• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical Accuracy of the Bible

rojse

RF Addict
In several recent posts that I have read, I have heard a member state that he believes several parts of the Bible are not completely accurate in a historical sense, that several stories were parables designed to illustrate biblical concepts.

Do you believe that the bible is completely accurate in a historical sense?

If not, which parts are not accurate, and does this matter?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I don't get the impression it was intended as a history book. And most of its pertinent content can't be verified.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
What makes something historically accurate? Would it make a difference if there were proof (and what is proof but the validity an individual or group assigns evidence?) that the events in the Bible took place, even if the allegory stands on its own?

rojse

RF Addict
What makes something historically accurate?

To me, independent confirmation. To someone else posting in this thread, I would not know.

Would it make a difference if there were proof (and what is proof but the validity an individual or group assigns evidence?) that the events in the Bible took place, even if the allegory stands on its own?

I think that it would for many people, but that is not why I created the post. I wanted to know if various peoples believed that the Bible is completely accurate in terms of actual history, whether they come to this conclusion based on their faith or their evidence. If they say it is not accurate merely in terms of historical accuracy, how is it inaccurate?

Sorry for not making this clear previously.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
If not, which parts are not accurate, and does this matter?
Much of the bible is historically accurate and over the last 50 years even more has been corroborated through archaeology.

Regarding the points that aren't accurate, it would be helpful to have specific examples in question.

rojse

RF Addict
I wish to know whether other people believe that the Bible is historically accurate or not. I am not very knowledgeable about this, so I posted this so I could learn what others think.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I wish to know whether other people believe that the Bible is historically accurate or not. I am not very knowledgeable about this, so I posted this so I could learn what others think.
Um, I think I answered the question. :confused: Most people don't view the bible as either completely accurate or completely inaccurate historically. Some of the bible is accurate, some of it can't be proven to be accurate, some of it is in question.

If you did an online search I'm sure you could come up with some of the more recent discoveries that back up parts of the bible historically.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think that it would for many people, but that is not why I created the post. I wanted to know if various peoples believed that the Bible is completely accurate in terms of actual history, whether they come to this conclusion based on their faith or their evidence. If they say it is not accurate merely in terms of historical accuracy, how is it inaccurate?

Sorry for not making this clear previously.

I think there may be much of it that is. It wouldn't surprise me. I personally consider the Bible as an important piece of literature. :) (So, should I therefore treat the word as such and use Bible?)

Napoleon

If they say it is not accurate merely in terms of historical accuracy, how is it inaccurate?

There are several glaring inaccuracies. Some examples:

1. The siege of Jericho - The walls were destroyed in 1550 B.C.E. which is more than 300 years before the Exodus.

2. Quirinius - According to Luke, he was governor of Syria during the reign of Herod. Problem is that Herod died 9 years before Quirinius became governor of Syria.

3. The census - The closest Roman census to the year of the birth of Jesus was in 6 C.E. There's also no record of anyone ever having to travel to the city of their birth for any Roman census. In short, there's absolutely 0 historical evidence that the census described by Luke ever happened and the manner in which he claims it was conducted would have been unprecedented.

Vassal

Yes, the Bible is historically accurate.

If you're looking for independent confirmation of this, here is the Smithsonian Institutes's statement about the Bible:
The Smithsonian's department of Anthropology has received numerous inquiries in recent years regarding the historicity of the Bible in general, and the Biblical account of Noah's flood in particular. The following statement has been prepared to answer these questions:

Most Biblical scholars and Near Eastern archeologists and historians regard the Biblical story of the flood and Noah's Ark as a story handed down by oral tradition. This story has obvious relationships with the Mesopotamian account of a flood found in the Epic of Gilgamesh. The Biblical and Mesopotamian accounts differ in important details--The respective boats are of different sizes and shapes; the Biblical boat lands on Mount Ararat, the Mesopotamian boat lands on Mount Nisir--and both stories may go back to a still earlier common source which remains unknown to us today.

Many people ask if the Biblical flood actually took place, i.e. a flood which literally covered the entire earth and wiped out all living things except those which managed to board the ark? The occurrence of a flood story in both the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh, as well as in other folk traditions, does hint that there may have been enormous flooding of river valleys in a far distant time. However, thus far, after literally hundreds of archeological excavations at different times in the Near East, no all-encompassing flood stratum has ever been found. During the 1920's, Sir Leonard Woolley found a six foot...:thick flood layer at Ur with evidence of earlier occupations below the flood layer and later occupations above it. We now know that this flood stratum was deposited by a change in the course of the Euphrates River that meandered rather widely over the flood plain, much as the Mississippi River once did before flood control measures were taken. Other sites near Ur display no such evidence of a flood stratum. Another difficulty in verifying the Biblical story is that the identification of the particular mountain now known as Ararat goes back to no more than a few hundred years, and, in fact, we have no idea where an ancient Mount Ararat might have been located. In addition, there is no hard evidence of an early ship resting on top of any mountain anywhere in the Near East.

