• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus, Heathens, Pagans, etc etc... What do you think?

Aldrnari

Just a question for folks who practice religions branching from the proto-indo-european tree; how do you feel about the other branches (religions) on that tree? Heathens, how do you feel about Zoroastrianism? How do you Hindus feel about Wicca?

I realize that some of these religions might be influenced strongly by other non proto-indo-european descended faiths or practices (such as Wicca, perhaps?), but I'll add them just for the heck of it. ;)

Feel free to suggest any that I might forget (along with your thoughts on them), or correct me if you feel I'm off on what counts under the proto-indo-european umbrella, as well! I'd like to keep this modern, too (I understand the Hittites practiced a qualifying religion, but no group practices that now that I know of).

Buddhism:
Druidry:
Heathenry:
Hellenism:
Hinduism:
Jainism:
Religio Romana:
Rodnovery:
Sikhism:
Wicca:
Zoroastrianism:

What are your thoughts? :)

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Whenever someone says Zoroastiranism I twinge a little and go, Oh!...Zoroastrianism...:pensive:

I think most people on the board understand.

Aldrnari

Whenever someone says Zoroastiranism I twinge a little and go, Oh!...Zoroastrianism...:pensive:

I think most people on the board understand.

Zoroastrianism is truly a beautiful religion, but it is also one of the most misunderstood imho. A lot of misinformation about it out there...

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Zoroastrianism is truly a beautiful religion, but it is also one of the most misunderstood imho. A lot of misinformation about it out there...
Indeed. As an Ex-Zoroastrian I know all too well the conundrums one comes across in practice.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Buddhism:
Hinduism:
Jainism:
Sikhism:

Dharma is Dharma. Hinduism originated the concept (far as I know) and ultimately we all have to take care of the validity of our own paths.

I have something of a soft spot for Sikhism mainly due to the incredible insight that I consider Langar to be, and for Hinduism for having a place for Shaktism.

Druidry:
Heathenry:
Wicca:
Hellenism:

I don't really have much of an opinion about Paganism beyond a vague notion that the specific groups have their own ways, and it seems to be to a considerable extent a customized path as well.

Which is certainly fine far as I am concerned. I just won't presume to know what they believe or seek without asking or being told in a personal basis.

Zoroastrianism:

I just don't know much about it. It seems to be a precursor to both Judaism and Hinduism in some ways. I know they have a role for sacred fire.

Religio Romana:
Rodnovery:

Sorry, I never heard of those two.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you Hindus feel about Wicca?

Funny that you ask that specific question, as I have close ties to both. While I don't self-identify is Hindu, of all world religions, my views are most congruent to Hinduism. My years as a Wiccan were a large influence in my path to where I am on my spiritual compass today.

How do I feel about Wicca (real Wicca, not McWicca)? Personally, I feel it was a stepping stone to my current spiritual realizations and knowledge. Wicca introduced me to polytheism as well as meditation, and after working with the deities I related to as well as working with the elementals, I began to deanthropomorphize my view of divinity which led irrevocably to a pantheistic view of the divine. Meditative practice and reflection on experiences led me to my current views.

So to summarize, I feel that Wicca, while a perfectly legitimate religious practice, for me, is a stepping stone to advanced spiritual development.

Aldrnari

Buddhism:
Hinduism:
Jainism:
Sikhism:

Dharma is Dharma. Hinduism originated the concept (far as I know) and ultimately we all have to take care of the validity of our own paths.

I have something of a soft spot for Sikhism mainly due to the incredible insight that I consider Langar to be, and for Hinduism for having a place for Shaktism.

Druidry:
Heathenry:
Wicca:
Hellenism:

I don't really have much of an opinion about Paganism beyond a vague notion that the specific groups have their own ways, and it seems to be to a considerable extent a customized path as well.

Which is certainly fine far as I am concerned. I just won't presume to know what they believe or seek without asking or being told in a personal basis.

Zoroastrianism:

I just don't know much about it. It seems to be a precursor to both Judaism and Hinduism in some ways. I know they have a role for sacred fire.

Religio Romana:
Rodnovery:

Sorry, I never heard of those two.

Interesting viewpoints. It's amazing just how much religious ideas evolve until they are almost unrecognizable from each other... even those that are so closely related.

