• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hippies

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
And my favorite then and still today were and are the Moody Blues, and the themes of some of their albums was definitely hippie-like but not like the acid-rock "music".
Even i was not born in the hippie era my self, I had a mom who used to listen to everything from Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Doors, and when I was a kid in late 1970 and early 1980 this music was often at home, But nothing of the more wild things that were happening in the hippie era
My mom was born in 1950 so she was a real hippie in 1968 :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm a Hippie, and I've always managed to pay my bills.

There have been lots of idealistic Hippie-like counter-culture movements over the years. The '60s Hippies supplanted the Beats as a generalized counter-culture, but soon splintered into a dozen different groups that became difficult for the media to keep track of.
And there will always be those who stereotype hippies, much like many of the same people stereotype other groups.

Generally speaking, the movement was based more on love than on war, greed, and bigotry, but there's no doubt it also attracted some rather unsavory people who gave the movement a bad image, pretty much causing its demise.

Their legacy has not disappeared, which included the movement for healthier earth-loving food, more environmental concerns, more community emphasis over self-centeredness, etc. Of course, not all self-proclaimed hippies lived up to those standards but enough did to have an effect on society.

Now, in this era of rampant nationalism, religious and racial bigotry, materialism, dog-eat-dog greed, self-worship, etc., it's been pushed off to the edge. However, because of the "pendulum effect" in history, don't be surprised if it comes back, possibly pretty strongly.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Even i was not born in the hippie era my self, I had a mom who used to listen to everything from Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Doors, and when I was a kid in late 1970 and early 1980 this music was often at home, But nothing of the more wild things that were happening in the hippie era
My mom was born in 1950 so she was a real hippie in 1968 :)
My "hippie-ness" was pretty mild since I didn't do drugs nor practice "free love"-- maybe if I was better looking I might have.;)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My "hippie-ness" was pretty mild since I didn't do drugs nor practice "free love"-- maybe if I was better looking I might have.;)
Hehe i know my mom not was that kind of hippie who was with many :) she actually met her future husband (my dad) when she was only 15 years old so when she was 18 in 1968, she did not need to be with hippies who did drugs, rock&roll and sex

MNoBody

Death of Hippie Parade
sola-2014-06-30-11.jpg

This photo just showed up, taken Oct 6 1967 as the Death of Hippie Parade was winding its way through the Haight after starting out from Buena Vista Park and ending up with the coffin containing artifacts of the media-hyped “hippie” culture burned in ritual observance.

Even to today, the term “hippie” is disputed by many of those who were at the birth of the Haight-Ashbury counterculture that spread out in the coming months and years after the events of 1966 onwards.
On the other hand, there is a group in the Haight who lead walking tours of the neighborhood who are proud to call themselves hippies.
The Diggers’ objection to the word was that it was a media-contrived term, slightly derogatory in its etymology, and a handle that “straight” America could use to stigmatize a generation.
The purpose of the “Death of Hippie” event was to announce the birth of Free people instead.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That is so true.
You don't get better than Simon and Garfunkel.

They say that Sargent Pepper was unmatched for its variety of instruments, chords, and range of tones and volume. Today the music we have is practically monotone by comparison.

Flame

Beware
I can thank the hippy culture for spawning punk that bashed against it. :D The music was much better and fashions were much better.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You don't get better than Simon and Garfunkel.

They say that Sargent Pepper was unmatched for its variety of instruments, chords, and range of tones and volume. Today the music we have is practically monotone by comparison.

Seriously? Ever heard of Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, et al..?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Nice, but still nowhere near the musicological complexity or diversity of The Beatles.

Eye of the beholder, I guess. Although I never was a big Beatle fan, I am gaining more respect for their body of music now that I am playing gigs.