• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hindus and Muslims

Sundance

Premium Member
I was reading several articles online about the interactions between Hindus and Muslims, especially in South Asia. It really got me thinking: How do y'all Hindus and Muslims on the forums view each other? How do you see the other religion? What's similar? What's different? Do you believe that peaceful coexistence between the two faiths is possible? Do Hindus and Muslims intermarry? Do the two faiths often mingle traditions and practices?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
From Ahmadiyya Muslim Point of view:
".... There is a tradition reported from the Holy Prophet (sa) which speaks of an Indian prophet by name. In his words:

arabic-studyofislam04.gif

• There was a prophet of God in India who was dark in colour and his name was Kahan.1
Now anyone acquainted with the history of Indian religions would immediately connect this description to Lord Krishna, who is invariably described in the Hindu literature as being dark of complexion. Also, the title Kanhaya is added to his name Krishna. Kanhaya contains the same consonants K,N,H as does the name Kahan -- in no way an insignificant similarity. But whether any non-Arab prophet was mentioned by name or not is only an academic discussion. There is no denying the fact that the Holy Quran makes it incumbent on every Muslim not only to believe in all the prophets, but it also clearly informs us that in every region of the world and in every age, God did raise messengers and prophets."
Prophets

=====

Hinduism @ Hinduism

=====

A Message of Peace @ https://www.alislam.org/library/books/Message-of-Peace.pdf

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading several articles online about the interactions between Hindus and Muslims, especially in South Asia. It really got me thinking: How do y'all Hindus and Muslims on the forums view each other? How do you see the other religion? What's similar? What's different? Do you believe that peaceful coexistence between the two faiths is possible? Do Hindus and Muslims intermarry? Do the two faiths often mingle traditions and practices?

It depends on where individuals come from/ are raised as well as other factors. For instance, numerous Hindus and Muslims have married one another in India.
I think that outside of India, Hindus are probably not viewed as anything better than 'pagans' by the majority of Muslims. This is probably because Hindus are not specifically mentioned to be People of the Book.
I don't know how Hindus view Muslims but again I'm sure it comes down to the individual and the area + history of that place. I know there are plenty of Indian Hindus that hold hatred to Muslims because of the history in India. But I also know Indian Hindus who hold high respect of Muslims and Islam.
The really liberal Hindus are the most likely to see Islam as another pathway to God/Realisation.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on a lot of factors. I mean I grew up in the suburbs of Australia, where religion is more of an after thought and people of all races and creeds are just sort of living side by side. Not always the best of friends, but mostly sort of mellow.
I have noticed prejudice on both sides around me, but my friends and I more or less reject it as......well we just grew up in a different environment than our parents. I have no qualms with Islam.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
May I respectfully point out that there seems to be a considerable economical and even political component in most situations of actual hostility between Muslims and Hindus, at least in India and the Muslim territories that split from it (current Pakistan and Bangladesh)?

What I have read of the Partition and even of the massive migrations that followed it suggest that their religious disagreements would have far less importance were they not mixed with disputes about political representation, land ownership and just plain poverty.

The implication (one that I fully believe to be true) is that at least a significant fraction of the people involved would have a lot less trouble with religious disagreements if they did not perceive them (correctly or otherwise) as involved with their odds of surviving and keeping some dignity. Which is not IMO to say that religions are completely incidental to the situation, perhaps quite to the contrary even.

At the end of the day it is a lot easier to have good will towards a sharply different belief if you do not see it as motivating the possibly imminent ruin of your whole life, so (it seems to me) the conflict is all but absent in Oceania and the Americas except in the most safe, abstract level, since politics and policies are so unrelated to any of those two faiths in those regions.

Sorry for interrupting. I felt it important to point this out early in this thread. I hope for your understanding and I will make an effort to leave this thread to the people actually involved with the matter.

Sundance

Premium Member
As for me, I have nothing but high praises for the religion of Islam and for Muslims themselves. Personally, one of my heroes (Malcolm X) was a Muslim. Gaudiya Vaishnavas respect all faiths while being Hindus, and though we regard Lord Krishna as Parabrahman, we view names of God in every culture, language, and religion as being acceptable. One of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's greatest disciples, Haridasa Thakur, was himself a Muslim and another follower who came much later, Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur, established the Gaudiya Math which drew devotees from Hindus and Muslims of all different castes. Even today, with ISKCON, people from all religions are welcome to join, and all religions are highly respected, because devotional service to God, no matter what you call Him, is what it's all about.

Satyamavejayanti

Namaste,

I have never been to India. but Here in Australia it seems that the Muslims and Hindus leave each other alone for the most part, there may be some fringe elements that accuse us Hindus of being "Idolaters", ect, and see us as inferior, but Generally the majority get along. Bullying in School for being a Hindu is experienced, and in some areas verbal abuse and snide remarks from Muslim youth, i have copped some myself, and it has been the Lebanese Muslim community that has been the culprit especially regarding bullying in School.

