• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus, Heathens, Pagans, etc etc... What do you think?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Another thing besides non-substance philosophy that makes me feel like Buddhism is an outsider on the tree is Buddhism's emphasis on negation instead of assertion--analogous to the difference between apophatic and cataphatic theology--except employed as an empirical tool instead of a way to approach theology. Again, Buddhism has more in common with Daoism in this respect than with the rest of the Western paradigms. This quote from Daoism's Chuangzi succinctly demonstrates both process philosophy and negation/apopthatic approach:

"The torch of chaos and doubt - this is what the sage steers by. {Apophatic approach} So he does not use things but relegates all to the constant. {Change is the Constant--non-substance/process philosophy} This is what it means to use clarity."
~Chuang Tzu chapter 2

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Just a question for folks who practice religions branching from the proto-indo-european tree; how do you feel about the other branches (religions) on that tree?

Obviously, I'm more favorable to Buddhism's sister dharmic religions: Hinduism and Jainism- then I would be just cultural polytheism. I feel more affinity with them.

However, since you asked about deities- typically I accept that the Indo-European traditions venerate more or less the same deities. Indra> is Zeus> is the Slavic high god I don't recall the name of. I also take the more Dharmic and Greek philosophical view of these deities- that they're good beings, and not everything the myths say of them is true.

Indra is probably the best evidence one could point to for the connection in pantheons, and that most all Indo-European polytheism has a high deity of thunder and law. There was even a Greek thinker in ancient times who observed: "that Zeus is Lord in heaven is a saying common to all men".

GoodbyeDave

I can distinguish

1. Other polytheistic primal religions. Obviously I look favourably upon them. Just because I worship Hephaistos doesn't mean that I deny Thor or Murugan.

2. Monotheistic religions. Since they reject me, I naturally reject them. Sikhs and Zoroastrians are more acceptable, as they don't persecute, but the "Abrahamic" ones are a menace.

3. Buddhists and Jains. I cannot accept any of their ideas, which seem like mere human speculation of an implausible nature.

4. Neopagaism: Druids and Wiccans. It's difficult to know what to make of them as they don't seem to have any consistency. Wiccans can be monotheists, duotheists, polytheists, or atheists! It's difficult to have much confidence in religions cooked up in the last century anyway.

bubbleguppy

Serial Forum Observer
Buddhism: Seems pretty cool
Druidry: Seems pretty cool
Heathenry: Seems pretty cool
Hellenism: Seems pretty cool
Hinduism: Seems pretty cool
Jainism: Seems pretty cool
Religio Romana: Seems pretty cool
Rodnovery: Seems pretty cool
Sikhism: Seems pretty cool
Wicca: Ehh... kinda revisionist for my taste
Zoroastrianism: Seems pretty cool

DanishCrow

Seeking Feeds
Norse heathen reconstructionist here. There are a bunch I haven't heard of, but I'll try to write some lines on those I do and offer general opinion afterwards.

Buddhism: The incredible focus on right action is extremely endearing and a lot of buddhists are fine people. The rejection of the material world and its passions make little sense to me, and even gets a little odd in some extremes. For instance, the small-vessel path of letting a caste of monks liberate the rest of buddhists seems like asking for trouble.

Druidry: A kindred path. The druids follow the old ways and recognize the existence of vølvic journeying and the spirits and powers of the natural world. As good as it gets outside of my own ways, IMHO.

Hellenism: A fellow pagan reconstructionism, and very similar to norse faith. I know little about it, but wish I did.

Hinduism: Again, not an area of expertise, and it would appear that it covers as wide an area and array of gods as to be more a general term for all vedic-derived local faiths.

Jainism: Some of their tenets are what's really great about vedicism - Their compassion for animals and fellow humans is exemplary! I could do without the monasticism and creepy sexism, though.

Sikhism: Seems like cool guys, AFAIK they place a lot of weight on social justice, but apart from the cool turban and knife chic I don't really know anything else.

Wicca: Ah, wiccans, my frenemies. A lot of them hark to the old ways, worshipping the sky father and earth mother without preconceived notions. The fluff bunnies and their liberal christian sensibilities can bugger off, please.

Zoroastrianism: I only know that their god is really into fire, which is relatable but also worrying :)