• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical books

Minor-Royal

Hedonist
There is a block of books in the Bible called the Historical books by some, ie Kings, Chronichles etc

Now this is not stab at the Bible and you will find as you get to know me that I truely do not give two hoots what anyone believes, its up to you, I am not aiming to discredit the Bible, but I wish to ask if there are any historical mistakes in these books.
The authors of them would have had limited resources save public and oral records to write these histories so 100 percent accuracy would be difficult.
However.
For anyone who thinks not one word of the Bible can ever be out of place id say its best to avoid this thread, however if I want to know about possible problems with my car I ask a mechanic, so for this im asking Christians, Jews and historians, are there any faults with the historical accounts in these books.

Many thanks for taking part.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The bible was written by the ideological lens of the priesthood and scribes of ancient Judah.
My archaeology department in Israel is from the school that reads the bible with critical eyes. at some cases we can only speculate on plenty of the content of 'Kings', for example king David and Solomon, the archaeological evidence is simply lacking to build a historic frame for such figures.

Minor-Royal

Hedonist
The bible was written by the ideological lens of the priesthood and scribes of ancient Judah.
My archaeology department in Israel is from the school that reads the bible with critical eyes. at some cases we can only speculate on plenty of the content of 'Kings', for example king David and Solomon, the archaeological evidence is simply lacking to build a historic frame for such figures.

Ah this is the kind of thing im getting at, I mean I can switch the question and say what is written in these books that we now know is true.

Are there any names in these books that we have a good all round knowledge of and the times they were supposed to live, its kind of any snippets of true history im after.

I envy your surroundings, a department of archaeology in the very cradle of civilisation.