• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus/Buddhists: collective enlightenment?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I’ve posted about my belief in the collective enlightenment before, but I wanted to ask Hindus/Buddhists about it specifically.

do you think there will be a time when everybody achieves Moksha/Nirvana?

I do.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I’ve posted about my belief in the collective enlightenment before, but I wanted to ask Hindus/Buddhists about it specifically.

I do.
Well I'm not a Hindu per se because my knowledge is limited to wikipedia articles and other posters on RF, but my beliefs are inspired by Advaita Vedanta (and Alan Watts).

I would say it's a confusing thing to think about. Everyone is one and the same, so even if an individual (illusion of ego) achieves Enlightenment in this life, there are still other lives out there to be experienced. I think Enlightenment is only for making this life simpler/easier/more enjoyable.

Not every individual ego achieves Enlightenment, you can look at any heroin addict shivering on the street begging for money, food, a blanket, or even just a hug and they die before they ever realize peace of mind.

But there will come a time when no life exists at all in the universe, and at that point in time there will be something akin to peace of mind.

(Just a disclaimer: I'm doubtful I'll ever fully reach Enlightenment in this life, that requires a lot of work that I'm not willing to fully commit to, just enough to bring myself back to happiness - attachment is real)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

I do.
Oh, that pesky anicca/impermanence! Does it also apply to moksha?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I have been leaning toward Śāktism lately. There is a Śākta scripture called the Devī Bhāgavatam, and it says that Mahādevī, who is seated in each jīva, is leading all of them to liberation. Further, the text says that she is doing that because she is limitless in mercy.

If you ever read about Dvaita Vedānta philosophy and Sadh Vaisnāvism, you might learn that Śrī Madhva Ācārya taught that some jīvas attain liberation while other jīvas never will.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

I do.

I don't. :).
The Buddha's teaching was intended for the individual; not a society...or the entire world population.

ajay0

I do.

Everyone will achieve enlightenment, even the most villainous souls, because they are the embodiments of divinity or Self/Buddha nature at their core and are just forgetful of it due to their external cravings. However such souls would suffer the most while getting to the destination while the others will find it easier and swifter.