• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ho hum, another day, another mass shooting in the US.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I wonder what the variable could possibly be? Violent video games? No, other countries have those too without the gun violence, so can't be that. Lack of mandatory prayer in schools maybe? No, other countries don't have mandatory prayer in schools either, so it's not that. What could it possibly be? Truly a mystery:shrug:

I knew what it was.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I wonder what the variable could possibly be? Violent video games? No, other countries have those too without the gun violence, so can't be that. Lack of mandatory prayer in schools maybe? No, other countries don't have mandatory prayer in schools either, so it's not that. What could it possibly be? Truly a mystery:shrug:
The snark isn't making you happier and it isn't advancing the conversation.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Mental health? No, can't be, other developed nations have similar mental health statistics per capita, but not the gun crime. It really is baffling. What could possibly account for America's wildly disproportionate gun crime rates?

Mental health is an odd way of describing an orange-haired man.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Where, pray, did I mischarecterise anything?

The title of the thread.

A drug raid gone bad isn't a mass shooting.

This will help.

Mass shooting - Wikipedia

"A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of predominantly firearm violence. There is no widely accepted definition of the term “mass shooting”, although it is normally understood to exclude mass killings as a result of terrorist, authorised law-enforcement, or authorised military actions."

This would fall under authorized law-enforcement as it was a legal drug raid. The cops knew what they was getting into and the dangers present. Drug dealers typically have fully automatic and other already illegal assault weapons in their possession because they cannot legally obtain the less deadly restricted weapons citizens can purchase legally.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Didn't two people shoot at the police just recently in Australia too?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
?? How do you equate that with what I said, the police responded to narcotics activity and were shot.
It seems necessary to deflect from the issue you broached, ie,
that one way to reduce gun violence is to end the war on drugs.
When the goal is to demonize guns, other solutions become invisible.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
The snark isn't making you happier and it isn't advancing the conversation.
Nothing advances the conversation. 40, 000 Americans will die from gun shots this year, with many more injured by them, and nothing will be done to meaningfully change anything, while the gun fetishists stick their fingers in their ears and pretend there's nothing wrong. If that doesn't make you snarky, what will? Personally, I think willful indifference and obtuseness regarding 40,000 dead is a pretty good excuse for snark, personally. Rather than get offended by my snark, maybe get offended by the mass carnage and those who enable it? Just an idea.

But by all means, if you have any suggestions that you think are more constructive for "advancing the conversation", please make them.

Last edited:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Nothing advances the conversation. 40, 000 Americans will die from gun shots this year, with many more injured by them, and nothing will be done to meaningfully change anything, while the gun fetishists stick their fingers in their ears and pretend there's nothing wrong. If that doesn't make you snarky, what will? Personally, I think willful indifference and obtuseness regarding 40,000 dead is a pretty good excuse for snark, personally. Rather than get offended by my snark, maybe get offended by the mass carnage and those who enable it? Just an idea.

But by all means, if you have any suggestions that you think are more constructive for "advancing the conversation", please make them.

And the drug trade continues and criminals will still break the law no matter what laws are in place and will still get and use firearms and military hardware illegally no matter where they are in the world and no matter how strict the gun laws are.
You are ignoring facts to make a failed argument

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You left out the part about how nobody's gun shot wounds were life threatening.

Anybody who wants to take my gun away from me is going to have to do this over my dead body.

Here's another movie shootout scene with Emilio Estevez, but he was unarmed in this one:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Nothing advances the conversation.
Is it really nothing? Or is it that just asserting demands for gun control legislation that fails to advance the conversation. I am sure that you wholeheartedly believe that gun control will act as a great panacea, reducing the death rate dramatically. Others do not believe this and they do believe there are costs to your remedy.
40, 000 Americans will die from gun shots this year, with many more injured by them, and nothing will be done to meaningfully change anything, while the gun fetishists stick their fingers in their ears and pretend there's nothing wrong.
Except that is not what is happening. That is more political rhetoric because some people do not agree with your specific remedy.
If that doesn't make you snarky, what will? Personally, I think willful indifference and obtuseness regarding 40,000 dead is a pretty good excuse for snark, personally. Rather than get offended by my snark, maybe get offended by the mass carnage and those who enable it? Just an idea.
Those who enable it by shifting the conversation to the divisive gun control issues instead of making meaningful reforms?
Sure let's start with poverty. Let's then move to education. Let's spend a little time on violence in our culture, and after we have done that, and only thereafter, then let us move to discuss limiting the rights of citizens without specific reason.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
There are reasons why many legal gun owners don't want to budge, here is a few.
- There are already numerous laws on the books.
-High profile anti-gun legislators have said the ultimate goal is confiscation. (Pelosi, Clinton, Obama, to name a few)
- There will always be an excuse to enact more laws.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure let's start with poverty. Let's then move to education. Let's spend a little time on violence in our culture, and after we have done that, and only thereafter, then let us move to discuss limiting the rights of citizens without specific reason.

We can walk and chew gum, I would hope.

One of the lowest hanging fruit when it comes to violence in our culture is gun violence. The problem is that it has become so pervasive that we have been convinced it is inevitable and unchangeable.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Is it really nothing? Or is it that just asserting demands for gun control legislation that fails to advance the conversation. I am sure that you wholeheartedly believe that gun control will act as a great panacea, reducing the death rate dramatically. Others do not believe this and they do believe there are costs to your remedy.

Except that is not what is happening. That is more political rhetoric because some people do not agree with your specific remedy.

Those who enable it by shifting the conversation to the divisive gun control issues instead of making meaningful reforms?

40. Thousand. Deaths. And you want to argue semantics :rolleyes:

Stanyon

WWMRD?
40. Thousand. Deaths. And you want to argue semantics :rolleyes:

~ half are suicides (which make up half of all suicides) Japan has very strict gun control and has a suicide problem so no, more regulations will not stop suicides.

Of the ~20,000 that are left, police chiefs around the nation approximate that %60 is drug or gang related, which leaves you with less than 10,000 deaths of various types.

you also avoided my direct question.