• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History of Philosophy

Dingbat

History of Philosophy

Here is an interesting podcast that follows the development of Western Philosophy and Islamic Philosophy. It is pretty interesting and I am quite enjoying the pre-Socratic philosopher podcasts. Figured I would share it with everyone.:D

Enai de a lukal

It is pretty interesting and I am quite enjoying the pre-Socratic philosopher podcasts. Figured I would share it with everyone.:D

Indeed; the pre-Platonic philosophers are extremely interesting- particularly the Eleatic monists and Heraclitus. Parmenedes' argument is extremely sophisticated (not to mention being posed in an awesome poem), and anticipates a very technical problem in analytic philosophy (that of negative existential statements), and the Zenonian paradoxes of motion are sort of mind-blowing (they remained essentially unanswered/unanswerable until the discovery of the calculus, and even then, they force us to admit some bizarre presuppositions about motion and change- for instance, that when we travel from one point to another, we traverse all of an infinite amount of intervals of that instance, and do so successively , but that there is no first or last interval, the traversal of which sees us begin or end our journey).

Dingbat

Indeed; the pre-Platonic philosophers are extremely interesting- particularly the Eleatic monists and Heraclitus. Parmenedes' argument is extremely sophisticated (not to mention being posed in an awesome poem), and anticipates a very technical problem in analytic philosophy (that of negative existential statements), and the Zenonian paradoxes of motion are sort of mind-blowing (they remained essentially unanswered/unanswerable until the discovery of the calculus, and even then, they force us to admit some bizarre presuppositions about motion and change- for instance, that when we travel from one point to another, we traverse all of an infinite amount of intervals of that instance, and do so successively , but that there is no first or last interval, the traversal of which sees us begin or end our journey).
Indeed, the I just listened to the Zenonian podcast last night and it was a real mindjob in regards to his paradoxes. Quite fascinating. Makes me feel like I missed out on quite a bit with my intro Philosophy course. I really enjoyed the course but I don't feel I pulled much out of it. It has been much more interesting to get back into it on my own without a need for test studying.

Enai de a lukal

Indeed, the I just listened to the Zenonian podcast last night and it was a real mindjob in regards to his paradoxes. Quite fascinating. Makes me feel like I missed out on quite a bit with my intro Philosophy course.
Yeah, you're not going to cover presocratic philosophy in an Intro course most of the time.

I really enjoyed the course but I don't feel I pulled much out of it. It has been much more interesting to get back into it on my own without a need for test studying.
I can see that; class is stressful. And its only work if someone else is making you do it, right? Anyways, if you're interested in Zeno, here's a discussion of a slightly different take on his dichotomy paradox from a while back (i.e. the first/last interval bit I mentioned)- Zeno's Dichotomy.