As for your views on Zoroastrianism, I could be wrong, but my research has indicated that it developed alongside Hinduism (they are extremely similar in many ways) before splitting off into it's own thing. Maybe not a precursor, but a long lost brother. :)

Religio Romana = Roman Paganism

Rodnovery = Slavic Paganism

As far as I know, at least. ;)

Aldrnari

Funny that you ask that specific question, as I have close ties to both. While I don't self-identify is Hindu, of all world religions, my views are most congruent to Hinduism. My years as a Wiccan were a large influence in my path to where I am on my spiritual compass today.

How do I feel about Wicca (real Wicca, not McWicca)? Personally, I feel it was a stepping stone to my current spiritual realizations and knowledge. Wicca introduced me to polytheism as well as meditation, and after working with the deities I related to as well as working with the elementals, I began to deanthropomorphize my view of divinity which led irrevocably to a pantheistic view of the divine. Meditative practice and reflection on experiences led me to my current views.

So to summarize, I feel that Wicca, while a perfectly legitimate religious practice, for me, is a stepping stone to advanced spiritual development.

I've heard from some Wiccans that they resent that folks often think of their religion as a transitional religion into something else. It does seem to happen a lot... Even I have gotten many of my own ideas from it without taking a deep plunge into the religion, though there is some spiritual depth for those who take it to heart, imo.

I plan on looking more deeply into Hinduism in the future, but even the word "Hinduism" is misleading since it includes many religions that are loosely tied to each other... It's concepts can be confusing, but others do make total sense (such as the arta/asha concept tied to Zoroastrianism). Meh, we'll see. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Just a question for folks who practice religions branching from the proto-indo-european tree; how do you feel about the other branches (religions) on that tree? Heathens, how do you feel about Zoroastrianism? How do you Hindus feel about Wicca?

I realize that some of these religions might be influenced strongly by other non proto-indo-european descended faiths or practices (such as Wicca, perhaps?), but I'll add them just for the heck of it. ;)

Feel free to suggest any that I might forget (along with your thoughts on them), or correct me if you feel I'm off on what counts under the proto-indo-european umbrella, as well! I'd like to keep this modern, too (I understand the Hittites practiced a qualifying religion, but no group practices that now that I know of).

Buddhism:
Druidry:
Heathenry:
Hellenism:
Hinduism:
Jainism:
Religio Romana:
Rodnovery:
Sikhism:
Wicca:
Zoroastrianism:

Well, I'm a Hindu. I respect traditions that view man as part of nature, and in essence practice some sort of character improvement, as well as respect, mysticism, and inclusiveness, as opposed to the dogmatic, "I'm right and you're wrong' exclusive faiths.

As a Hindu, I would rather vehemently disagree with your inclusion of Zoroastrianism, based on the fundamentals. Zoroastrians are perhaps the ultimate in good/evil, seeing two opposing forces in the universe. Hindus, see everything as part of the divine, and only one force. So those two are irreconciably different. But the rest have enough components that are similar for me to admire and respect.

Still, it always boils down to individual adherents, and how they approach life. You can have the 'I'm right and you're wrong' attitude with anybody of any religion, but it's just that some faiths are far more conducive to that that others.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard from some Wiccans that they resent that folks often think of their religion as a transitional religion into something else. It does seem to happen a lot... Even I have gotten many of my own ideas from it without taking a deep plunge into the religion, though there is some spiritual depth for those who take it to heart, imo.

I can see how they would take exception to that, as I'm certain they feel that others viewing their religion as such somehow delegitimizes their belief structure.

I, OTOH, would take that more as a compliment, as I would think that means they hold a legitimate piece of the puzzle.

Aldrnari

Well, I'm a Hindu. I respect traditions that view man as part of nature, and in essence practice some sort of character improvement, as well as respect, mysticism, and inclusiveness, as opposed to the dogmatic, "I'm right and you're wrong' exclusive faiths.

As a Hindu, I would rather vehemently disagree with your inclusion of Zoroastrianism, based on the fundamentals. Zoroastrians are perhaps the ultimate in good/evil, seeing two opposing forces in the universe. Hindus, see everything as part of the divine, and only one force. So those two are irreconciably different. But the rest have enough components that are similar for me to admire and respect.

Still, it always boils down to individual adherents, and how they approach life. You can have the 'I'm right and you're wrong' attitude with anybody of any religion, but it's just that some faiths are far more conducive to that that others.

