• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

His Dark Materials

Straw Dog

Has anyone else read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? Or currently watching the TV series for BBC and HBO?

It would seem to be fruitful story to discuss on a website such as this. It’s been called the atheist alternative to the Chronicles of Narnia and an inverted Paradise Lost.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the first book is very reactionary to the Narnia series but it does grow into its own thing. Takes a pretty significant zigzag second book.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I quite enjoyed the series but I’m due for a reread as I barely remember much

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was turned onto the story after watching The Golden Compass with my daughter. I read the trilogy and just completed the second episode of the series on HBO Max.

Admittedly, it's been years since I've read the trilogy, and my memory of The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass is a bit fuzzy. I'll likely reread it once I'm caught up on the series (which I now have lots of time to do).

Altfish

Veteran Member
Has anyone else read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? Or currently watching the TV series for BBC and HBO?

It would seem to be fruitful story to discuss on a website such as this. It’s been called the atheist alternative to the Chronicles of Narnia and an inverted Paradise Lost.
Enjoyed the books immensly; enjoyed the film of the first part but disappointed with the TV series.