• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

{Hindus only} Getting over religious conditioning.

RebornHindu

Om Namah Shivaya
I think it can be hard to shake some of the past beliefs when transitioning and changing to Hinduism. I used to think about things similar as you, but when I became a Hindu, I told myself to drop those thoughts and start thinking in a new way. Learn as much as I can and take on new beliefs. I got over them quickly I think. Don't worry, you will be fine too. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We must block western influences that serve to bastardise our religion

I agree wholeheartedly with this part. The western ideas of
- hell
- needing a saviour
- overt proseltysing
- belief in a Saviour or prophet
- destruction of the planet for monetary gain
- unfair distribution of wealth
- killing of animals to fatten one's flesh
- a need to argue
- exclusivity
- hatred for others who disagree
- class discrimination against workers
- neo-advaita with no concern for morals

I stand against all this western influence.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
@Shantanu we have 3 gay bros. You can't win with all this masculinity in the air! Hmm i'm not sure if @DeviChaaya is a gal or a guy...

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
- hell
- needing a saviour
- overt proseltysing
- a need to argue
- exclusivity

I am standing against certain Eastern ideas as well including
1) Discrimination based on caste
2) Everything in India is good and everything elsewhere is bad by default
3) Whatever I believe, no matter how idiosyncratic and harmful, is valuable because I have to keep our tradition alive (and no need to read actual classical texts to figure them out, my strong gut feeling is good enough.)
4) I am infallible because I am a Hindu and my ancestors ruled the world before the Ice Age.

;) :p

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
- hell
- needing a saviour
- overt proseltysing
- a need to argue
- exclusivity

More like Near Eastern Ideas. Ideas from classical Greece were emphatically better than these.
Meat eating is more of a hangover from the Scadinavian and Germanic cultures because frankly, nothing much grew in those frigid climates over the long snow-bound winter's. Very expensive and harmful hangover.

What's wrong with a good argument? Tarkashastra and debate is a venerable tradition in Greece, India and China.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Aup, we have three gays in the Hindu DIR community in StarryNightshade, Jainarayan and Devichaaya, unless more come up in the meantime. When people worship a god or goddess they must define what that god or goddess represents. If a person has gay practices but worships Vishnu or Lakshmi that is like a bastardisation of Hinduism. That is why when I was brought up in India we were told what different gods and goddesses represent. I have no problem with gays worshipping Iravan or Yellama if everyone in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu accept that these gods do not care about the sexual behaviour of their followers. But it would be wrong for a rajasic god Vishnu who has Lakshmi as his consort to be worshipped as if he supports gayness.
I'm a transsexual and a queer (no, not "gay" - I'm beyond gayness, haha). But I don't care what you or anyone else may think about me. :) No one's interested in your ignorant right-wing ranting.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
@Shantanu we have 3 gay bros. You can't win with all this masculinity in the air! Hmm i'm not sure if @DeviChaaya is a gal or a guy...

Technically I'm a gal @Terese. Growing to accept myself and my own romantic/sexual (or disastrous lack thereof) leanings has actually been on of the hurdles towards unfurling spiritually that I am still a little stuck on! But with Mataji's help and a leeeeetle help from Krishna (he cross dresses, he takes the form of women, as Krishna he assumes many feminine qualities) has helped me to accept myself and move beyond it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Meat eating is more of a hangover from the Scadinavian and Germanic cultures because frankly, nothing much grew in those frigid climates over the long snow-bound winter's.
Sayak, it was always hunting and foraging - berries, roots, mushrooms. When the times got tough, they migrated to refuges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Glacial_Maximum_refugia: ".. were places where people survived during the last glacial period in the northern hemisphere around 20,000–25,000 years ago.)
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=i...X&ved=0ahUKEwjo9bHP1tjMAhXIro8KHU7zAPMQsAQIKw
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120508094358.htm,

375px-Europe20000ya.png

What did our ancestors eat?: "The diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils." http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/ancestors-eat-paleolithi-diet/
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/evolution-of-diet/

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sayak, it was always hunting and foraging - berries, roots, mushrooms. When the times got tough, they migrated to refuges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Glacial_Maximum_refugia: ".. were places where people survived during the last glacial period in the northern hemisphere around 20,000–25,000 years ago.)
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=i...X&ved=0ahUKEwjo9bHP1tjMAhXIro8KHU7zAPMQsAQIKw
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120508094358.htm,

375px-Europe20000ya.png
I was talking about the antiquity period (Celts, germanics, Vikings etc.) not the Ice Age. Meat forms a greater part of most human communities diet in colder climes, to the point that people in Iceland, Siberia and Greenland eat only meat. I was simply saying that Europeans eat more meat as they are people descended from Germany and Scandinavia. That is all. :)

Shantanu

Oh my Gods! Wow, just wow. :eek: I think you destroyed any shreds of credibility you may have had. Not to mention the hubris in pontificating on who can worship whom and speaking for Lord Vishnu and Maa Lakshmi.