Ultimately, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism is very much related, even if they are diametrically opposed (ideologically). Avestan and Sanskrit are so linguistically similar, that many linguists suggest they should be considered dialects rather than their own languages. Many Hindu and Zoroastrian concepts are shared, or are polar opposites (such as the Devas/Daevas and the Asuras/Ahuras).

As for your views on inclusivity and religion, I find it interesting. Growing up in a Christian (legalistic, almost fundamental) home, we viewed other denominations with fault, and other Abrahamic religions with disdain (especially Islam). It seems to me that adherents to religions stemming from proto-indo-european culture have this open ended idea of inclusivity (generally) engrained, which is nice. :)

I wonder if this is something that has existed since ancient times, or if this is more of a modern phenomenon?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Buddhism: A great attempt at achieving inner peace with a strange and depressing worldview which sees us reincarnate endlessly on into eternity unless we undertake a deeply personal journey to, as counter-intuitive as it may sound, free ourselves from suffering while ridding ourselves of self;

Druidry: A lovely religious/spiritual/philosophical tradition - depending on the Druid you ask. Some of my best friends are Druids;

Heathenry: A strongly pragmatic but open-minded religious tradition which has its own figurative demons to fight in the form of white supremacists appropriating the gods for their own ****ed up reasons;

Hellenism: My own predominant tradition - though I do not honour the theoi as often as I should. In the past I had less of an excuse; even now I still feel like 'I work all the time' is not enough of a reason. A vital attempt at reconstructing or reviving worship of the Olympians.

Hinduism: How many ****ing gods do these guys have? Very patient when it comes to younger ******* religions encroaching on their space.

Jainism: Human souls soaked in 100% pacifism and incarnated amongst a bunch of ******* religious nutjobs who hate them. Yet still they carry on.

Religio Romana: Another religious tradition under the 'Olympianism' umbrella of Pagan paths. RRs have recently opened a temple dedicated to their gods in Ukraine, of all places. I approve of Alexander Gorev and his team. They should keep doing what they are doing because they are doing a good job.

Rodnovery: Slavic Paganism - I don't know too much about it but I've heard that Russian Rodnovers tend to mix Rodnovery with be right-wing ********.

Sikhism: They have one god, a thing for beards and wearing brightly coloured turbans. All in all, not a bad bunch of people.

Wicca: A numerous but seemingly confused bunch of Pagans; they seem like they want to try polytheism, but only a little. And their worldview consists of circles, triskeles and any number of appropriated religious iconography. Fair enough - you've got to start somewhere, I guess.

Zoroastrianism: A beautiful belief system and the only one of the Great Maker religions which actually makes sense. Values the concept of choice & freedom above all as well as emphasising actions over beliefs. Possibly started out as a philosophy but got bits of older Vedic religions mixed in to become what it was later. A sadly dwindling faith in dire need of a revival since Zoroastrianism proves you can still be a monotheist and not be a dick about it.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ultimately, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism is very much related, even if they are diametrically opposed (ideologically). Avestan and Sanskrit are so linguistically similar, that many linguists suggest they should be considered dialects rather than their own languages. Many Hindu and Zoroastrian concepts are shared, or are polar opposites (such as the Devas/Daevas and the Asuras/Ahuras).

As for your views on inclusivity and religion, I find it interesting. Growing up in a Christian (legalistic, almost fundamental) home, we viewed other denominations with fault, and other Abrahamic religions with disdain (especially Islam). It seems to me that adherents to religions stemming from proto-indo-european culture have this open ended idea of inclusivity (generally) engrained, which is nice. :)

I wonder if this is something that has existed since ancient times, or if this is more of a modern phenomenon?

I agree that Hinduism and Zoroastrianism have shared roots, but that's pretty much where it ends. How two religions came to be so diametrically opposed is beyond me.

As for inclusivity, generally dharmic faiths actually believe that God created many paths so that each embodied soul would have a place to call home. We're all different in so many other ways, why not in how we approach divinity? He/She created (emanated) diversity itself. So the view is that everyone is right, for where they are, for what they need. This belief leads to great tolerance. It simply isn't my way is the only way, but that all paths have a place. Yes, this stands in stark contrast to fundamentalism.

To put it bluntly ... 'My God hates you," versus 'My God loves you."

