• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiprocracy of the Catholic Church

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Victor, I some what understand their position. Marriage should be for life. If I got divorced just because I didn't want to be married anymore, that's not a good reason. My ex divorced me to be with someone else. She was living with him when we got divorced, so that in it's self should satisfy their concerns. It's the 'what kind of lies will she tell them' that concerns me most.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
jeffrey said:
Victor, I some what understand their position. Marriage should be for life. If I got divorced just because I didn't want to be married anymore, that's not a good reason. My ex divorced me to be with someone else. She was living with him when we got divorced, so that in it's self should satisfy their concerns. It's the 'what kind of lies will she tell them' that concerns me most.
Those are legit concerns Jeff and I see what you mean. But I don't think they are necessarily looking at your character thru your ex-wife. Not the best source I'm sure you'll agree.;)

michel said:
GodLovesUs,

There is a point which I think is worth noting. You say that the Church is 'covering up' some of their priest's misdeeds; perhaps so, although I would say that
a) The Church proffesses to spread 'Good' - so therefore, if there is any 'dirt', be sure someone will delight in bringing it up.

b)I don't think it is so much of cover ups as more a case of not wanting to wash their dirty linen out in public......and I can tell you, from having worked for a large Bank, that was just part of the day to day running of branches!
No doubt the catholic church had done great things, its just when I was in catholic school all they talk about is the goodness, now that I am grown up I find out there are bad things that were covered up by high ranking officials. Just check the scandal from the second high ranking official in St Patrick. To me its not a big deal to admit these bad instances, since it can be dismissed as works of satan since we are only humans. Even at this point there souls can be saved.

God bless

Quiddity

GodLovesUs said:
No doubt the catholic church had done great things, its just when I was in catholic school all they talk about is the goodness, now that I am grown up I find out there are bad things that were covered up by high ranking officials. Just check the scandal from the second high ranking official in St Patrick. To me its not a big deal to admit these bad instances, since it can be dismissed as works of satan since we are only humans. Even at this point there souls can be saved.

God bless
No that your grown up you should be able to distinguish the difference.

pdoel

Victor said:
So far I don't see why the Church won't recognize your marriage. Just be patient and understand that the Church has a very high view of marriage.
No see, this is where I kinda think the hypocracy comes into play a bit. I do realize that the Catholic Church has a very high view of marriage. However, that view can easily be changed as people see fit.

If it were a situation where NO divorces were allowed, NO annullments were allowed, and once you were married, that was it. I'd understand. If you Catholic Church wanted to turn away members who have been divorced, I would understand. If they denied allowing you to marry in their Church because you had been married before and they consider you still married because they don't believe in divorce, then I understand.

But like I said, it's quite simple to get a marriage annulled in the Catholic Church. Much easier than it is via the government. I know people who were married for over a decade, had children, drifted apart and were divorced. In the eyes of the government, they had to get a divorce. Not a valid reason for an annullment. But, they forked over $500, gave the Church an excuse, and the Church was happy to annull the marriage even though it lasted for quite some time and there were children involved.

Seems a bit strange to me, and not quite the "high view of marriage". And, if you take it a step further, shouldn't pre-marital sex be a huge no no for the Church? They will allow you to annull a marriage even though they know sex was involved, and then get remarried.

I dunno. Just seems like the Church wants to be considered as followly strictly by the rules on one hand, but will easily break those rules when they no longer fit someone's current needs.

Quiddity

pdoel said:
But like I said, it's quite simple to get a marriage annulled in the Catholic Church.
No, this is your perception, experience, opinion only. It has no weight in my eyes.

pdoel said:
Much easier than it is via the government. I know people who were married for over a decade, had children, drifted apart and were divorced. In the eyes of the government, they had to get a divorce. Not a valid reason for an annullment. But, they forked over $500, gave the Church an excuse, and the Church was happy to annull the marriage even though it lasted for quite some time and there were children involved.
Boggie monster stories exist in all sorts of denominations. I'd rather stay in the walls of the Church and fix things then complain from the outside.

pdoel said:
Seems a bit strange to me, and not quite the "high view of marriage". And, if you take it a step further, shouldn't pre-marital sex be a huge no no for the Church? They will allow you to annull a marriage even though they know sex was involved, and then get remarried.
So your basing the actions of some catholics and concluding Church teaching? Holy Chicken Little pdoel.

pdoel said:
I dunno. Just seems like the Church wants to be considered as followly strictly by the rules on one hand, but will easily break those rules when they no longer fit someone's current needs.
Once again, stop attaching it to the whole Church. Your talking about 1.2 billion catholics pdoel. Surely you don't think all leaders are you paint them? And even then how much of it is actually true? Perhaps you really want it to be true. :rolleyes:

Ulver

Victor said:
I'm not sure where you live but I hardly hear catholics saying to others that they are going to hell. I personally hear it more from Protestant denominations but I know better then to attach bad comments and actions to an entire church. Perhaps this is too difficult a task for you.

~Victor

I have to agree for the most part. I was brought up Catholic and even though I lost my faith in it, I certainly don't see it as a bad institution. Heck, I go to a Jesuit University.

The things that bother me the most in Chiristianity these days I sense all far too often in the Evangelical and Southern Baptist churches. Not every individual of those, but the institutions of them often support Ideas I find wrong or even dangerious.

Though I very much disagree with the Catholic Church's position on Condoms and Sexual protection.

pdoel

Victor said:
Once again, stop attaching it to the whole Church. Your talking about 1.2 billion catholics pdoel. Surely you don't think all leaders are you paint them? And even then how much of it is actually true? Perhaps you really want it to be true. :rolleyes:
I never attached it to the whole Church. You may want to actually read what I said. I stated from the beginning that this was what I have witnessed, and that I knew it didn't stand for all Catholics.

:rolleyes:

Quiddity

pdoel said:
I never attached it to the whole Church. You may want to actually read what I said. I stated from the beginning that this was what I have witnessed, and that I knew it didn't stand for all Catholics.

:rolleyes:
Wonderful pdoel, but your ad Hominem seemed more apparent with your redundant second post. So I guess your point is that some catholics sin, ok next.....

~Victor

Have anyone seen a priest admit they had done the wrong thing? Some evangelist like Jimmy Swaggart did? i do not know if it was just a marketing ploy or if it was sincere but he did say that he had sinned.

Again, I am not denying the goodness that comes out of the church but I have never seen a priest publically explain that even in the church people sinned.

Quiddity

GodLovesUs said:
Have anyone seen a priest admit they had done the wrong thing? Some evangelist like Jimmy Swaggart did? i do not know if it was just a marketing ploy or if it was sincere but he did say that he had sinned.

Again, I am not denying the goodness that comes out of the church but I have never seen a priest publically explain that even in the church people sinned.
For a person who is not denying for the upteenth time, you sure focus on the negatives alot. :rolleyes:

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
One thing that drew me to the Catholics is they seem more tolerant towards others' views and religions. They don't try and pressure you to join. They don't pressure you to tithe. Their church is open to everyone. They give more then any other church. Their missionaries but their lives on the line to help. They seem more 'real' in their compassion. This is as a whole. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Ulver

GodLovesUs said:

Yea and Pat Robertson apologizes every time he says something so radical that the whole world spits up their coffee.

Personally I don't believe in any of these televangelists. There's something about "blessed are the peacemakers" or something like that. I never heard of "blessed are those who divide people, spread hate, and verbally bash Arabs".

Master Vigil

GodLovesUs said:
Every priest I have met realizes that priests are men, imperfect, and sin. I have never met a priest who said the opposite. And I've met alot of priests.