I think I'll go cry now and collapse in a corner into a quivering whimpering mass of protoplasm.

crying-on-sofa1.gif

OK, I'm over it.
What do Vishnu and Lakshmi mean to you?

Shantanu

So basically you have created a new religion based on conversations you think you had had with Krishna and labelled it the true advaita Hinduism. Got it.
Satya-advaita is not a religion: it is the process for determining the truth with the absolute certainty that is ever going to be humanly possible.

It is easy to be populist and say that I have compassion and love for gays. The truth is that I have no such compassion and love having ascertained that humans with normal secondary sexual characteristics are not genetically predisposed towards homosexuality. If they had been gay due to a gay gene one would have said that it was God's fault that He had failed to construct the right human biology for there to be only the two sexes of males and females or that he had created homosexuals genetically so that we must love homosexuals and treat them with kindness. I have sympathy for hijras (hermaphrodites?) for I am led to believe they are physically deformed (on a genetical basis) and live the best they can with their limitations. So I believe that God loves them. We Hindus therfore have compassion for them and they are therefore thoroughly accommodated within Hindu society as they arrive at people's houses when there are births and bless the new child with their rituals which is considered very important so people give them money and do not refuse their work for people think that they are blessed by God living productively in society.

The fact also is that evolution will ensure that those who cannot reproduce (procreate) will die out. So why should human societies waste time and resources catering for them to live their meaningless lives that does not contribute to the welfare of the planet and its inhabitants into the future. We must channel our efforts to more productive purposes instead. So I say minorities do not matter. I am a minority in the United Kingdom and know for certain that I do not matter to the British for the manner in which the British Establishment persecuted me over 18 years (read my Blog to learn of these details https://shantanup.wordpress.com/). I have cried 'racists' over a long period and called them all kinds of horrid names but it made no difference. And I know that God loves me but does not hate them. So that is the reality we must all face. The majority community rule for their own welfare. That is how strong genes get passed on to future generations for the survival of the human species. I actually support that and think that it is a good thing even though I suffered because of it for we humans should work towards ensuring that there are still human beings on this planet in a 1000 years time based on our actions today.

So I have thought about homosexuality for a long time since I studied Pharmacology at University nearly 40 years ago and did a special study of neuroendocrinology and coutship rituals. I then had to put it to God to tell me what the truth was. And once that was clarified to me, I lost all sympathy for gay people and consider them to be enemies of God.

How is that for bigotry @DeviChaaya, and credibility @Jainarayan? Is this masculinity and am I winning @Terese. Come let me give you a hug back @Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
More like Near Eastern Ideas. Ideas from classical Greece were emphatically better than these.
Meat eating is more of a hangover from the Scadinavian and Germanic cultures because frankly, nothing much grew in those frigid climates over the long snow-bound winter's. Very expensive and harmful hangover.

What's wrong with a good argument? Tarkashastra and debate is a venerable tradition in Greece, India and China.
I know nothing about Scandinavian or Germanic cultures. I'm a mystic Hindu. Mystics don't argue. Yes, scholars do.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I wonder what Vishnu does with his totally, literal penis and what Lakshmi does with her completely material vagina? Do you think Vishnu and Shiva ever take out a ruler and compare length? Durga's periods must be killer. But no, Kali is there to take care of it. I just hope she remembers to cover her icky, sinful breasts because you know Gods can't help themselves. Well, I mean, the straight ones of coursr. The gay ones probably spent too much time with there mothers and are going to need some serious cosmic therapy in order to "pray" it away.....

Should I keep going or is it clear how obsurd it us to project your own biases onto our Gods?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So I have thought about homosexuality for a long time

Why? o_O There's something wrong at a fundamental level, wrong at so many levels, when people spend so much time thinking about what other people do with their junk.

then had to put it to God to tell me what the truth was. And once that was clarified to me, I lost all sympathy for gay people and consider them to be enemies of God.

Well you're not God, and I have no reason or evidence to make me believe God spoke to you. Besides, God talks only to Pat Robertson.

Moreover, since you don't sign my paycheck, pay my bills or put food on my table I could not care less if you have any sympathy.

How is that for bigotry

Pretty hateful.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder what Vishnu does with his totally, literal penis and what Lakshmi does with her completely material vagina? Do you think Vishnu and Shiva ever take out a ruler and compare length? Durga's periods must be killer.

After picturing those images I now feel the need to pry my skull open with a screwdriver (flathead of course) and scrub my visualize cortex with a Brillo Pad to remove the images.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
I wonder what Vishnu does with his totally, literal penis and what Lakshmi does with her completely material vagina? Do you think Vishnu and Shiva ever take out a ruler and compare length? Durga's periods must be killer. But no, Kali is there to take care of it. I just hope she remembers to cover her icky, sinful breasts because you know Gods can't help themselves. Well, I mean, the straight ones of coursr. The gay ones probably spent too much time with there mothers and are going to need some serious cosmic therapy in order to "pray" it away.....

Should I keep going or is it clear how obsurd it us to project your own biases onto our Gods?

But didn't you hear @Fireside_Hindu ? The lingam is literally Shiva's penis!