Mystically, there are 14 smaller nadis within the sushumna current where kundalini rises and the consciousness of the soul evolves from darker instinctive realms to more enlightened versions. Any one of these nadis can be taken to the top.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Buddhism:
Druidry:
Heathenry:
Hellenism:
Hinduism:
Jainism:
Religio Romana:
Rodnovery:
Sikhism:
Wicca:
Zoroastrianism:

My thoughts are friendly regarding them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Buddhism: A great attempt at achieving inner peace with a strange and depressing worldview which sees reincarnate endlessly on into eternity unless we undertake a deeply personal journey to, as counter-intuitive as it may sound, free ourselves from suffering while ridding ourselves of self;

Please allow me to point out that reincarnation is not a Buddhist belief.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Just a question for folks who practice religions branching from the proto-indo-european tree; how do you feel about the other branches (religions) on that tree?
I've never understood how a language tree came about to group cultural faiths. Language certainly has a hand in culture, but the various cultures listed as "Proto-Indo-European" are quite different. To me, it is the same as humans and monkeys sharing a common ancestor, but being very little alike as the paths branched.

Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism: those I consider to be Eastern Religions.

Zoroastrianism I consider Middle Eastern polytheism, along with Canaanite polytheism and Kemeticism (Egyptian polytheism)

Druidry: Not what it once was, sadly. Practically everything known about the ancient Druids was lost, and much of Celtic lore and myth has been heavily Christianized. Though some who claim to have "ancient ties" to Druidry are blowing smoke out their rear, Celtic Paganism (Druidry) holds a special place in my affections as I am ancestrally a good portion Scottish.
Heathenry: Favorable, as I am a Heathen. While I hold high hopes and goals for our future, we do have several problems to iron out; some more pressing and negative than others.
Hellenism & Religio Romana: I don't know much about either, but waaaaaay back when I first delved into Paganism, Athena was my first deity; I was most familiar with Greek lore and myth, and she was the perfect guide for the beginning of my journey.
Rodnovery: Quite favorable, and I view them as cultural cousins (especially since Odin is known in Slavic beliefs, and a Slavic goddess - Leyla - is known as his daughter), honoring a few of their gods in my own way and in their own regard. Sadly, much of Slavic lore was also ground under the heel of Christianity, but quite a bit more is known than the arts of the Druids.
Wicca: Unfavorable. I have never had a positive (real world) experience with Wicca or Wiccans, and generally regard them as haphazard buffet Paganism.

Aldrnari

I've never understood how a language tree came about to group cultural faiths. Language certainly has a hand in culture, but the various cultures listed as "Proto-Indo-European" are quite different. To me, it is the same as humans and monkeys sharing a common ancestor, but being very little alike as the paths branched.

I think this is a very good point, though from what I understand, the gods do have a common root that can be uncovered via lingual reconstruction, and many of the old stories have similar themes (such as Indra and Thor).

That said, they are all so fundamentally different now, but in my opinion, have something interesting to offer. Some of these aspects are more obvious ( such as yoga) while others are still just as useful, though less obviously so (like the runes).

That's been my experience, at least. :)

Aldrnari

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It has been very interesting for me to see other's ideas, and to compare them to my own experiences and ideas. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you mean to focus on contemporary Paganism - the new religious movement that draws inspiration from various indigenous polytheisms, animisms, and to no small extent Eastern traditions as well - five things on the list don't seem to be branches of contemporary Paganism to me. Those would be Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Zoroastrianism. All of those were around long before contemporary Paganism was a thing, and their connection to the contemporary Pagan movement is as a source of inspiration more than anything else.

Still, Hinduism I hold in special regard as it is basically the sole surviving bastion of Paganism that didn't get ripped asunder like the traditions in the West did. Much of contemporary Paganism in the West reflects Hinduism and its quirks. We both argue senselessly about how to define what we are, we both have an incredible amount of diversity under our umbrellas, but are on the whole pluralistic and tolerant (if not welcoming) of that diversity.

As for the contemporary Pagan traditions? Honestly, I don't have much I can say. There's too much diversity within each of these traditions for me to have any meaningful generalizations about them. I can say more about various approaches to these traditions than the traditions themselves. Some focus a lot on historicism and re-enactment or reconstruction, for example. Others focus on cultivating deep relationships with one or a few deities and let direct experience guide the development of their tradition. There are those who fancy expression through the bardic arts, whether it be song, dance, or script. Some take a perspective informed by the inner psyche and workings of the mind, and some are informed by the sciences, tales of human ancestors, modern mythology or works of contemporary narratives, and more. There are just so many directions these paths can be taken in, I wouldn't know where to start.