In Fiji there is a little bit more segregation and maybe even some elements of un-trust, but no violence and hatred, nor persecution of Hindus by Muslims politically or otherwise.

Here on the forum, i take them as they come.

I see Islam and Hinduism poles apart in nearly every detail. I use Rajiv Malhotra's idea of "Mutual Respect", as a basis and basic requirement for any coexistence to flourish between Hindus and Muslims.

Satyamavejayanti

"DawudTalut, post: 4369793, member: 15022"]Peace be on you.

Namaste,
  • There was a prophet of God in India who was dark in colour and his name was Kahan.1
Now anyone acquainted with the history of Indian religions would immediately connect this description to Lord Krishna, who is invariably described in the Hindu literature as being dark of complexion. Also, the title Kanhaya is added to his name Krishna. Kanhaya contains the same consonants K,N,H as does the name Kahan -- in no way an insignificant similarity. But whether any non-Arab prophet was mentioned by name or not is only an academic discussion. There is no denying the fact that the Holy Quran makes it incumbent on every Muslim not only to believe in all the prophets, but it also clearly informs us that in every region of the world and in every age, God did raise messengers and prophets."

NO

Servant_of_the_One1

I view Hindus as Polytheists and they view me as Monotheist.
Nothing is similar, except that we are humans get sick, and die someday.

Yes coexistence is possible because i believe in words of Allah that says if they seek peace then we muslims must also seek peace. Or the verse that says Allah forbids you not to treat kind/just to people who did not drive you out from ur houses, place.
In reality India and Myanmar are enemy states oppressing Muslims. So the only medicine is through resistance if diplomacy fails.

No muslims and hindus cannot intermarry because we represent different religions totally opposite.

And no we dont mingle traditions. Hindus stays away from Monotheism, and we stay away from Polytheism.

Quran says its haram to insult gods of other religions. So i apply that rule and dont insult what Hindus regard to be holy.

But politics can make people say nasty things about each other.

Last edited:

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Hindous are seen as polytheists by many muslims.
I've even saw an indian serie recently (many are dubbed in arabic) and the parts when they pray before a statue was always cut off.
Muslims can't marry hindus, they're not People of the Book.
As for coexistance with hindus of course there's no problem.

Sundance

Premium Member
I view Hindus as Polytheists and they view me as Monotheist.
Nothing is similar, except that we are humans get sick, and die someday.

Yes coexistence is possible because i believe in words of Allah that says if they seek peace then we muslims must also seek peace. Or the verse that says Allah forbids you not to treat kind/just to people who did not drive you out from ur houses, place.
In reality India and Myanmar are enemy states oppressing Muslims. So the only medicine is through resistance if diplomacy fails.

No muslims and hindus cannot intermarry because we represent different religions totally opposite.

And no we dont mingle traditions. Hindus stays away from Monotheism, and we stay away from Polytheism.

Quran says its haram to insult gods of other religions. So i apply that rule and dont insult what Hindus regard to be holy.

But politics can make people say nasty things about each other.

Blessings and Peace, Servant_of_the_One1! Thank you for your response. I will have to disagree with you and say that there are countless samprayadas (religious traditions), denominations, sects, etc. within Hinduism, so to characterise all of it as polytheistic would be erroneous. On the contrary, all different conceptions of the Divine are found and very much welcome. Plus, some Hindus actually believe that all of the various deities are different emanations of one Ultimate Reality. In fact, my specific denomination - Gaudiya Vaishnavism - is monotheistic.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hindous are seen as polytheists by many muslims.
I've even saw an indian serie recently (many are dubbed in arabic) and the parts when they pray before a statue was always cut off.
Muslims can't marry hindus, they're not People of the Book.
As for coexistance with hindus of course there's no problem.

Don't you think being denied rights to marriage is a significant restriction?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No.
We don't see it like that. It is not seen as a big restriction.
Thanks for being so sincere, but surely you agree that leads to a reinforcement of Muslims and Hindus as separate communities that can't mix very well?

Servant_of_the_One1

Blessings and Peace, Servant_of_the_One1! Thank you for your response. I will have to disagree with you and say that there are countless samprayadas (religious traditions), denominations, sects, etc. within Hinduism, so to characterise all of it as polytheistic would be erroneous. On the contrary, all different conceptions of the Divine are found and very much welcome. Plus, some Hindus actually believe that all of the various deities are different emanations of one Ultimate Reality. In fact, my specific denomination - Gaudiya Vaishnavism - is monotheistic.

But the overall of Hinduism is regarded to be polytheism. That was my point :)

I mean if u ask anyone about Hinduism what comes first on their minds they would probably say " many gods", right?