• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hitchen's Challange

DNB

Christian
So a deity with limitless knowledge and power that is purportedly perfectly moral not only thought slavery was perfectly moral, and advocated it specifically in the bible, it then changed its mind?

:rolleyes:
Never changed his mind, silly, it was planned all along, obviously, once the initial lesson was taught,.

DNB

Christian
Oh good grief man, you've gone from claiming scientific evidence for the global flood myth, to waving away basic facts that demonstrate it did not happen, based on nothing but closed minded appeals to faith.

How many species do you imagine Noah and his family would need to collect? How much food? All stored for almost a year on a wooden boat, made entirely by hand. It's time to stop making vague claims for wisdom, and actually look at obvious facts. Like the fact there simply isn't enough water in the earth's atmosphere to cause such a flood, if there was where did it go, what happened to fresh water creatures exactly? How many species of plant and fauna would be irrevocably destroyed in such a flood, and on and on it goes. Most importantly the geological record shows no evidence of a global flood.
Noah lived to about 900+ years, and was 600 at the time of the flood - much time to build a formidable expedition.. The majority of water came from the core of the earth itself.

Audie

Veteran Member

Thats pretty sill. You must not have read the articles.
First author says theres no physical
evidence for a world wide flood,
and the next two citations are just about the
long and well known fact that sea water
re entered the black sea after the ice age.

No hundred years of boat building needed for
that.

Feeble try there.

Audie

Veteran Member
Noah lived to about 900+ years, and was 600 at the time of the flood - much time to build a formidable expedition.. The majority of water came from the core of the earth itself.

This is like a worldwide flood you talking about? Around 6000 or fewer years ago?⁹

The core of the earth? Surely you dont mean core

DNB

Christian
This is like a worldwide flood you talking about? Around 6000 or fewer years ago?⁹

The core of the earth? Surely you dont mean core
Yes, around 6k years ago. And, yes, not specifically the core, but subterranean - as opposed to solely from the atmosphere - but, if God wanted, the atmosphere would have been sufficient.

DNB

Christian
Thats pretty sill. You must not have read the articles.
First author says theres no physical
evidence for a world wide flood,
and the next two citations are just about the
long and well known fact that sea water
re entered the black sea after the ice age.

No hundred years of boat building needed for
that.

Feeble try there.
First author, right after his remark about 'no evidence': 'So what of Noah’s flood? Is there any real scientific support for it? There is actually.'

Your remark: 'no hundred years of boat building required for that', that's correct, just one global flood will do it.

Audie

Veteran Member
First author, right after his remark about 'no evidence': 'So what of Noah’s flood? Is there any real scientific support for it? There is actually.'

Your remark: 'no hundred years of boat building required for that', that's correct, just one global flood will do it.

Local flooding such as the authors describe
is well documented and not in question.
You didnt need to mention news of the well
known, tho it is a good early sign of zero
evidence of a noah- flood.

The evidence only suggests a possible
source for a story, not for any of the details
besides " water".

None said there is evidence of a world wide flood, which there is not.

Your too- ready acceptance of such as Black
Sea flooding as Noah evidence is noted.

Any reason to categorically reject well
researched proof that there was no
world wide flood?
Do you know anything about such proof?

lukethethird

unknown member

besides " water".

world wide flood?
It's really tuff to use reason with someone that uses faith but I guess we have found that out, and that we learn more about people than we ever do about the subject of debate.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
It's called perception and insight. The capability to read between the lines, and draw accurate inductions. Faith is tantamount to wisdom, and antithetical to credulity.
Atheists lack faith, because they lack wisdom.
Faith is the excuse people give for believing something when they don't have evidence. Otherwise, they'd give the evidence.

Faith is not wisdom. Wisdom is wisdom.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Like I said in another post, certain scientists have concluded that there was a global flood. So, now we have academia against academia. Stale mate, so what's left - like I said, one must understand the circumstances around the initiation of the flood, and the warnings that preceded it.?

