• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History of Norway settlements

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
After some research, i found that Norway has been populated for a very long time

Earliest peoples
Between 3000 and 2500 bce new immigrants settled in eastern Norway. They were farmers who grew grain and kept cows and sheep. The hunting-fishing population of the west coast was also gradually replaced by farmers, though hunting and fishing remained useful secondary means of livelihood.

The Viking Age
Fjord Norway has a rich historical heritage and many visible traces of the Vikings, who ruled the country for an era between AD 800 to 1066.

Historically, the Viking era began with the attack on Lindisfarne monastery in AD 793, and ended with the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066, when the English army successfully repelled the Viking invaders led by King Harald Hardråde.

In my own personal quest in finding my heritage, i got back to 1603AD and found that I am not very Norwegian at all if we look at where my ancestors come from. But I do have mostly Scandinavian heritage. But i do have Italian and Iranian blood in me too.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have a Celtic last name that is of Viking origin, plus I very much have the looks of my Swedish and Celtic heritage (blue eyes, blond hair). Ironically, my sister had (she passed away last December) the looks of our French and Amerindian heritage, so no one would guess that we're siblings by our appearance. Even our personalities were very different.

leov

After some research, i found that Norway has been populated for a very long time

Earliest peoples
Between 3000 and 2500 bce new immigrants settled in eastern Norway. They were farmers who grew grain and kept cows and sheep. The hunting-fishing population of the west coast was also gradually replaced by farmers, though hunting and fishing remained useful secondary means of livelihood.

The Viking Age
Fjord Norway has a rich historical heritage and many visible traces of the Vikings, who ruled the country for an era between AD 800 to 1066.

Historically, the Viking era began with the attack on Lindisfarne monastery in AD 793, and ended with the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066, wthehen the English army successfully repelled the Viking invaders led by King Harald Hardråde.

In my own personal quest in finding my heritage, i got back to 1603AD and found that I am not very Norwegian at all if we look at where my ancestors come from. But I do have mostly Scandinavian heritage. But i do have Italian and Iranian blood in me too.
I have read that Suomi were the earliest inhabitants of that region?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Swedish Vikings ruled Rus going south by Volga to Byzantium.
All the Scandinavian Vikings did fight countries around Scandinavia. especially Britain, France, Holland, Germany, and so on, But there was also trade of goods and food, So Vikings was not most fighters, they were traders

leov

All the Scandinavian Vikings did fight countries around Scandinavia. especially Britain, France, Holland, Germany, and so on, But there was also trade of goods and food, So Vikings was not most fighters, they were traders
I watched (Amazon Prime) this movie
, there is some history behind it.

metis

There is a lot of Soumi blood in Norwegian people too yes :) And a lot of Russian blood too.
You're probably aware of this but much of the Soumi "blood" has been genetically traced back to Asia. When we had "Finnfest" here in Michigan (U.P.), some of them showed up, and they tend to have quite distinct features as compared to most Scandinavians.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You're probably aware of this but much of the Soumi "blood" has been genetically traced back to Asia. When we had "Finnfest" here in Michigan (U.P.), some of them showed up, and they tend to have quite distinct features as compared to most Scandinavians.
Yes :) all human bloodlines tracks back to Asia :)

metis

Yes :) all human bloodlines tracks back to Asia :)
Except the earlier ones that trace back to the horn region of Africa. :D

The Suomi movement west to Scandinavia was actually quite late in the game, occurring after the last ice-age ended. Compared to the roughly 6 million years of human history, that's a mere drop in the bucket.

Pardon me as I have a shot of aquavit.

metis

Actually the evidence of Asia as the first civilization has started to come up in Archeology i have heard. So No we are not from Africa as they believed before
The oldest human fossils are still from Africa, and the fairly recent Chad find is of a man who has so many early human/early ape characteristics that anthropologists have had a difficult time classifying him as being one or the other, and he dates back to roughly 6 million years b.p. I have not seen an update recently on him, so I'll try and look it up later today when I have more time.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The oldest human fossils are still from Africa, and the fairly recent Chad find is of a man who has so many early human/early ape characteristics that anthropologists have had a difficult time classifying him as being one or the other, and he dates back to roughly 6 million years b.p. I have not seen an update recently on him, so I'll try and look it up later today when I have more time.
Personally i believe science got it the wrong way, that Asia was first populated. But i can't prove it

metis

Personally i believe science got it the wrong way, that Asia was first populated. But i can't prove it
Based on the evidence that we have thus far, it's highly unlikely that it could be Asia, but with these studies we well know that this could change with even just one earlier human fossil found elsewhere. See: Human evolution - Wikipedia

However, when you used the word "civilization", if you used in the anthropological context, you may well be correct as the earliest civilizations have been found in western Asia. A "civilization" involves two or more permanent settlements that have a unified sovereignty.