• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History buffs - assist please:

Grandliseur

I had a conversation with someone about the sun now going into a 50 year 'cold' cycle. I was informed that last time this happened, the intense civil, local, wars among the Japanese war lords happened because of the food shortages this causes. This is what shaped the country into what it is today according to that information.

Did this kind of thing (food shortage) also happen in Europe? Was this what shaped Europe, France, Germany?
(Solar cycle - Wikipedia
The period between 1645 and 1715, a time of few sunspots,[3] is known as the Maunder minimum, after Edward Walter Maunder, who extensively researched this peculiar event, first noted by Gustav Spörer.)

i can see that the years mentioned don't kind of fit. Still, I am asking the question. If you have information, or an idea, for what shaped Europe during this time, please share.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You need more in the line of climatology not history.

I believe the fifty year cycle is real, but greatly moderated by global warming. If it were not for the global warming since the Industrial Revolution we would be in a more significant global cooling trend apparent in the larger cycle, but that cooling trend is not happening. The 'Little Ice Age' would have been a part of this cooling trend. In the forties and fifties it was feared that the 50 year cycle would produce a significant cooling trend leading to another 'Little Ice Age,' or even a greater Ice Age,' but of course that never happened.

We will likely experience a cooling period over lapping the long term global warming, but as long as the CO2 content continues to increase, it to shall pass as in the 1950s.

You can tell Chicken Little the sky is not falling, and ice glaciers are not going to push New York into the ocean.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

You can tell Chicken Little the sky is not falling, and ice glaciers are not going to push New York into the ocean.
No, but if it can be shown that there is war from food-shortages due to this sun-cold-episode in the past, not just in Japan, but in the west also, it might help predict what will happen during such times.

Did this kind of thing (food shortage) also happen in Europe? Was this what shaped Europe, France, Germany?
(Solar cycle - Wikipedia
The period between 1645 and 1715, a time of few sunspots,[3] is known as the Maunder minimum, after Edward Walter Maunder, who extensively researched this peculiar event, first noted by Gustav Spörer.)

i can see that the years mentioned don't kind of fit. Still, I am asking the question. If you have information, or an idea, for what shaped Europe during this time, please share.

That was right at the end of the 30 Years War. Treaty of Westphalia was 1648 and had a major impact on shaping Europe. Would be a push to link that to the cycles of the sun though.

Does seem like there were several European famines late 17th C caused by excessively cold winters though.

List of famines - Wikipedia

But you don't see a connection between these famines and the wars and political adjustments?!

In this case I don't know.

The end of the 30 years war was a time of significant readjustments anyway, and these dragged on over time rather than being fully concluded in 1648. This war was about wide ranging political and religious issues across Europe though.

I'm not aware of any significant issues that resulted from famines, but I'm not going to claim any particular expertise on this.

On a related note, I have seen some arguments that the Arab Spring coincided with significant increases in food prices.

Grandliseur

In this case I don't know.

The end of the 30 years war was a time of significant readjustments anyway, and these dragged on over time rather than being fully concluded in 1648. This war was about wide ranging political and religious issues across Europe though.

I'm not aware of any significant issues that resulted from famines, but I'm not going to claim any particular expertise on this.

On a related note, I have seen some arguments that the Arab Spring coincided with significant increases in food prices.
Thank you.

It is kind of interesting to check to see what influence our earth tides of plenty and famine has on our human society.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No, but if it can be shown that there is war from food-shortages due to this sun-cold-episode in the past, not just in Japan, but in the west also, it might help predict what will happen during such times.
The Little Ice was a real climatic event that greatly reduced the crops in Europe, Japan, and world wide causing wide spread famine. and likely contributed to or even caused the wars and the French Revolution.

The current view in science indicates it was sort of a 'perfect storm' of several causes. First there were four catastrophic volcanic eruptions in this period. This is compounded by evidence of a related change in ocean currents that greatly reduced the warm water currents the move north like the Gulf Stream and the Japan warm current. Also related to the sun cycle there was the fifty year period of no sun spots related to this, but not the primary cause.

I will check for references, but I believe this is how science considers the cause.

Grandliseur

and world wide causing wide spread famine. and likely contributed to or even caused the wars and the French Revolution.
Thank you. It is noteworthy of us to study such relationships of the past. If so much smaller populations felt the need for going to war over food shortages how must more would large countries today with dwindling resources and food want to. Even now, the Chinese are doing this in the seas to give them mineral rights and fishing rights of other countries. Fortunately, war has not yet begun, but that is perhaps a matter of time.

I thought the question interesting which is why I asked about it.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Thank you. It is noteworthy of us to study such relationships of the past. If so much smaller populations felt the need for going to war over food shortages how must more would large countries today with dwindling resources and food want to. Even now, the Chinese are doing this in the seas to give them mineral rights and fishing rights of other countries. Fortunately, war has not yet begun, but that is perhaps a matter of time.

I thought the question interesting which is why I asked about it.

Now, the question if some sort of combination of effects can cause a 'perfect storm' like the Little Ice Age in the future the answer is yes. Population growth, our ability to produce food is pushing the global limit, and global drying around the Mesic Zone, increased droughts, global warming, and related deserts that are encroaching on the prime agricultural regions. In recent history technology has been able to keep pace with over all demand, but there may be an end game that if other factors pile on there may be a devastating 'perfect storm.'

At some point the straw may break the camels back.

Grandliseur

Now, the question if some sort of combination of effects can cause a 'perfect storm' like the Little Ice Age in the future the answer is yes. Population growth, our ability to produce food is pushing the global limit, and global drying around the Mesic Zone, increased droughts, global warming, and related deserts that are encroaching on the prime agricultural regions. In recent history technology has been able to keep pace with over all demand, but there may be an end game that if other factors pile on there may be a devastating 'perfect storm.'

At some point the straw may break the camels back.
Even just a few bad seasons would cause the global available food to be insufficient.
I just became interested in if there were historical precedents for it.

Thank you.