Yes, of course, God would be extremely pleased with my espousal of God as a sovereign, transcendent and holy entity, that abhors wickedness, and who, therefore, exacts judgment on those who cause evil and show contempt for Him and His creation.
No they haven't.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Ok, you're not following, I guess?
According to the Bible, the Mosaic Law was abrogated with the inception of the advent of Christ.
Oh, okay so no more Ten Commandments either.
That doesn't make much sense.
So God used to think slavery was cool, then changed his mind and forgot to tell everyone? I can't seem to find that part in the Bible.

Plus there's that whole thing Jesus supposedly said ...
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Matthew 5:18

Also, I guess you forgot that you said this:
"Therefore, the Bible is as pertinent and valid as it was from 3,500 years ago, as it is today."

Reactions: ppp

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What evidence do we have that human beings used to live to be 900 years old?
That's a pretty extraordinary claim.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Name an ethical statement made or action performed by a person of faith that could not have been made or performed by a nonbeliever.

Name a wicked statement made or action performed precisely because of religious faith?
Doesn’t this mistakenly assume that ethics are the purview of religion?

DNB

Christian

besides " water".

world wide flood?
No Audie, this is the first time that i have been somewhat compelled to give it too much thought. I have seen in the past documentaries on it, by scientists affirming the flood's historical veracity. So, I do know that there are academics who support it's historicity. But, again, ask me to remember the names or the arguments, sorry, I can't.
But, the initial author to the link that i offered did say that this was a very controversial, and challenging subject for Theists - the proof is not axiomatic.

My point is Audie, that I don't necessarily consider the flood to be a secular event, but a supernatural one. Therefore, finding traces or evidence of such a circumstance that defies physics, is not the most effective way to determine all events of history. For example, if God created all things on earth within six days, then we don't expect to find the normal growth or infancy patterns that a regular birth or germination would demand. God created mature life, not fetuses or seeds. Thus, equally, with a global flood, the logistics would change in the case that it was precipitated by a miraculous event.

ppp

No Audie, this is the first time that i have been somewhat compelled to give it too much thought. I have seen in the past documentaries on it, by scientists affirming the flood's historical veracity. So, I do know that there are academics who support it's historicity. But, again, ask me to remember the names or the arguments, sorry, I can't.
But, the initial author to the link that i offered did say that this was a very controversial, and challenging subject for Theists - the proof is not axiomatic.

My point is Audie, that I don't necessarily consider the flood to be a secular event, but a supernatural one. Therefore, finding traces or evidence of such a circumstance that defies physics, is not the most effective way to determine all events of history. For example, if God created all things on earth within six days, then we don't expect to find the normal growth or infancy patterns that a regular birth or germination would demand. God created mature life, not fetuses or seeds. Thus, equally, with a global flood, the logistics would change in the case that it was precipitated by a miraculous event.
So God killed all the animals(including humans) that weren't on the ark and all the plant life, then put it all back for the dramatic effect? Seriously?

Audie

Veteran Member

You saw films. With scientists or people pretending to be.
Academics of whatever.

I majored in geology.
If a person has an interest in facts,
" flood" is absurd. There are so many ways besides the total lack of evidence that it
did happen, its like saying Australia isnt really there, or there are two Australias.

This is simply so as anyone can find for himself. Unless of course you restrict your
search to such as AIG.

If you want to go supernatural, then sure.
God did it then hid all the evidence.
Sent the water to Neptune to make a warning beacon against incoming rogue angels.

Its kinda silly.

However, if you take God seriously, youve a responsibility to, take Him seriously.

This flood story is a myth that makes God out to be a mass murderer.
Sponsoring the flood story is bearing false witness.
You- if as I said actually take God seriously- owe it to Him, and yourself to actually investigate. Make an effort. I guarantee
that i am right about no flood.

I will make no more comments, its up to you.

Last edited: