• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus: No "love" in Hinduism?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Not sure whether the following might cause a debate .. :eek:

In a book by Prabhupada I read that in Hinduism there was no word for “love“. He states that there is prema, which is love of God, and kama, which means “lust”. He also declares that all (non-religious) relationships were merely forms of “sense gratification” or mutual exploitation.

Is this a standard view in Hinduism? What are your opinions?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

In a book by Prabhupada I read that in Hinduism there was no word for “love“. He states that there is prema, which is love of God, and kama, which means “lust”. He also declares that all (non-religious) relationships were merely forms of “sense gratification” or mutual exploitation.

Just for clarification, Prabhupada is only the figure head in ISKCON. He doesn't speak for Hindus in general.

Now, to answer your question: I don't know Sanskrit, so I can't say if there is or isn't a specific word for "love". However, to think that non-religious love is merely sense gratification or "mutual exploitation" is asinine.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

Yes, it is most definitely a standard view in Hinduism. It is such a standard view, in fact, that if you don't believe in it then bad things will start to happen to you, not to mention the fact that it is a crime against the universe to not believe in such. So many bad and horrible and evil things will start happening to you. And the next thing you know, you have wasted your life in trying to find a standard view of "Hinduism". Just say Hare Krishna ten times and all will be well. Seriously, brah.

Maya3

;)

Yeah, not standard no.

I agree with Starry, it's insulting to call non religious love for lust. Not that there is anything wrong with lust, but please.

Maya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Maybe I understand what you mean. You say that there is no word for "romantic love" or "romance".
This is very interesting....because I even started a thread about Kama Sutra, in which I underline that Kama Sutra represents the eclypse of romance. It is the most awful expression of lust, because it is something codified, as if love was a mechanical act teachable thanks to a manual.

But I don't want to say that Kama Sutra has something to do with Hinduism.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/sexuality/168386-kama-sutra-christianity.html

First and foremost, please keep in mind that this is a thread in the Same Faith Debates section for Hindus only---which the title of this thread clearly expresses. Secondly, the Kama Sutra is not a scripture; and thus, it does not seek to "codify" sexual expression. Thirdly, as has been logically illustrated in your own thread, "Kama Sutra and Christianity", by various other posters, your understanding of the Kama Sutra, and that of sexual expression overall, is severely flawed. Lastly, I just lost a few IQ points responding to this post of yours---which is an unfortunate reality with most of your posts since they have a tendency to rob one's IQ because of their lack of substance and rationality.

Stormcry

First thing that prabhupada was none other than Hindu and his Iskcon sect is also a Hindu sect....

Yes, no doubt, According to Hindu scriptures like Purana, non-religious relationships are lust and desire... Prema can be there only to bhagavan... All other so called love relations are based on bodily concept ....

Wherever there's self there's desire, lust... That's it... Even the relation of son and mother isn't an exception to it...

Last edited:

Goblin

Sorcerer
I was gone a bit, but now back

In tantra the two(prema& Kama) become intertwined
you worship your woman as shakti and provide offerings to her.
then by mentaling acknowledging her divinity you transmute your lust for her body into a zealous desire for enlightenment

Andal

resident hypnotist
So my quick check of the Sanskrit online dictionary yields 76 words for love.

Prabhupada had a very ascetic world view and that is what is taught in his community. He does not speak for all of Hinduism. The great stories we celebrate have love as a common theme. In the Ramayana Sita is the epitome of love and Rama must struggle with that love and his duty to society. In the Srimad Bhagavatam we see the Rasa Lila the love between Gopis and Krishna. Mother Parvati's love and struggle for Shivaji. The love Hanumanji has for Sri Rama... Even the love Prajapati Daksha had for Sati. And the list goes on..

Love in Hinduism is multi-dimensional. It's different manifestations are necessary for the continuing on of the generations, working out karma, and attaining God. And of course with the love that is bound in the material world (not prema) it can be a beautiful force of creation or the most horrible element of distraction.

Aum Hari Aum!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
He was a renunciate. I am a house-holder. I love my mother, wife, children and grand children. Meanings differ.
First and foremost, please keep in mind that this is a thread in the Same Faith Debates section for Hindus only -
Hello, Poeticus. The person asked a simple civil question. Why be so testy? And Sirona mentions him/herself as a 'Wannabe Hindu'.

Last edited: