• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus should restart worshipping Indra

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think they are similar to Danvantari, the Ashwini Kumaras, Garuda, the Nandi and so forth. They are not Brahman but worshiped by many people for specific reasons such as personal health and welfare and give out results.

^ This. I equate Medicine Buddha with Dhanvantari. Manjushri is the consort of Saraswati in Tibetan Buddhism.

I wonder if Dasamahavidyas also belong to this category. I have not seen anyone describe the Mahavidyas as 'Shakti' or 'Parvathi' but they are worshiped specifically for certain spiritual goals guided by a trained astrologer/pundit.

There is a difference between Tārā of the Mahavidyas and Tārā of Buddhism. Though Tārā is said to have been "adopted" from Durga. There is a gayatri to Tārā, but I believe it invokes Her fierce form, which Green Tārā and White Tārā do not have; I'm not sure about the other forms of (Buddhist) Tārā:

Om Tārāyai cha vidhmahe
Mahograyai cha dhimahe
Tanno Devi prachodyat

I think it means "Let us meditate on Tārā. May that great and fierce form of Devi inspire and illumine our mind and understanding". If it invoke Tārā of the Mahavidyas I'm not sure I would want to use this without proper transmission or diksha.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Jai-ji,

I have seen some expert Jyotishis advice those with chronic ailments to recite everyday 108 recitations of Danvantari sloka on water for 48 days or 108 days and sip it each day for a cure.

I know not much about the Taras, but I agree with you, I have read that Taras and Mahavidyas are too fierce that without being given Diksha one should not attempt to do dhyana on them, especially for material purposes. For the very same reason (that they are being so powerful) that I feel why not I try propitiating them because as it turns out I have a long list of ailments (related to my maternal family) and other material wishes that I truly need to come by! :)

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I have Green Tārā, White Tārā, Manjushri, Kuan Yin, and Medicine Buddha on my altar. I also have tiny ones on my Buddhist altar. On rare occasions I say (well, I read because it's so long) the Praises to the Twenty-One Tārās. I recite the Uṣṇīṣa Vijaya Dhāraṇī and Nīlakaṇṭha Dhāranī, both in Sanskrit.

Jai-ji,

Usnisa Vijaya Dharani, Nilakantha Dharani in Sanskrit - I have never even heard of these names! May I ask you where you heard about them and what are their merits?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
They are both in Wikipedia, and it has references to other locations. The Nilakantha is Chenrezig's (Avalokiteshvara). It equates him to hasta gada, mukha narasimha & other references to Shiva & Vishnu. The ushnisha is said to remove sins and bring auspiciouness.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I just recently (actually still continuing) my 108-day recital of i) Hanuman Ashtottara ii) Rama namavali iii) Mantrarajapada stotra (thrice) for the benefit of my nephews, first one was looking for job, second one has chronic health problems, and I am very proud to say first one job a very, very good job suddenly in this time period and not only that, I heard the good news, the second one is showing some good improvements! I am very happy and proud right now :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm very happy that things are working out. :) I myself am trying to learn the Pushpam Mantra. Currently I recite it from a paper. I have a personal financial issue that I need help with... not to have it taken care of for me, but for the strength to get through it and realize I am being helped. I think I need to make a vow of some kind. One of the ladies at temple did 58 circumambulations when she was distressed over her son's school work. I think it was just one day she did this.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I have Green Tārā, White Tārā, Manjushri, Kuan Yin, and Medicine Buddha on my altar. I also have tiny ones on my Buddhist altar. On rare occasions I say (well, I read because it's so long) the Praises to the Twenty-One Tārās. I recite the Uṣṇīṣa Vijaya Dhāraṇī and Nīlakaṇṭha Dhāranī, both in Sanskrit.
Did you ever completed any sadhna related to Tara?? After completing my present sadhna I was planning to to start sadhna of Mavidhya Tara. So it will be helpful if you share your experiences. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to bring this over to the Buddhism DIR; I hope you don't mind. I think it's a good conversation to explore.

ThunderRD

To everyone,

Get back to the original topic of discussion. The thread is going some where else. I started this thread to discuss about restarting the worship of Indra.

ThunderRD

Vanakkam,

So...This is going to be a "mine's bigger" tread ...?
Again ? :/

Aum Namah Shivaya

Or who can lift his leg higher to **** higher up the tree.

Well let me tell both of you, I have started this thread just to express my views and to know your opinion on it. I am not trying to impose my views on you. In fact no one can do that. Because in faith everything is voluntary. It has to be accepted from heart. Compulsion does not have any place in faith.

And whats wrong if I propagate the worship of Indra. Every one has a right to propagate and spread his way of worship or faith. And this itself is the purpose of this forum: To express, propagate and spread his views and let others do debate on this.