In short, it is impossible to verify the actual events recorded in the Biblical account of the flood. On the other hand, much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories. These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say that names of all peoples and places mentioned can be identified today, or that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated. There are conflicts between present archeological evidence and historical reports that may result from a lack of information on our part or from misunderstandings or mistakes by the ancient writers.

However, in the stories found in the Book of Genesis, Chapter 1-12, such as the flood story, the record is quite different: the time period under consideration is much more ancient. The factual bases of the stories are hidden from our view archaeologically. The stories remain a part of folk traditions and were included in the Bible to illustrate and explain theological ideas such as: Where did humans come from? If humans were created by God (who is perfect and good), how did evil among them come to be? If we are all related as children of God, why do we speak different languages? It must be remembered that the Bible is primarily a book of religion, a guide to faith. it was not a book of history, poetry, economics, or science. It contains all sorts of literary genre, which are used to teach about the relationship between God and mankind. Even biblical history is edited history: events were chosen to illustrate the central theme of the Bible. The Biblical writers did not pretend they were giving a complete history; instead they constantly refer us to other sources for full historical details, sources such as "The Annals of the Kings of Judah" (or Israel).

It is therefore not possible to try to "prove" the Bible by means of checking its historical or scientific accuracy. The only "proof" to which it can be subjected is this: Does it correctly portray the God-human relationship? In the best analysis, the Bible is a religious book, not an historical document.

For further reading on the Bible as history, the following books may be consulted:

The Archaeological Encyclopedia of the Holy Land. 3rd. ed. Edited by Abraham Negev. Prentice Hall, 1991.

Biblical Archaeology. Magazine published by the American School of Oriental Research. (Johns Hopkins University Press, 701 W. 40th St., Suite 275, Baltimore, MD 21211.)

Biblical Archaeology Review. Magazine published by the Biblical Archaeology Society, 3000 Connecticut Ave., N.W., Suite 300, Washington, D.C. 20008.

The Bible as History by Werner Keller. Bantam, 1974.

The Flood and Noah's Ark by Andre Parrot (Studies in Biblical Archeology No. l, The Philosophical Library, New York, 1955).

The Harper Atlas of the Bible, edited by James B. Pritchard. Science News Books, 1988.

The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. (Abingdon Press, 1976)

Super Universe

Defender of God

If you're looking for independent confirmation of this, here is the Smithsonian Institutes's statement about the Bible:

Historically accurate?

Lets see:
-Creation of the universe in seven days? What does the Smithsonian have to say about that one?
-Adam and Eve are first man and woman so their children must have had sex with each other. Huh? But isn't this against the rules presented in the bible?
-Talking serpents?
-Worldwide flood that completely covered the entire planet, where did all this water go?
-Burning bush that does not burn?
-Staffs turning into snakes?
-Immaculate conception?
-Water into wine?
-Walking on water?

A Harry Potter book must be historically accurate in your view as well.

Question everything and choose very carefully what you believe because only you will be responsible for it.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Are you saying it's completely, 100% historically accurate?

You're kind of contradicting the above statement by using the Smithsonian source. Voila....

It is therefore not possible to try to "prove" the Bible by means of checking its historical or scientific accuracy. The only "proof" to which it can be subjected is this: Does it correctly portray the God-human relationship? In the best analysis, the Bible is a religious book, not an historical document.

Smoke

Done here.

Did you actually read that statement? It's not exactly supporting your argument.

joeboonda

There are several glaring inaccuracies. Some examples:

1. The siege of Jericho - The walls were destroyed in 1550 B.C.E. which is more than 300 years before the Exodus.

2. Quirinius - According to Luke, he was governor of Syria during the reign of Herod. Problem is that Herod died 9 years before Quirinius became governor of Syria.

3. The census - The closest Roman census to the year of the birth of Jesus was in 6 C.E. There's also no record of anyone ever having to travel to the city of their birth for any Roman census. In short, there's absolutely 0 historical evidence that the census described by Luke ever happened and the manner in which he claims it was conducted would have been unprecedented.

That's funny, I have a book that refutes all 3 of those seeming inconsistencies quite completely. Truth is the Bible is an historicaly accurate book and Luke is considered a historian of the highest degree. But those who refuse to believe Jesus will try in any way to discredit His Word, they have been trying to for centuries, yet the Bible stands. People, you can trust the Bible and its message.