Norse and Ancient Greek folklore. But I typically read a wide variety including classical literature YA Adult children's fantasy and sci fi.
I like playing 3D platformers and open world/sandbox games. Favourites include Assassins Creed Black Flag, Rougue and Brotherhood, Rebooted Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption, Arkham City and Mass Effect to name a few. Playing Last Guardian and loving it.
I also collect geeky items like Pop Vinyls of various favourite characters.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I like reading though I don't do it enough and I like collecting books of various awesome editions. I like video games but usually stick to single player story campaigns unless I'm at a friends place. Right now I'm fascinated by classical myths so I'm delving into Irish, Norse and Ancient Greek folklore. But I typically read a wide variety including classical literature YA Adult children's fantasy and sci fi.
I like playing 3D platformers and open world/sandbox games. Favourites include Assassins Creed Black Flag, Rougue and Brotherhood, Rebooted Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption, Arkham City and Mass Effect to name a few. Playing Last Guardian and loving it.
You and I have a lot in common. :) Love your games list.
Also still have a special place for a bunch of YA fantasy and sci-fi. Animorphs, Pern, Dealing with Dragons.

Lorgar-Aurelian

I am the biggest nerd here (and I will fight you about it!)

I do 3D modeling and 2d digital graphics, I play Dungeons and Dragons (with about as many minis as your average 40k player), I play a very wide variety of video games, I'm an animal geek and have enough animal trivia (especially birds, non-avian dinosaurs and reptiles) to fill a book, I read a lot (sci-fi, fantasy, historical fiction, non-fiction science reference and pop science), and I love to hike and racewalk. :)
I work at a wellness clinic doing PT and massage, and teach anatomy and physiology in their programs.

I also don't sleep much.
Ooo share a random animal fact! (sits down with popcorn anticipating something marvelous.)
Oh and do you have a favorite book or favorite books?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ooo share a random animal fact! (sits down with popcorn anticipating something marvelous.)
Hmmm. How about some rattlesnake trivia? Rattlesnakes can inject venom from one, both or neither fang. Venomless bites are called dry bites and are usually warning strikes when they don't want to waste venom on you. A quarter or more rattlesnake bites are dry bites. Rattlesnakes are ovoviviparous which means they do not lay eggs, but give live birth. And are one of the only venomous snakes to sometimes den in families. Whether or not they protect their offspring is debated, but the young hang around the parents for some time.

Oh and do you have a favorite book or favorite books?
Hard to say. I have a lot that I like. I'm reading three books right now. Book three of the Expanse series, Cibola Burns. Hidden Figures (which the movie was based on.) And re-reading book three of Game of Thrones.
Love the Dresden Files series, the Dragonriders of Pern series, a lot of books written by Scalzi (Lock In is my fav), a lot of books by Stephenson and Gibson. There's also some great non-fiction science and pop science books I like. Such as this one Amazon.com: Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body (9780142004821): Armand Marie Leroi: Books (though some terminology is out of date now) and some illustrated books both children's stories (The Katurran Odyssey: David Michael Wieger, Terryl Whitlatch: 9780743225007: Amazon.com: Books) and scientific (Amazon.com: Feathered Dinosaurs: The Origin of Birds (9780195372663): John Long, Peter Schouten: Books).

Lorgar-Aurelian

Are there any stories from Greek, irish or north myths you'd like to share? I'd love to hear one that you really enjoy.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Hmmm. How about some rattlesnake trivia? Rattlesnakes can inject venom from one, both or neither fang. Venomless bites are called dry bites and are usually warning strikes when they don't want to waste venom on you. A quarter or more rattlesnake bites are dry bites. Rattlesnakes are ovoviviparous which means they do not lay eggs, but give live birth. And are one of the only venomous snakes to sometimes den in families. Whether or not they protect their offspring is debated, but the young hang around the parents for some time.

Hard to say. I have a lot that I like. I'm reading three books right now. Book three of the Expanse series, Cibola Burns. Hidden Figures (which the movie was based on.) And re-reading book three of Game of Thrones.
Love the Dresden Files series, the Dragonriders of Pern series, a lot of books written by Scalzi (Lock In is my fav), a lot of books by Stephenson and Gibson. There's also some great non-fiction science and pop science books I like. Such as this one Amazon.com: Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body (9780142004821): Armand Marie Leroi: Books (though some terminology is out of date now) and some illustrated books both children's stories (The Katurran Odyssey: David Michael Wieger, Terryl Whitlatch: 9780743225007: Amazon.com: Books) and scientific (Amazon.com: Feathered Dinosaurs: The Origin of Birds (9780195372663): John Long, Peter Schouten: Books).
Neat! I rather like rattlesnakes, except when they are near my horses and need to be shooed away. I try not to harm them if I can.

Interesting selection of books here. I'm not sure if I am the only one but I've just never been a big fan of game of thrones. I could just never get into it like I got into Dune, Warhammer 40k or starship troopers. Clearly there are not enough weird spiritual movements, chainswords, or power armor. That is just me though.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Neat! I rather like rattlesnakes, except when they are near my horses and need to be shooed away. I try not to harm them if I can.

Interesting selection of books here. I'm not sure if I am the only one but I've just never been a big fan of game of thrones. I could just never get into it like I got into Dune, Warhammer 40k or starship troopers. Clearly there are not enough weird spiritual movements, chainswords, or power armor. That is just me though.
I rather like Dune and (some) Warhammer novels too. Not so much Starship Troopers (I was actually more of a fan of the film than the book. I like my dystopias.) GoT falls into the same vein as Dune to me, in that it's heavily criticizing the idea of charismatic leaders or an epic with a clear morally upright protagonist. The religion is pretty standard fantasy (the one monotheistic religion, the polytheistic religion, and the..sort of hybrid between the two [all gods are faces of one god]) but it does a lot of interesting things with prophecy. Some prophecies are true, some are not, and some when properly extrapolated by fans had some great satisfaction of predicting later events.
I wonder if you might like Expanse. As Expanse is Game of Thrones except...with power armor (though not until the second book.) Lots of politics, lots of characters, and lots of subterfuge.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
and ride my horses from time to time

What kind of horses? My avatar picture is a picture of my Icelandic horse, Eyrarros fra Gufudal-Fremri.

I'm a "gamer" as well, but none of these new-fangled electronic games, I'm addicted to the ancient Asian game of Go.

@ADigitalArtist - I don't know if I can just grant you "biggest nerd" status. I author and edit books on computer programming and list applied cognitive science as one of my hobbies... ball's in your court. ;)