Even in the past the Vaishnavites and Shaivites used to debate, with Vaishnavites propagating the worship of Vishnu and projecting him as Supreme God and the Shaivites doing the same with Shiva.

ThunderRD

Just ignore ThunderRD. He's got 7 posts, came in to stir up ****, and then he'll disappear. Not worth the bandwidth.

Well I have certainly not come here to stir anything and I am here to stay for long. By saying "Not worth the bandwidth " you have shown the hollowness of your intellect.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I am here to stay for long
Better introduce yourself then, for the people that don't know you already...From somewhere else.

Well let me tell both of you, I have started this thread just to express my views and to know your opinion on it.

You got opinions, questions you didn't answered and even some nice quotes to counter you arguments about how every other hindu are evil puranic worshippers of fake scriptures or whatever.
Showing intolerance toward others is different than expressing a view. You can express your views without being a jerk or condescending about your point is real and every other is fake.

And whats wrong if I propagate the worship of Indra. Every one has a right to propagate and spread his way of worship or faith.

Proletization is not a part of the Hindu religion.

And this itself is the purpose of this forum: To express, propagate and spread his views

Proselytizing is forbidden by the rules on this forum.

and let others do debate on this.

Many here asked questions and still waiting. Especially OmkaraJi I guess.

Even in the past the Vaishnavites and Shaivites used to debate, with Vaishnavites propagating the worship of Vishnu and projecting him as Supreme God and the Shaivites doing the same with Shiva.

A debate is different than a fight, or than playing "my god is better than yours lol" by plugging ears and sayin' "I would like to hear your opinion BUT I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG huehuehue".

There is difference between a debate and trying to shove it's own view in other's throat by force without listening. For example, usually a debate is materialized by :
- A question
- Expression of one's view

And more importantly:
- An open mind when considering other's answers.

HOW the question/debate is asked is very important. For exemple, there is a difference between:

- "Real Hindu should follow only RigVed and let go of fake puranic Gods to worship the one true Indra ! What do you think ? Oh wait you are all worshipping fake Gods you are wrong !"

- "Hello, I am [someguy] I would be very interested to know the opinion about the worship of Indra. It is an ancient Vedic God and [evolution of Indra in history, scriptures here if you want blah blahblah] many people are not worshipping it today, but I think Hindu should follow more RigVed and Indra should regain his place as important deity. What is your opinion on this ?"

So, which english translation of the RigVed you have been reading ?
No Rudra in your translation ? Kind of strange.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To everyone,

Get back to the original topic of discussion. The thread is going some where else. I started this thread to discuss about restarting the worship of Indra.

We've made a few response directly at this topic. I'm no scholar but I tend to go with Omkara's refutation of your points. Is there any other topic concerning Hindus you might be interested in?

ThunderRD

So, which english translation of the RigVed you have been reading ?
No Rudra in your translation ? Kind of strange.

I am reading Hindi translation not English one.

Yes Rudra is mentioned in Rigved. It is speculated that Rigvedic Rudra became the Puranic Shiva. But it is just a speculation. Shiva is not directly mentioned in Rigved unlike Indra. Neither is Shiva's weapon Trishul mentioned while Indra's weapon Vajra is mentioned innumerable times.

What I feel is that Shiva is a tribal God who got incorporated in our religion and was equated with Rigvedic Rudra. From his appearance Shiva seems like a tribal God. He has matted hair while no caste or community in our country has matted hair. Almost all Gods in our religion wear a crown but Shiva doesn't wear it. Only tribal people could imagine such an appearance of God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
s.

What I feel is that Shiva is a tribal God who got incorporated in our religion and was equated with Rigvedic Rudra. From his appearance Shiva seems like a tribal God. He has matted hair while no caste or community in our country has matted hair. Almost all Gods in our religion wear a crown but Shiva doesn't wear it. Only tribal people could imagine such an appearance of God.

I'm a Saivite, and I worship Siva primarily in the Nataraja and Lingam forms, so maybe those fit in. Wasn'ty it at the Indus Valley cities of Harappa and Mojendara where lingams were excavated?

ThunderRD

Umm... maybe because to me Krishna is the Supreme Brahman.

You consider Krishna to be Supreme Brahman !!! Krishna is not a separate or independent God. He his just an incarnation of Vishnu. And that incarnation has ended. Krishna died when a hunter shot an arrow at his feet. So he doesn't exist anymore. Vishnu had incarnated as Krishna for a particular purpose on Earth and once that purpose was served Vishnu ended his incarnation.

If you would have said that " to me Vishnu is the Supreme Brahman " then your statement would have carried some weight. But to consider Krishna as Supreme is absurd.