• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History of fixed term marriage (Sunni & Shia)

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hi,

I noticed that in one of the relevant Shia DIR threads a link is posted which states;

"All the Muslims are unanimous that during the early period of Islam fixed-time marriage was permissible and the Holy Prophet, during some of the journeys when the Muslims were away from their spouses and were feeling hardships, allowed them to contract fixed-time marriage"

The reason I have raised this discussion here, is because it is not a uniquely Shia question I wish to ask.

What I am wishing to know is do the Sunni Muslims (excluding Qur'an alone Muslims) agree to the above quoted statement?

Kind regards,
Dan

See link below;
Fixed-Time Marriage

Bismillah

Submit
First, if you are asking Sunni Muslims "I am wishing to know is do the Sunni Muslims" then this belongs in the Sunni DIR not the general Islam DIR.

Sunnis and Shi'ites agree that Mut'ah was originally lawful under the Shari'ah. Sunni Muslims believe that it was later prohibited until the Day of Judgement.

`Ali said to Ibn `Abbas: "Allah's Messenger forbade temporary marriage and the consumption of the meat of the domestic *****." The timing of this narration is placed by many versions at the time of the campaign of Khaybar (year 7), and by more versions at the time of the conquest of Mecca (year 8). Both are narrated from `Ali and from the Companion Sabura in Bukhari, Muslim, the Sunan, the Musnads, and the Muwatta'. Some of these authentic narrations state that the Prophet - Allah bless and greet him - said: "It [nikah] is prohibited until the Day of Judgment."

The above narration abrogates the narration of Ibn Mas`ud permitting mut`a. The proof to this was adduced by Imam Ahmad, that Ibn Mas`ud said the words: "when we were young men" (shabab) whereas at the time of Khaybar his age was over forty. This was mentioned by al-Bayhaqi in Ma`rifa al-Sunan wa al-Athar (10:175-176 #14098).

The ruling that mut`a is absolutely and unconditionally prohibited upon all until the Day of Judgment is the unanimous position of the Sunni scholars. They consider, in the light of the Prophet's prohibition, that the practice of mut`a consists in a form of fornication (zina), and Allah knows best.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Thanks Bismillah,
Although I am hoping to have the Sunnis confirm or dispute their agreement with this, I feel that the correct place to discuss is in Islam DIR because if hypothetically the Sunni were to refute this, the Shia may then explain the basis of their claim, for example they may say something along the lines of, "this is recorded in tafsir Ibn kathir page x) or whatever the case is.

Since no Sunni has yet responded, I confess to feeling annoyed that my subscription to the question was removed.

Bismillah

Submit
Although I am hoping to have the Sunnis confirm or dispute their agreement with this
The above was quoted authentic so most Sunnis would agree with me (the only reason I can think of them rejecting is out of a personal belief). I haven't heard of a Sunni theologian ever say otherwise and counteract the ahadith.

the Shia may then explain the basis of their claim
I disapprove of where this is posted because the Islam DIR is not subject to debating. As you just said, this post has a high likelihood of attracting debate because of differing theological positions between Sunni and Shi'ite. And for the reason that you are asking Sunnis so naturally it would fall under the Sunni DIR.

Wasp

There are many hadiths to prove that to be true. But it is no longer allowed.

Quranists aren't Sunni Muslims in case that's what the OP suggested.