• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus: Reincarnation and Disabilities

Matsya

Matsya
So is it plausible that people with Physical disabilities and developmental disabilities are that way as the effect of bad karma in past lives?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sure. One's birth is affected by the individual's souls karma. Note ... affected, not determined ... there are many factors at play, including the karmas of all the loved ones.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So is it plausible that people with Physical disabilities and developmental disabilities are that way as the effect of bad karma in past lives?

Yes it's possible but there may also be other causes.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's a mistake to look at someone and say, "It's his karma, therefore no point in my helping." Well, it's also his karma that the helper has arrived. It's you. Karma is not fate. We can change it anytime we want. It takes one thing ... will.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a mistake to look at someone and say, "It's his karma, therefore no point in my helping." Well, it's also his karma that the helper has arrived. It's you. Karma is not fate. We can change it anytime we want. It takes one thing ... will.

This.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Yes it's possible but there may also be other causes.

I agree with this. To just assume that people with disabilities must have somehow been bad or evil in a past life seems to me somewhat disrespectful and judgmental. Suffice it to say, no one knows what their past life was all about, nor does it really matter. All that matters is that we are Here-Now and we must all make the best of it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with this. To just assume that people with disabilities must have somehow been bad or evil in a past life seems to me somewhat disrespectful and judgmental. Suffice it to say, no one knows what their past life was all about, nor does it really matter. All that matters is that we are Here-Now and we must all make the best of it.

Runewolf, I'll just also point out that this is the Same Faith Debates meaning restricted to Hindus :eek:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
My beliefs/faiths are very much the same as Hinduism. Does that not apply?

Not in this section, I'm afraid. The title states: Hindus, meaning it's restricted to persons who identify as Hindu. The forum is flexible enough that an OP can state more than one faith Ie/ Hindus and Wiccans or Hindus and Buddhists etc. but in this case the OP has only opened the debate to Hindus specifically.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Runewolf could just become Hindu... problem solved :D

The thing is I don't really identify with anything, not Hinduism, not even animism or shamanism. All is Brahman and in that there is no identifying for Brahman is that which cannot be identified as one thing or another, it can only be realized. You will not find Brahman in Hinduism. Brahman cannot be "found".

Sorry folks, I'll take my leave now.

---

Last edited:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Many people don't even remember last day events forget about past lives. Even you cannot remember all the days of your life (not even 5%) so does that mean that you were inactive during all those days and and those days won't affect your life?? We are constantly involved in Karma because karma is Dharma and it sustains the world. Every action gives it's results because if it don't the world will be inactive and finally doomed. No matter person remember previous birth or not, aatman when leaves the body takes the complete attributes of particular person and choose the womb accordingly. That is why people with near death experiences claim to see their entire life clearly, they even remember those incidence which are normally impossible to remember and occurred years ago.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
You will not find Brahman in Hinduism. Brahman cannot be "found".

But you will find Brahman in Hindu texts, since the inception of the concept is Hindu in origin. Unless ... unless you would like to [mis]appropriate the concept and U-Turn the heck out of it.

Satyamavejayanti

My personal view.

Karma is not working in the field of the physical alone as i understand it, it is to me combined with the theory of Atma, Prakriti and Dharmah. The effect part of Karma is not designed to justify the physical attributes of a persons body or mind. What we call Physical Disabilities or developmental problems is our way of judging a persons by their looks and abilities comparing to ours, to imply that these are "Bad or Good", because we think Karma is Bad or Good which is our perception and is not correct in my opinion. Karma is nether Bad nor Good and so the "disabilities" are not the effects of bad karma (because there is no fine line between good and bad), and since we don't really know the karma of a persons previous life what right do we have to say that this may have been the result of "bad" Karma.

I have not come across till yet in any texts (Hindu) that imply a persons mental and physical attributes are the effects of past life karma.

Remembering that Karma is of the Atman and not the Physical body, the Physical is the means for the Atma to conduct Karma, the limitations are the result of the Gunas born in Prakriti. And if our right/control is to the Karma alone in the present and not the effect/fruits of it, so a persons disabilities may basically be random Prakriti chance, in knowing/thinking like this it is our Dharmah to ensure equal treatment to individuals who may find it hard to do/comprehend things and activities that we may take for granted our self, as we can never be sure of the persons past life Karm.

In saying this, karma does have a influence on Prakriti, as we all do Karm in this universe/time, but i don't think it controls Prakriti, i would say the opposite that Prakriti does have more control and even more influence over our Karma.

Maya3

My personal view.

Karma is not working in the field of the physical alone as i understand it, it is to me combined with the theory of Atma, Prakriti and Dharmah. The effect part of Karma is not designed to justify the physical attributes of a persons body or mind. What we call Physical Disabilities or developmental problems is our way of judging a persons by their looks and abilities comparing to ours, to imply that these are "Bad or Good", because we think Karma is Bad or Good which is our perception and is not correct in my opinion. Karma is nether Bad nor Good and so the "disabilities" are not the effects of bad karma (because there is no fine line between good and bad), and since we don't really know the karma of a persons previous life what right do we have to say that this may have been the result of "bad" Karma.

I have not come across till yet in any texts (Hindu) that imply a persons mental and physical attributes are the effects of past life karma.

Remembering that Karma is of the Atman and not the Physical body, the Physical is the means for the Atma to conduct Karma, the limitations are the result of the Gunas born in Prakriti. And if our right/control is to the Karma alone in the present and not the effect/fruits of it, so a persons disabilities may basically be random Prakriti chance, in knowing/thinking like this it is our Dharmah to ensure equal treatment to individuals who may find it hard to do/comprehend things and activities that we may take for granted our self, as we can never be sure of the persons past life Karm.

In saying this, karma does have a influence on Prakriti, as we all do Karm in this universe/time, but i don't think it controls Prakriti, i would say the opposite that Prakriti does have more control and even more influence over our Karma.

I like this!

Maya